Mary Quant: the fashion designer who shocked the establishment and defined an era

News from High Street, for the Fashionistas among us! Couture only here please; if you can buy it off the rack, try another forum.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Mary Quant: the fashion designer who shocked the establishment and defined an era

Post by Coder »

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-style/f ... ed-an-era/

Why is this relevant for MIS? Not entirely - but she was a huge influence on skirted fashion, helping usher in the miniskirt and such looks:
It is hard now to understand the power of her influence and the shock of the new coltish, childlike fashion of the time that focused attention on long legs when tights with all kinds of decorative effects in all colours replaced stockings and suspenders. “Good designers must catch the spirit of the day. The whole point of fashion is to make fashionable clothes available to everyone,” she once said. Some of her most famous designs included PVC raincoats, skinny rib sweaters, hot pants, jersey dresses and one piece suits called “onesies”. She also challenged established gender norms by promoting trousers and suits as fashionable womenswear.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mary Quant: the fashion designer who shocked the establishment and defined an era

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I was tempted to wear a miniskirt in honour of the occasion, but I don't' think anyone would get the reference.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mary Quant: the fashion designer who shocked the establishment and defined an era

Post by denimini »

Yes, a name I have been very familiar with.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I was just reading the chapter about her in https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250275806/skirts a few days before the stories broke about her death. Quite an amazing person in terms of how she affected the fashion world and broke some class barriers in terms of access to her designs.