I got artificial intelligence to write an article about men in skirts

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

I got artificial intelligence to write an article about men in skirts

Post by renesm1 »

Long story short, I might be out of a job.

Check it out https://absolutegadget.com/2022/12/06/d ... here/31692
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: I got artificial intelligence to write an article about men in skirts

Post by crfriend »

renesm1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:32 pmLong story short, I might be out of a job.

There are a few posters here that I suspect are "AI", one of which bears a very strange semblance to ELIZA from the 1960s and which I haven't tangled with since the 1970s.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

If you can tell us what technology you used, I'd be very interested (not about to google it, too busy, plus I'd probably end up reading an AI-generated article on how to generate articles using AI :D).

I keep running into what I suspect are "AI" generated articles - the last two I read had major contradictions. One was about gluten sensitivity, and said that "00 pizza flour is safe to eat for those who cannot tolerate gluten". And in the same paragraph said "00 pizza flour contains gluten and could not be eaten by someone with gluten sensitivity" (erm, there are some nuances here, which I'm not going to get into).

As for the article, it is a "men's guide" but it says:
If you’re really feeling daring, you could even try pairing your skirt with a bikini top!
Hrmmm.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Coder wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:02 pm If you can tell us what technology you used, I'd be very interested (not about to google it, too busy, plus I'd probably end up reading an AI-generated article on how to generate articles using AI :D).

I keep running into what I suspect are "AI" generated articles - the last two I read had major contradictions. One was about gluten sensitivity, and said that "00 pizza flour is safe to eat for those who cannot tolerate gluten". And in the same paragraph said "00 pizza flour contains gluten and could not be eaten by someone with gluten sensitivity" (erm, there are some nuances here, which I'm not going to get into).

As for the article, it is a "men's guide" but it says:
If you’re really feeling daring, you could even try pairing your skirt with a bikini top!
Hrmmm.
Yes. AI is not 100% there yet. However, paired with someone with years of experience in writing (erm, me!) this could make article creation much faster. It'll do about 70% of the hard work. The other 30% from humans is still needed at this present time.

That said, I was very impressed how well it did anyway. The time it took to write the article was very short (about two minutes!) I know how long something that length takes to write by hand (about half a day with the wind in the right direction!) so I don't think it's some kind of mechanical turk in the background!

And to finally answer your question, the AI website in question is maker.ai. I have been using it as a springboard for my own creative attempts at writing a novel. So far, very impressed. Just thinking what this will be like in two years' time! Frightening!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

crfriend wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:45 pm There are a few posters here that I suspect are "AI", one of which bears a very strange semblance to ELIZA from the 1960s and which I haven't tangled with since the 1970s.
> How does being tangled make you feel?

:lol:

I've done some work with the modern equivalent in the past few years, writing an NLG (natural language generation) system for turning sports data into articles. The naturalness of the writing has improved greatly, but there's not a lot of fact checking. It's just as likely to tell you to drink bleach with a straight face as give you proper advice.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

renesm1 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:38 am And to finally answer your question, the AI website in question is maker.ai. I have been using it as a springboard for my own creative attempts at writing a novel. So far, very impressed. Just thinking what this will be like in two years' time! Frightening!
I've been playing with https://chat.openai.com - bit creepy. I should play with maker.ai a bit.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:58 pm> How does being tangled make you feel?

:lol:
It usually leaves my guts in a knot.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

That's actually surprisingly good. I'm impressed. There are some things in there no human would write, but it's a good effort.
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:58 pm It's just as likely to tell you to drink bleach with a straight face as give you proper advice.
Hm, I think some humans would do that too.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

renesm1 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:32 pm Long story short, I might be out of a job.

I think you’re gonna keep your day job. Haha. The writing on this article is stilted, abrupt and seems very regimented. And it includes sentences like this on a men’s guide to wearing a skirt.

“Wearing a skirt can help you feel more feminine and confident.”

Not to mention you can feel how the language for accessorizing the skirt comes straight from women’s blogs. These accessories are very much feminine and I would’ve expected them to mention more male stuff.

But AI has been rumored to take over all of our jobs and I just don’t see it. The typewriter put the old press that Gutenberg used out but we still have people creating documents for mass distribution. AI is amazing and will make it easier for us to do our jobs.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:38 pmBut AI has been rumored to take over all of our jobs and I just don’t see it. The typewriter put the old press that Gutenberg used out but we still have people creating documents for mass distribution. AI is amazing and will make it easier for us to do our jobs.
I agree that it will make out lives easier. While not AI, Photoshop has amazing content-aware tools, and they make expanding backgrounds, removing them, selecting people, etc... quick and efficient. A few years ago what would take a skilled designer an hour takes mere seconds - giving them time to focus on other aspects of the design.

For code, I could see it eliminating the need to search through MDN, or your programming language of choice code reference. Let's say you don't know the built in function that returns the max value of a number. You ask:
In JavaScript, php how do I get the max value of a number?
The AI returns the function names as well as some helpful examples on how to use them. That's a super simple example, but perhaps you are debugging a regex that doesn't work for some reason - you ask:
What would be a good regex to select the strings "123-32-Awed" "124-56-dFrs"?
It actually returns an answer, and while not perfect, one could use that as a starting point when just leaning regular expressions.

I think we get into danger when we decide to solely rely on AI for answers, without analyzing the output.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Hey Coder,

Most of what you wrote is Greek to me but I’m sure it’s brilliant.

The last line is the reason AI will never take our jobs. We cannot solely rely on it. We all need to be lifelong learners so it stands to reason that AI, a system that lives and dies on being taught what to do, will also need to be a lifelong learner.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:59 pm Most of what you wrote is Greek to me but I’m sure it’s brilliant.
Nah - these are just fundamental concepts in programming. I'm not sure what it would do if I asked it to handle what I'm currently working on, which is fraught with edge cases, modification of existing code (thank gosh I wrote it) and has context contained in flow charts that I have to refer to periodically.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:20 pm That's a super simple example, but perhaps you are debugging a regex that doesn't work for some reason
"Any sufficiently advanced regex is indistinguishable from magic." :lol: (if Arthur C Clarke was a computer scientist...)

Calling these tools "AI" kind of makes me cringe a little, at best they're a cute way of querying a deep storage mechanism that was trained on a lot of things that other humans wrote. Maybe that's all we humans are anyway. :lol:
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:38 pmI think you’re gonna keep your day job. Haha. The writing on this article is stilted, abrupt and seems very regimented. And it includes sentences like this on a men’s guide to wearing a skirt.

“Wearing a skirt can help you feel more feminine and confident.”
AI is not the panacea that it's made out to be, and I'm not convinced that pursuing AS [0] might not be better as a research experiment, At the moment, AI is incapable of making the leaps of imagination that mimic what gifted humans (and that's a subset of the species) are capable of. The information and concepts just aren't there, and there's no clear way to algorithmically translate concepts into what a computer can interpret. Creativity still remains a human endeavour.

On the topic of referencing things when programming, a lot of that depends on how many programming languages one uses on a regular basis -- and in this I am a big proponent of Albert Einstein's dictum of, "Never commit to memory what can be trivially looked up." Thus my personal philosophy of finding the "why" of things working; once you understand why, how they work is a trivial matter of reverse-engineering. So, it's entirely common for me to have the references immediately at hand for whatever thing I'm working on. It bothers the youngsters to no end, and puts "old guys" at a very distinct disadvantage, but it's the "old guys" who grok the "why" not the "how" of a given machine's operation. Heck, I've forgotten more programming languages than most folks know exist; thus I look for commonality and follow "family lines" because I most likely know a "progenitor language". Thus my crack when I was being breathlessly introduced to "Go", I took in about five minutes and remarked, "YAAD." (For "Yet Another ALGOL Derivative") More knobs to be sure, but the basic structure hasn't changed since 1960.

[0] Artificial Stupidity. Sometimes looking at things from an opposing angle can be most instructive.