What I learned from nail varnish

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

What I learned from nail varnish

Post by crfriend »

There's an odd topic, but sometimes wisdom comes at one from odd angles.

And, thus it happened that after having all sorts of problems with the moisturisers I was using on my legs to get rid of the winter "dragon skin" causing problems for my fingernails. A request for technical advice from my lady-friend in Savannah produced nothing of real value -- other than to avoid moisturisers with lanolin -- and so I decided to lay down a layer of clear-coat on my fingernails.

The varnish seems to have sovved some of the problems, but has produced other "results", one of which is that I am actually harder on my left hand than on my right -- even though I am nominally right-handed. This was a bit of a surprise. I'm not sure precisely what that effect is down to just yet; perhaps I'm just a clutz and am naturally harder on my left hand than the right -- or perhaps I really do use the left for work more often than the right.

One nice outcome from the experiment, though, has been that I've largely stopped biting my fingernails and they're starting to grow out (slowly) causing me to need to properly use a nail-file. But at least they're not soft and mushy now...

I really ought to get some fresh stuff, and what I've been using is likely a decade old and has the consistency of "Lock-Tite" (which is a product for locking set-screws in place on certain pieces of hardware) and what I've been using to close gaps in small bits of metal-work for a while, most notably my necklace.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!