Dresses?

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jcny

Re: Dresses?

Post by jcny »

I like a drop-waist shirtdress, myself - seems the best fitted to a male body shape.
phathack
Member Extraordinaire

Post by phathack »

I have quite few dresses that I think look good on me.
I buy them online from Venus, Torrid, Amazon, and Roaman's.
The key is to watch the Neck & Bust line and it's not too constructed to fit a specific body type.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I recently picked up this brown dress that looks like a long shirt at The Princeton Closet with my wife's semi-approval. ("It's OK.")

It came with a belt. One loses some of the comfort of a dress when there is something tight around the waist. Does it look much better with the belt on?
DSCN3413cs.jpg
DSCN3398c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Jim wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:16 pm Does it look much better with the belt on?
I would say not. The belt is designed to draw attention to the slender waist, so if you don't have one, you don't really benefit from having that part of the body outlined!
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Jim wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:16 pm I recently picked up this brown dress that looks like a long shirt at The Princeton Closet with my wife's semi-approval. ("It's OK.")
Definitely looks masculine which may explain your wife’s tepid approval. On a woman, it would look like something a woman would wear to a factory during the war before they were allowed to wear pants. A functional garment for warmth and clothing oneself.

On you, it’s a man’s dress. It’s remarkable. With or without the belt.
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

I wear the Purple Rain Adventure dress. It’s a comfortable, well fitting unisex dress, and it is the best hiking dress. See thus review with images. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/purple- ... ure-dress/
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

SkirtedWalker wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:43 pm I wear the Purple Rain Adventure dress. It’s a comfortable, well fitting unisex dress, and it is the best hiking dress. See thus review with images. https://www.trailspace.com/gear/purple- ... ure-dress/
I like her hiking “kilts.” Is the dress of similar material? Cause the one thing I do not like is the lack of stretch
SkirtedWalker

Post by SkirtedWalker »

ScotL wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:00 pmI like her hiking “kilts.” Is the dress of similar material? Cause the one thing I do not like is the lack of stretch
The lower dress material is the same as the skirts and kilts. The upper is a comfortable mesh, as are the side panels. Mandy describes this material in the dress product page. I like the wide over-the-shoulder design. Black, gray, and stellar blue are my favorite materials for color and being light weight. The 4-pockets are so neat, and these are on the dress, skirts, and kilts.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:28 pm I'd say I am a dress convert too.
I have pinafore, knitted, shirt and shift styles which all work reasonably well for me.
In addition there are more dresses than skirts on the market at the moment too so more choice too.
In terms of wear and comfort I haven't found a dress any different to a skirt.
Perhaps in high summer the linen shirt dresses are way cooler than anything else.
Steve.
I wanted to try a dress and found a size 22 hell bunny dress my wife bought from charity shop, didn't like and put in a pile ready to go back.
I don't consider myself to be a big man, I'm about 5"10, 13.5 St and a size 16 skirt. The hell bunny dress was a bit tight on my shoulders, I think I could do with a 24.
I did think that I'm one of the unlucky ones which dresses don't fit. There's also not a lot of choice in the size 24 range. Any ideas?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi BM
There is only trial, error and perseverance.
I think you know that I have only one golden rule, suit myself and to hell with anyone else.
Since I wrote that nearly 2 years ago I'd say my "conversion" is quite complete.
Linen is definitely best for hot weather and that was what I wore in hospital most of the time.
The other styles which have become a staple are the tee and polo shirt looks.
When does a tee shirt become a dress?
I'd say when it covers the nether regions and from what I have seen recently a lot of girls take that to the narrowest possible margins.
On that topic, also be very aware that sunlight can render some fabrics near transparent so superhero underwear is not advisable.
One other thing that has not changed is the range of dresses still outstrips that of skirts.
Final update, my latest acquisition is an Adidas tee dress in scarlet, photos will follow.
Steve
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Most trial followed by error! The dress I had on yesterday cost a few ££ only but had flappy bits, so I went at them with some scissors and cut a hole in the dress. Dress went in the clothing bin before Mrs BM came home. Oops.
She's got a new dress in the post which will fit her much better so I hope all will be forgiven.

The guy who runs the fashion freedom event and has a Ted talk has a nice blue tunic dress which I would like.

I have a linen/viscose skirt which is much better than I thought it would be. Not so sure about tee shirt dresses except the one from addidas.

Today I, like most MIS am also in a polo with a skirt...
Screenshot_20230621_104554_Gallery.jpg
Hope the recovery is going well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Barleymower wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:41 pm
STEVIE wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:28 pm I'd say I am a dress convert too.
I have pinafore, knitted, shirt and shift styles which all work reasonably well for me.
In addition there are more dresses than skirts on the market at the moment too so more choice too.
In terms of wear and comfort I haven't found a dress any different to a skirt.
Perhaps in high summer the linen shirt dresses are way cooler than anything else.
Steve.
I wanted to try a dress and found a size 22 hell bunny dress my wife bought from charity shop, didn't like and put in a pile ready to go back.
I don't consider myself to be a big man, I'm about 5"10, 13.5 St and a size 16 skirt. The hell bunny dress was a bit tight on my shoulders, I think I could do with a 24.
I did think that I'm one of the unlucky ones which dresses don't fit. There's also not a lot of choice in the size 24 range. Any ideas?
One’s perception of oneself always warrants critical examination. Like you I am 5 ft 10 ins but I weigh a tad under 12 stone, take a size 12 skirt and a 14 in a dress. I am 68 and physically very fit (resting heart rate in the 40s). I have done hard exercise routinely and regularly from my mid 20s. I am lucky, but the more exercise I do the luckier I get.

Don’t misunderstand me - the point I am making is that anyone can get and stay fit. My luck was in starting young but it’s never too late to start.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Thanks for the reply Midas. I was quite a skinny teen then did a lot of weight training because my mate had a gym. The result was a deep back which never went away even years after i stopped training.
If I really pushed myself to lose the excess fat then I think I would get down to about 12st 7. At 57 I have definitely a few pounds around the waist line. My rested heart rate is 63. I'm not as fit as you but neither am a FB with heart disease.
Since the pandemic I work from home which doesn't help.
Never going to look good in a dress. Maybe a tunic or a kaftan...there some lovely dresses out there that don't fit.
I don't want to look feminine anyway🙂
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:49 pm I don't want to look feminine anyway
For example,
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

You are right Steve you look good and not at all feminine.
I have a real problem though. I love all that soft floaty feminine stuff but don't want to look feminine. It's a fine balance I can tell you!