Congratulations, USA…

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Congratulations, USA…

Post by Ray »

…on getting to the last 16 of the football World Cup.

Not something that Scotland has ever managed to achieve!

Well done. Onwards and upwards.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Congratulations, USA…

Post by STEVIE »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:18 pm Not something that Scotland has ever managed to achieve!
Oh dear, I forecast storms in the Cappuccinos and South Latte seas.
There will also be severe disruption among the Teacups.
Steve.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Interesting group (B) for me. English born with an affinity for all of the Home Nations but also a permanent resident of the US for several years. Please don’t ask me to take the Norman Tebbitt test :-)

Looking forward to the matches for the last 16 and hoping that skill, determination and hard work wins the day, regardless of which country / team takes the top prize.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Strange observation - - -
Soccer the ball is started with a hand toss into play - thence is controlled by foot or head movement only to score a goal - no hands !
American Football the ball is started on the ground (hike) and then the ball and player can't touch the ground ending play (down)
Ball must break the plane (goal line) to score - or be kicked between the goal posts -
For the most part except for the kick off or extra point - it is all hands getting the ball past the goal line to score -

So why is it called FOOTBALL ?
Soccer is aptly named Football - it is all foot action

Oh and American football can't be won with a single score of 1
But soccer Congratulations Team USA you won with a score of 1 to zero zilch zap nullo big egg oval !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

STEVIE wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:36 am
Ray wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:18 pm Not something that Scotland has ever managed to achieve!
Oh dear, I forecast storms in the Cappuccinos and South Latte seas.
There will also be severe disruption among the Teacups.
Steve.
I’m Scottish. My comment is more self-deprecation than Anglo-Saxon smugness ;-)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

What is this World Cup thing for anyway, tiddlywinks?
Steve.
I am that rather odd Scotsman in more than one way, I hate football. I had me a pro. as a teacher.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Soccer is big bucks, worldwide but doesn't reach me at all. Good old USA for getting in aong the knock-out nations, but I shall not be watching any of it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Frankly I can't stand either of them. As far as I am concerned most all sports are as boring as a chess match and I don't play that either.
And I am unanimous in that!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:49 pm Frankly I can't stand either of them. As far as I am concerned most all sports are as boring as a chess match and I don't play that either.
Looking over a good chess game is much more interesting than team sports to me.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Football ( soccer ) is started by a pass forward from the centre spot ( with all other players outside of the centre circle ) and not tossed into play. The coin toss before the start determines which half of the pitch a team starts in and who kicks off the first half.

There are certainly some surprises for the last 16. The USA team has shown great improvements with each World Cup and I never assumed that they would be easy to beat and so it has proved. They may not win it this time but maybe their time will be in the net Cup or two. The Netherlands next.

i have no idea why American Football is called as it is since there is no concept of using the feet to move the ball. Perhaps it should more appropriately be called American Throwball.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Ray wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:18 pm …on getting to the last 16 of the football World Cup.

Not something that Scotland has ever managed to achieve!

Not true. West Germany, 1974. Only 16 teams there, and Scotland was one of them. Nearly made it to the last 8, but knocked out by Brazil and Yugoslavia (after drawing with both of them, and them drawing with each other) because they put more goals past Zaire than we did. (Brazil 8-0; Yugoslavia 3-0; Scotland 2-0. Maybe? I haven't checked.)

Such recall of tiny details from 48 years ago! Couldn't give a **** about it now, other than to idly wonder if England have been knocked out yet.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, 2-1 to France.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Makes a change from Germany beating them on penalties!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair