Dress shopping in Perth (Scotland not Australia)

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Dress shopping in Perth (Scotland not Australia)

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rivegauche wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:28 am This one by Kin is not shaped.

In their sale I also got https://www.saharalondon.com/sale/explo ... een-bl.htm
I like the Kin dress but not sure I could get away with it. The green Sahara dress is nice, but looks designed to accommodate more hip width than I have.
Andy_G

Post by Andy_G »

I’m intrigued! What is different about the way men who are shopping for themselves look through the dresses? And I guess if you say you don’t need a gift receipt, which I never do, suggests it’s for ourselves?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Andy_G wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 pm I’m intrigued! What is different about the way men who are shopping for themselves look through the dresses? And I guess if you say you don’t need a gift receipt, which I never do, suggests it’s for ourselves?
In my own case, what I am wearing is a bit of a clue.
Otherwise, it is just browsing as per usual.
Twice, in the last ten years I have had to shop for trousers, I found the irony rather amusing.
Steve.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Andy_G wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:38 pm I’m intrigued! What is different about the way men who are shopping for themselves look through the dresses? And I guess if you say you don’t need a gift receipt, which I never do, suggests it’s for ourselves?
You would have to ask Monica - I'm just reporting what she told me. I assume that men buying for themselves look at dresses differently. Never underestimate the ability of some women to see into your mind.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Well, if I'm at all interested, I first hold it up to my body to see about how far down on my legs the bottom hem is. That should be a clue. Then when I take it to the fitting room that suggests it is for me.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Midas wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:06 pm It depends on the shape of the man. If fat with round shoulders and a beer belly it will be difficult, more like a tent. There are plenty of women who are this shape and look appalling in a dress.
Perhaps a tent dress would look okay for more rotund people.

Regarding the links posted thus far.....

There seems to be an interest in designs that lack a defined waist line. Well, that avoids an issue. And I think that this lack would look good on a man.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Grok wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:05 pmThere seems to be an interest in designs that lack a defined waist line. Well, that avoids an issue. And I think that this lack would look good on a man.
The thing is is that healthy men have distinct waistlines that are smaller than their shoulders and hips, it's just not as extreme as it is in healthy women. So, some definition at the waist makes sense for guys, but not as much as for the gals.

Note here that I explicitly called out "healthy". This leaves out the obese and the "super-'fit'" (e.g. the "Peloton Princesses" of size 0 who are too scrawny to function properly from a biological point of view).
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Scroll down for skirts and dresses.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:45 am You can find lot of tips about dresses for men if you search for tips for the body shapes "upside-down triangle" and "rectangle".
Grok wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:03 pm Scroll down for skirts and dresses.
Interesting, but I would specifically disobey some of the suggestions in the latter website. Some of these tips are designed to counteract the masculine appearance of broad shoulders by reducing the emphasis on them, but as a man, what I would look for is a dress that supports or enhances that effect (just as I look for a skirt that does NOT aim to enhance the hips that I haven't got). If I got the chance to design a dress for myself, I would want something with relatively square shoulders, like a man's shirt or jacket. (I often pair a skirt with a formal man's jacket, a heavy leather jacket, or an overcoat.)
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

By "defined waist" I meant a distinct horizontal seam. This is often too high for men on some designs of dresses. Other dresses give you a waist in your figure by shape or even by colour (an illusion dress), and some designs emphasise the waist by gathering the fabric on one side - which also helps conceal any tummy. I would also avoid any frills or complicated necklines. In the Perth shop I bought one shirt dress with no waist and two jumper dresses that were basically just lengthened V-necked jerseys but with a slightly waisted shape.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:20 pm
Interesting, but I would specifically disobey some of the suggestions in the latter website. Some of these tips are designed to counteract the masculine appearance of broad shoulders by reducing the emphasis on them, but as a man, what I would look for is a dress that supports or enhances that effect (just as I look for a skirt that does NOT aim to enhance the hips that I haven't got). If I got the chance to design a dress for myself, I would want something with relatively square shoulders, like a man's shirt or jacket. (I often pair a skirt with a formal man's jacket, a heavy leather jacket, or an overcoat.)
Good points.

BTW, you seem to have developed your own version of a skirt suit. Looks different from a woman's version. A man's jacket goes well with a longer skirt.