Ideal outfit

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Ideal outfit

Post by Freedomforall »

If you could wear anything without fear, what would it be? Is there a dress or skirt that your mind entertains?

I will go first. I would love to go on a Caribbean vacation and take nothing but dresses and a few skirts. There isn't a particular dress in mind.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Ideal outfit

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:55 pmIf you could wear anything without fear, what would it be? Is there a dress or skirt that your mind entertains?
I am enthralled with the styles from both the mid-Victorian and Edwardian periods and would wear those anywhere. I'm not terribly keen on the late-Victorian fascination with the extreme bustle, but many of the other styles work very well indeed, and some of the colours from the period are absolutely exquisite.

Hard pressed on a fantasy of where to wear such a rig, I'd have to resort to time-travel (which, as we all know is impossible) and state I'd be on a steamship travelling the North Atlantic in mid-winter. It'd be a challenge to both body and soul.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

My favourites are soft midi skirts with a woollen jumper and boots in the winter. Sandals and tees in the summer.
Heaven
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I would love to go on a Caribbean vacation and wear nothing--well maybe sometimes dresses and a few skirts.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Jim wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:44 amI would love to go on a Caribbean vacation and wear nothing-
No matter what you may think Jim, you'll still be wearing Something ;)
It's called a big smile :D

(I experienced that in Jamaica :D )
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
steamman

Post by steamman »

A short dress worn with high heeled thigh high boots. I intend to do this for real in 2023 once I find the right boots.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Didn't even have to pause to think about that.

A bit of background: I loved the retro-pioneer/victorian styles of the 70's but I had not yet come to terms with my desire to wear dresses instead of trousers and I was uncomfortable buying "girl" things in stores where you talk to clerks face-to-face. So I let the whole Laura Ashley, Gunne Sax et al era pass me by.

By the time I was comfortable in my own skin and ready to buy those styles I liked so much, they were no longer made new - and I was seven stone heavier, never again to fit into those dresses.

Only recently did I discover Lindy Bop, who not only makes dresses in the retro style I like so much but even in my size. I could wear this forever but it tends to get rather stinky after a few months. (only joking! Maybe...)
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

My "Dream" outfit is not limited by fear but by cold hard cash.
I would have several created if the budget allowed.
Two in particular. One, a dress based around a medieval male tunic and the other on this illustration.
The inspiration is the Terry Pratchett novel "Monstrous Regiment".
The idea of turning a macho male military uniform into some form of hybrid for men in skirts appeals to the rebel in my soul.
Steve.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skirtedbrit
Distinguished Member

Post by skirtedbrit »

Already done this a few years ago for my 70th birthday. went to a dressmaker and she made me a lovely green dress and I had "GROWING OLD DISGRACEFULLY" on the front and "NOW SHUT UP AND GET THE DRINKS IN" on the back. After a really good meal the women staff were really keen to chat me up, I wish I had known that in my teens!!!
Have also travelled to Scandinavia several times in skirts/dresses with no problems.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, my ideal outfit is unattainable, but I can't blame this one on money or society... it's all on me (for now, and probably forever as I do love food).

I'd love to be able to wear something like this (below)
ballgown.jpg
But alas... the circumference of my body simply will not allow it.

However, I do have some of the elements to pull of a somewhat "ballgown" appearance. I have a few longer flowy skirts that do drape nicely over my large hoop petti, as well as a small assortment of very decorative tops to pair with the bottom.

If I lived nearer to a bigger metropolitan area with more appropriate places to wear such an outfit, I might consider giving it more mileage. Unfortunately Tri-Cities Tennessee isn't exactly conductive to such attire, even amongst cis-gender women I might add. There are a small assortment of clubs that allow for such elegant formal wear, however these type of places have strict gender specific dress codes. In short, I have the wrong plumbing.

So I would have to contend with Shoney's or a Waffle House, however I would be substantially overdressed, and likely harassed on account of my being of the male sex in a populace very hostile towards femininity amongst males. Such as it is for those in my income bracket and sex... in the south, save for Atlanta... perhaps. :blue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:31 pmSuch as it is for those in my income bracket and sex... in the south, save for Atlanta... perhaps. :blue:
I suspect you'd be OK in almost any large metropolitan area. When I visited Savannah, GA late last year I only got one sour look, and that was from a guy who clearly had one corker of a hangover and likely more problems than that. Other than that, my interaction with the locals was delightful. Savannah has the benefit of hosting a rather prestigious art and design college, so that heavily influences the flavour of the place.

I've heard some ratty reports about Jacksonville, FL but haven't been there except for passing through on a train.

I hope to go back to Savannah sometime perhaps in early spring or late winter, but getting a solid week -- never mind two -- seems out of the question.
brennk

Post by brennk »

I love wearing skirts and shorts with tights/nylons and ballet flats, and have done so in public in the past on occasion. I wish I could wear more often though.
20220818_185055.jpg
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

Given the choice, I would go for a dress, fitted to the torso and very full below the waist. The designer Edward Crutchley has produced one or two, including one which was shown at the V&A exhibition on masculinities, and I rather fancy the kind of thing that Billy Porter has sported in public.
Though the dress that grabbed my attention and started me trawling the internet was a long dark green dress in "medieval" style, designed as "renaissance festival" costume, I think. I was just annoyed that it was such a beautiful garment, and that I would not be allowed to wear it.

crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dang, MB, I'd wear that to a formal event any time! Magnificent!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:35 am Dang, MB, I'd wear that to a formal event any time! Magnificent!

That is the perfect fabric for my doublet/tunic ensemble!
Now I just have to find a stunning rich benefactrix, with an eye for style and an interest in grizzled old dudes.
No challenge there then, probably see at least three on way to office this morning.
One meets all kind of interesting folks on the bus you know.
Steve.