Harry Garside

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Harry Garside

Post by Barleymower »

https://www.queerty.com/olympian-harry- ... s-20230418

Probably one of the best advocates for MIS I've seen.
What a great guy.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Harry Garside

Post by Coder »

Wow, excellent article - surprised he hasn't popped up in articles before.

Also - what the heck is a "hot little trash rat"?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Yeah, surprised I've never come across him. It's the first time I have felt faintly tempted to follow someone on Instagram.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

From the article “The star explained that he gets 'ripped down all the time' and that the attacks come from people who feel 'not free in their life to express themselves'”

Too true.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

ScotL wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:52 pm From the article “The star explained that he gets 'ripped down all the time' and that the attacks come from people who feel 'not free in their life to express themselves'”
Yeah, that's brilliant. Crab-in-a-bucket mentality is alive and well.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:34 pm
Yeah, that's brilliant. Crab-in-a-bucket mentality is alive and well.
Crab-in-a-bucket mentality. Never heard it out that way before but that’s fantastically accurate.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

He added: “I guess chopping people down for being who they are, people need to be really careful about what they are saying, especially online — just because you can’t see someone, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t impact them.”

Indeed. I've wondered if this might be some of the reason behind the almost daily carnage we have to witness, not to mention the high suicide rates among people of all types.

One practice I think might help is to eliminate social media from ones life. I'm disappointment that so many articles posted come with photos that can only be viewed with an active instagram account... something I don't and won't have.

Unfortunately toxic humanity doesn't seem to be slowing down...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:38 am He added: “I guess chopping people down for being who they are, people need to be really careful about what they are saying, especially online — just because you can’t see someone, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t impact them.”
This is studied. When you say something nasty to another’s face, you see their reaction. Hurting others causes a negative reaction in us when done in person. Online, if you text something bad to another, you may get a reply that they’re hurt, but not the visceral reaction. This is tied to a decaying of people’s empathy
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

And of course he's doing this under his own name while attackers use a pseudonym. I may not choose his style but why shouldn't he.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Ozdelights wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:35 pm And of course he's doing this under his own name while attackers use a pseudonym. I may not choose his style but why shouldn't he.
It’s always easy to be belligerent when anonymous.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

[
moonshadow wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:38 am Unfortunately toxic humanity doesn't seem to be slowing down...
No Moon, it actually appears to be accelerating.
Toxic is toxic too, regardless of where the poison comes from or how it is administered.
FLbreezy wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:34 pm Crab-in-a-bucket mentality is alive and well.
First time I saw this expression was in the Terry Pratchett novel, Unseen Academicals. Excellent book, highly humorous with serious messages.
Especially on the subjects of group mentality, prejudice and intolerance.
Mr Garside, is in a different category of celeb in a skirt. The boxing world unlike Hollywood would have a much narrower view of how men and women should behave and clothe their bodies.
In my view, this makes him a sight more courageous than the Brad Pitts etc of this world.
In fact, his world probably parallels our own much more closely too. His message a lot more relevant to us here.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I think he is really sticking his neck out. I have read a bit more into what he has to say and he had a difficult time at school and was afraid to show his true self. He has also talked about male suicide rates and wants to help reduce that number. Good on him.

When it comes to Brad Pitt level celebs I have noticed that they can make any red carpet statement but if they were to do it outside of an event, the scrutiny comes in heavily. LeBron James is an example.