Ideal outfit

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ideal outfit

Post by Coder »

I've been mulling the "ideal outfit" over in my head for a few weeks now. At times I think I want to wear something in the dark academia style, but I'm pretty close to it already, I just need to work on different shirts (and maybe shoes too).

But really what I really want is to design and wear my own "artsy" skirts. I have several - perhaps stupid - ideas for skirts that I'd like to make, and wear. One is in-progress and I will finish it one day, hopefully in the next month or so. The others I've collected materials for and have the general designs laid out in my head. Another is a series of skirts that follow a certain, erm, pattern. Nothing I'm thinking of would be embarrassing to wear - though it might be pushing it for work appropriate apparel (ie, people might think I'm being too silly).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:53 am Nothing I'm thinking of would be embarrassing to wear - though it might be pushing it for work appropriate apparel (ie, people might think I'm being too silly).
On the other hand they may actually think you are a true innovator.
You know your co-workers best but if you don't at least talk about it you may never know.
Who knows, you may have "The Design" that we are waiting for in your head right now.
Steve.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:43 pm
Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:53 am Nothing I'm thinking of would be embarrassing to wear - though it might be pushing it for work appropriate apparel (ie, people might think I'm being too silly).
On the other hand they may actually think you are a true innovator.
You know your co-workers best but if you don't at least talk about it you may never know.
Who knows, you may have "The Design" that we are waiting for in your head right now.
Steve.
I'm skeptical that any of my ideas are that good. Different? For sure.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:44 pm I'm skeptical that any of my ideas are that good. Different? For sure.
Strikes me that you may be too hard on yourself.
Different, is a better starting point than same old anyway.
Give it a chance and you may be surprised. If it fails, you will at least have the satisfaction of having tried.
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:26 am
Ralph wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:26 pm I don't mean for a moment to suggest that transgender isn't real, only that it shouldn't be the first thing parents and psychologists jump to when their 3-year-old boy wants to wear a princess dress or their little girl wants to play football.
Here is a potted version of my experience.
At age eight I KNEW that I wished to wear skirts, no doubts.
I also KNEW that I could not tell, skirts were for GIRLS and DEFINITELY not BOYS.
By fifteen, I had decided that skirts were still my preference but definitely not to become a GIRL.
As a BOY, I decided that, to wear a skirt, I had to PRETEND to be a GIRL.
In the absence of information to the contrary, that misconception blighted my life for thirty years.
My point is that I concluded that I was NOT transgendered all by MYSELF as a CHILD without reference to little more than snippets here and titbits there.
It was bloody hard and had I actually been able to tell, discuss and even more unlikely been LISTENED to, who knows how much different my life could have been.
I was asked a question, last week, "Do you like yourself better now that you can dress as you wish"?
Simple reply, "HELL YES"!
The saddest fact is that the scared to tell kid is still out there, they are not all as fortunate as Barleymower's boy.
Steve.
I wish I had some clarity to offer. I was, am and will be a mess. I don't even know if I'm doing the right thing with my youngest and the dress. It's great that he is free to express himself and he faced them all down. I'm really not certain though what his motivation was though. I not sure he's into it. Time will tell.

I've also been a big baby about own skirt wearing, I know because my daughter tells me. Mostly it's a get back because she can be selfish and I've told her.

My own back story is very similar to Steve's but also different. I was desperate to be a girl a boy, that's why I wanted to wear skirts. I really wanted to wear a skirt to school. Instead I wore trousers, kept my mouth shut and got called gay boy for 3 years.

Then I started dating girls because I like girls not boys (what the heck?). That's pretty much it. 50 years later I express my feminine side in my skirts while being a family man. My wife bless her has not divorced me for it. Plenty would.

Along with Steve, Do I like myself better now that I can dress as I wish"? Also "HELL YES"! And the saddest fact is that the scared to tell kid is still in there. He's brave enough now to face up to it.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Not sure if it would be the ideal outfit for me, but when I was in the phase of questioning "what if I was a women?" I was seriously wondering if I could look good in this:
[url=https://www.honneloeloe.nl/product/1222/5223/R1611]Pine-green cocktail dress][/url]
I was looking into doing a makeover with that express goal, though it didn't happen (Covid). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look good in this as is as I don't have the figure for it, but I think one adjusted for the masculine body shape (basically, lower waist, not so tailored) could look stunning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:53 am I've been mulling the "ideal outfit" over in my head for a few weeks now. At times I think I want to wear something in the dark academia style, but I'm pretty close to it already, I just need to work on different shirts (and maybe shoes too).

But really what I really want is to design and wear my own "artsy" skirts. I have several - perhaps stupid - ideas for skirts that I'd like to make, and wear. One is in-progress and I will finish it one day, hopefully in the next month or so. The others I've collected materials for and have the general designs laid out in my head. Another is a series of skirts that follow a certain, erm, pattern. Nothing I'm thinking of would be embarrassing to wear - though it might be pushing it for work appropriate apparel (ie, people might think I'm being too silly).
Coder one of the advantages of wearing a skirt as a man is that there are not any really embarrassing skirts. The fact we are wearing a skirt at all is enough of s shock. You can go full Billy Porter if you want to. I say let your imagination run wild and see what rolls off the sewing machine bed.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 pm Not sure if it would be the ideal outfit for me, but when I was in the phase of questioning "what if I was a women?" I was seriously wondering if I could look good in this:
Pine-green cocktail dress]

I was looking into doing a makeover with that express goal, though it didn't happen (Covid). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't look good in this as is as I don't have the figure for it, but I think one adjusted for the masculine body shape (basically, lower waist, not so tailored) could look stunning.
It's a beautiful dress. Reminds me of the lovely Katerine Parkinson.
Screenshot_20221219_225838_DuckDuckGo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:54 pm Coder one of the advantages of wearing a skirt as a man is that there are not any really embarrassing skirts. The fact we are wearing a skirt at all is enough of s shock. You can go full Billy Porter if you want to. I say let your imagination run wild and see what rolls off the sewing machine bed.
LOL - yeah and my description is sufficiently vague enough not to convey my ideas. I have next week off, and should really focus on finishing one single idea. Most of them are pedestrian, nothing fashionable or shocking, just silly. I'll see what I can get done next week.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:04 pm
Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:54 pm Coder one of the advantages of wearing a skirt as a man is that there are not any really embarrassing skirts. The fact we are wearing a skirt at all is enough of s shock. You can go full Billy Porter if you want to. I say let your imagination run wild and see what rolls off the sewing machine bed.
LOL - yeah and my description is sufficiently vague enough not to convey my ideas. I have next week off, and should really focus on finishing one single idea. Most of them are pedestrian, nothing fashionable or shocking, just silly. I'll see what I can get done next week.
Photos please.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:32 pm Photos please.
If the day comes and I finish one, yes I will certainly do so.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:44 pm And the saddest fact is that the scared to tell kid is still in there.
****, I still have Sara and Stephen resident in my brain. With hindsight, Steve/Stevie would not exist without them.
Thanks KIDS!
Coder wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:37 pm If the day comes and I finish one, yes I will certainly do so.
Make it an aim, not a resolution for 2023 Coder.

Steve.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Barleymower wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:02 pm It's a beautiful dress. Reminds me of the lovely Katerine Parkinson.
Ah, the IT Crowd. That was a classic series and she played it very well.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

rode_kater wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:52 pm Not sure if it would be the ideal outfit for me, but when I was in the phase of questioning "what if I was a women?" I was seriously wondering if I could look good in this:
Pine-green cocktail dress]

I’d wear that dress in a New York minute. The heels too. My only complaint is the high waist which would be problematical for me since I’m six foot two, otherwise, it looks gorgeous.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

https://fhwt.app.link/tQoUXISGWvb

This is a dress I bought recently. I have tried it on but not yet worn it. It calls for a special occasion.