CNN: Look of the Week: Are we about to see more men in tights?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

CNN: Look of the Week: Are we about to see more men in tights?

Post by Coder »

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/tan-f ... index.html

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here for a MIS article. Just one passing reference:
In 2023, the "Queer Eye" host's lavender-hued tights — which he paired with a black linen short-suit and chunky sandals — are provocative in their own right, and could become part of the gender-blurring fashion trends that have seen men donning on skirts and sporting nail art. (In 2020, Harry Styles sent shock waves across the internet when he appeared on the cover of independent British magazine Beauty Papers wearing nothing but a pair of fishnets and Gucci loafers.)
No comments section, so we can't see what CNN's mostly liberal readers think about any of this.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: CNN: Look of the Week: Are we about to see more men in tights?

Post by ScotL »

Don’t love his shoe choice but I think it’s otherwise a really great look
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Smart. Hope it catches on. Opaque tights are practical garments.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

ScotL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:04 pm Don’t love his shoe choice but I think it’s otherwise a really great look
I think this is proof that even the so-called "experts" have no idea what to do about shoes for men in the absence of long pants...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

From the article:
And unlike many celebrity-fronted trends, painterly pantyhose are cheap, endlessly cheerful and easily accessible. Just pick your color.
This is an interesting observation. The most famously masculine skirt of all time, the kilt, is horrendously expensive. That's likely one reason it hasn't caught on more than it has.

Tights of the athletic variety have been making headway for decades now, despite the male-marketed varieties from companies like under armor costing around $50 American two decades ago (first and last time I bought from them). Athletic wear has been making it's way into the mainstream, for better or worse, and with it tights for men in limited cases.

If pantyhose style legwear for men becomes a thing I'll take it. It may not be the mainstream men's skirts of our dreams, but it's still a welcome improvement over the boring drab uniform of our fathers. And it may even open up shorter hemlines for men as well. According to the article the same opened up the door to the mini skirt for women:
... whimsical tights were the perfect companion for (and perhaps distraction from) the controversially high hemline of her mini skirt.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:20 pm According to the article the same opened up the door to the mini skirt for women:
... whimsical tights were the perfect companion for (and perhaps distraction from) the controversially high hemline of her mini skirt.
Yes - I saw this point echoed in some articles on Mary Quant, the "inventor" of the miniskirt.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:20 pm whimsical tights
Hey
We have that word again.
Forget the practical guys and make with the whimsy.
Take the fun and make it your own, Mary Q was definitely right.
Steve.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:50 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:04 pm Don’t love his shoe choice but I think it’s otherwise a really great look
I think this is proof that even the so-called "experts" have no idea what to do about shoes for men in the absence of long pants...
Excellent point. The old “would you like a brown show today or would you rather a black shoe, sir?” as the only selection for men is just that. Old and limited. Not sure what else would look good with guys but I am by no means a fashionista.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Dust wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:20 pm From the article:
And unlike many celebrity-fronted trends, painterly pantyhose are cheap, endlessly cheerful and easily accessible. Just pick your color.
This is an interesting observation. The most famously masculine skirt of all time, the kilt, is horrendously expensive. That's likely one reason it hasn't caught on more than it has.

Tights of the athletic variety have been making headway for decades now, despite the male-marketed varieties from companies like under armor costing around $50 American two decades ago (first and last time I bought from them). Athletic wear has been making it's way into the mainstream, for better or worse, and with it tights for men in limited cases.

If pantyhose style legwear for men becomes a thing I'll take it. It may not be the mainstream men's skirts of our dreams, but it's still a welcome improvement over the boring drab uniform of our fathers. And it may even open up shorter hemlines for men as well. According to the article the same opened up the door to the mini skirt for women:
It is amazing how grown, mature and otherwise serious women can wear crazy tights and be completely acceptable as just showing a bit of whimsy. Dude does it and he’s accused of being gay (though this connection is always lost on me), peculiar or doing it to show off/make headlines.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

This dude does whimsy quite a lot and guess what?
I don't rightly care what anyone else thinks of me for it.
Compromise yourself all you wish but that just means that your life is not your own.
I'd probably have never escaped the trousered tyranny if I hadn't found that little gem.
Women don't ask for permission, they shouldn't and neither should men.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 am This dude does whimsy quite a lot and guess what?
I don't rightly care what anyone else thinks of me for it.
Compromise yourself all you wish but that just means that your life is not your own.
I'd probably have never escaped the trousered tyranny if I hadn't found that little gem.
Women don't ask for permission, they shouldn't and neither should men.
Steve.
Quite right. There's always hope on the trouser front.