Frills and Ruffles

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Frills and Ruffles

Post by Dust »

Yeah, that was a detour, but I thought it was an important one. You can only push the help so far if they won't accept it.

On frivolity, it's the colors I always wanted more of. Yellows, oranges, reds, and even greens and blues. Bright yellow paired with black for high contrast has always been a favorite. Never did have a desire for ruffles though, but that's just me.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:27 pm Yeah, that was a detour, but I thought it was an important one. You can only push the help so far if they won't accept it.

On frivolity, it's the colors I always wanted more of. Yellows, oranges, reds, and even greens and blues. Bright yellow paired with black for high contrast has always been a favorite. Never did have a desire for ruffles though, but that's just me.
Yes colour, I'm a big fan of colour. I realised once I started wearing skirts that I had been breaking out of the mould for a while in colourful tees mostly.

As for ruffles, I will admit to being more a pleats fan or rough pleats. Is that the definition of a ruffle?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:41 pm We are treated as beasts of burden in most cases, nothing more. Even learning to treat yourself as a full human being can be a challenge for some men.
And if you are nervous, people can sense that, too, and aren't drawn to it at all...
Hi Dust
Just want to pick up on these points you raised.
The first part has not really been the case in my own experience. I was cowed by societal expectation without a doubt but I cannot say that there was any conscious intention to cause actual harm. My learning, awakening if you like was to be able to choose whose opinion actually mattered to me.
The outcome was a very limited group indeed.
Nervous, hell yeah and that's a challenge which takes time and practice to overcome. However, whether or not people are "drawn" is less important than you simply being you.
Sadly, a lot of the time it is other men who will prevent that. I still believe that we, as a group are our own worst enemies.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 pm Hi Dust
Just want to pick up on these points you raised.
The first part has not really been the case in my own experience. I was cowed by societal expectation without a doubt but I cannot say that there was any conscious intention to cause actual harm.
Actual harm can be caused without conscious intention. It's the old "road to hell is paved with good intentions" thing.
STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 pm My learning, awakening if you like was to be able to choose whose opinion actually mattered to me.
The outcome was a very limited group indeed.
Nervous, hell yeah and that's a challenge which takes time and practice to overcome. However, whether or not people are "drawn" is less important than you simply being you.
Yep. Practice, practice, practice. I'm still nervous even wearing kilts around people who matter that haven't seen me in one before. Some matter more, some matter less.

Then there is the whole work thing. I don't care what my boss actually thinks. Not in the slightest. I do worry about what he could do to me and my career.
STEVIE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:23 pm Sadly, a lot of the time it is other men who will prevent that. I still believe that we, as a group are our own worst enemies.
Steve.
Absolutely! But I feel that much of the enforcement by other men is them taking it upon themselves to do what they think women want. Protect them and their turf for them, even if most of them don't actually care.

Thus the incredible value of a supportive woman. If you are out in a skirt with your wife and she appears okay with it, other men are less likely to feel the need to step in on behalf of womankind.* The less you look like a threat to women (and kids), the less men will give you crap.

So more frills or things clearly from across the isle, the more "female turf" that needs to be defended. Men don't even defend their own turf in the slightest, but women's? Watch out! Girls doing "guy stuff"? Men jump to help them out and make them feel welcome! Even if it changes the well established dynamics of the space. A guy doing "girl stuff"? No, we can't have that! Outlaw it! Run them out!

*This may also be a bit of bystander effect, where if people see others not reacting, they are less likely to step in, even if there is a real reason to.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Here's a dress I picked up for free somewhere that I consider in the "frills and ruffles" category. I don't think I'll ever wear it out unless it was an occasion to be silly.
deb5_1cs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Jim wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:40 am Here's a dress I picked up for free somewhere that I consider in the "frills and ruffles" category.
That is approaching my metaphorical pink tutu.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

denimini wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:25 am That is approaching my metaphorical pink tutu.
I don't have a metaphorical pink tutu, but I did go out this morning in an actual pink tutu (with white tights and trainers). I also had violet-tinted sunglasses and put my hair in two bunches instead of a single ponytail. At least two people feigned complete nonchalance as I passed them on my way to the park for a 5 km fun run.

(No, I am not posting a photo!)
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Not even decapitated?
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:31 pm
I don't have a metaphorical pink tutu, but I did go out this morning in an actual pink tutu (with white tights and trainers). I also had violet-tinted sunglasses and put my hair in two bunches instead of a single ponytail. At least two people feigned complete nonchalance as I passed them on my way to the park for a 5 km fun run.

This is a curious assembly of clothing. I’m not knocking it, just interested in the story behind what made you wear a tutu and tights whilst running? Mostly curious about the tutu. When I run races, there are some wearing tutus. Usually as a group for some purpose. Tutus seem superfluous as they don’t seem to add anything functional to a running kit. Do have a very in-your-face presence. Make people notice. So just curious. But also kudos for you doing you
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

ScotL wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:51 am
Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:31 pm

This is a curious assembly of clothing. I’m not knocking it, just interested in the story behind what made you wear a tutu and tights whilst running? Mostly curious about the tutu. When I run races, there are some wearing tutus. Usually as a group for some purpose. Tutus seem superfluous as they don’t seem to add anything functional to a running kit. Do have a very in-your-face presence. Make people notice. So just curious. But also kudos for you doing you
It was a tutu-themed run, which happens sporadically just because the organizers like silly costumes. Last time I bought a tutu and wore it with my usual running kit, but this time I was marshaling, not running, so I thought I would throw everything at it! On the nearest Saturdays to Burns' Night and St Andrew's Day I will be there in a tartan kilt...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm As for ruffles, I will admit to being more a pleats fan or rough pleats. Is that the definition of a ruffle?
I think ruffles are like pleats without defined folds. Your term rough pleats would suffice.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm As for ruffles, I will admit to being more a pleats fan
Graduated pleats are absolutely gorgeous! Image And ruffles when done tastefully can look just as great.

Take the "shuttlecock" on a Ruska Roma skirt. Called such because it actually helps the skirt to stay in the air during the dance.
Picsart_23-06-09_12-58-08-660_copy_800x1599.jpg
I'm so glad I was able to snag mine just before Mr Putin decided to go warmonger. They're all but impossible to export from Russia now. Impatiently waiting on some kind of resolution so I can finally buy more! :|
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

BouffantBelle wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:33 pm
Barleymower wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:50 pm As for ruffles, I will admit to being more a pleats fan
Graduated pleats are absolutely gorgeous! Image And ruffles when done tastefully can look just as great.

Take the "shuttlecock" on a Ruska Roma skirt. Called such because it actually helps the skirt to stay in the air during the dance.

Picsart_23-06-09_12-58-08-660_copy_800x1599.jpg

I'm so glad I was able to snag mine just before Mr Putin decided to go warmonger. They're all but impossible to export from Russia now. Impatiently waiting on some kind of resolution so I can finally buy more! :|
It is a gorgeous skirt and for me says what skirt wearing is all about. Not that I would ever have the nerve to wear it.
I bought my daughter a dirndl and she loved it.
I just bought this hobbs pleated skirt. Nearly everything I have is pleated.
Screenshot_20230611_204612_eBay.jpg
BouffantBelle

Post by BouffantBelle »

Barleymower wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:14 pm I just bought this hobbs pleated skirt. Nearly everything I have is pleated.
Smart! Can't beat a bit of pleat. And I see from the code it's another ebay find. Congrats! Image
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

With a new post here today I opened the thread for a reminder about frills, ruffles and color. This evening I'm still sitting here in the skirt I wore to Meeting for Worship this morning followed by a lunch with the group in a CCRC, so as usual, scads of people about. My apology for the lousy photography, my arm was not long enough for a selfie, tried the ole mirror thing -- lousy light and added a close up under the closet light to give you an idea of the colors and pleats on this very full skirt. It is an oldie, worn thin by now, and a favorite. I get more compliments on this skirt than any other I've ever worn -- including three more today, one from a woman, and two from men, one young, one old that were among the crowd of folks celebrating a family members 100th. birthday.

For you who are still wary of what people might think: As flashy as it is, I didn't notice heads turning in the cafeteria, though I don't watch for such I was carrying a large tray of food and drinks across the length of the room in route to a private dining room -- but I've been there maybe 8 times now, so even this skirt on a man garners little attention, and when it does -- smiles and compliments. So, if you love your frills, ruffles and colors -- go for it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Y7K3zn4DoU2NYpY6