The Peak: 2023 menswear fashion trends: More skirts, casual suits and cashmere

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

The Peak: 2023 menswear fashion trends: More skirts, casual suits and cashmere

Post by Coder »

https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/gall ... -cashmere/
This, in particular, sees clothes seemingly ‘borrowed’ from women’s wardrobes, like the skirt, slowly but surely making their way into menswear. According to the global fashion search engine Stylight, Google* searches for ‘skirt for men’ were up 15% in January. And the phenomenon continues to grow, since the #skirtsformen hashtag already has some 12.7 million views on Gen Z’s favorite social network, TikTok.
Only linking to it because it didn't fall into the trap a lot of other media articles to - it mentions men's masculinity as being "multifaceted" - but that's pretty much all it says.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: The Peak: 2023 menswear fashion trends: More skirts, casual suits and cashmere

Post by ScotL »

Just like a woman’s femininity is multifaceted.

I must say I’ve been struggling to think of the proper definition for “masculinity” and “femininity” without consulting a dictionary that I worry will provide a biased look.

Im afraid the Websters dictionary explanation will likely be shaped by the old gender norms.

But suggesting either term is not multifaceted is akin to holding on to rigid gender rules on behavior that again were decreed before we were born and created without our consent or input.
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: The Peak: 2023 menswear fashion trends: More skirts, casual suits and cashmere

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:09 am https://www.thepeakmagazine.com.sg/gall ... -cashmere/
This, in particular, sees clothes seemingly ‘borrowed’ from women’s wardrobes, like the skirt, slowly but surely making their way into menswear. According to the global fashion search engine Stylight, Google* searches for ‘skirt for men’ were up 15% in January. And the phenomenon continues to grow, since the #skirtsformen hashtag already has some 12.7 million views on Gen Z’s favorite social network, TikTok.
Only linking to it because it didn't fall into the trap a lot of other media articles to - it mentions men's masculinity as being "multifaceted" - but that's pretty much all it says.
This is one of the better “menswear” articles I’ve read because the tone feels less “OMG, skirts!!!!!!!!” and more “look at the new fashion for this year.” Though the “new” trends include skirts and they do make mention of the new ability of menswear to break the old mode, it just seems less in your face, over the top crazy.

I think this is progress.

And it helps that if the top picture with the three different outfits, the middle one with a skirt seems the most Mainstream. Guy on the left has a huge bow that looks odd and guy on the right looks like an old East German Stasi agent.