The Sunday Times: David Hockney shows men the art of snappy dressing

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: The Sunday Times: David Hockney shows men the art of snappy dressing

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:23 pmSome Japanese traditional menswear is frankly stunning in terms of design and colour.
Pity that the influence could not be reversed.
Hell, yeah!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I think the early influence of anything computer-wise in English helped.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:21 pm I think the early influence of anything computer-wise in English helped.
Probably Dennis, but it started much further back, this is dated to 1925, computer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not forgetting the monocle or pince nez or perhaps the cravat instead of the tie or the spatz. None of which would be worn now although I do have a sneaky liking for the cravat.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Sinned wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm Not forgetting the monocle or pince nez or perhaps the cravat instead of the tie or the spatz. None of which would be worn now although I do have a sneaky liking for the cravat.
It’s irony that the statement “none of which can be worn now” is on a skirt for men website
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

ScotL wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:29 pm
Sinned wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pmNot forgetting the monocle or pince nez or perhaps the cravat instead of the tie or the spatz. None of which would be worn now although I do have a sneaky liking for the cravat.
It’s irony that the statement “none of which can be worn now” is on a skirt for men website
It is rather ironic, isn't it. It's not that the look couldn't be worn today, but simply wouldn't. It also illustrates in spades just precisely how dire things have gotten for men. That's actually quite the dapper look, and it gets better as you begin to study the detail. Contrast to Dockers and a polo shirt which are considered somewhat "dressy" in the modern realm.

The cut of the jacket, the striped trousers, the spats, and the top hat make a powerful statement -- it's just a statement from a long-dead past. It's also a dynamic image with the guy in purposeful motion -- something that isn't really seen today because today we either tend to shuffle or -- worse -- do the flip-flop waddle.

On ascots. I am a big fan of those and have several. Some I've purchased over the years, but I have a few much older pieces that were my grandfather's which I'll wear once in a while. Mine are all synthetics; his are of silk -- and there's a world of difference!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:47 pm It is rather ironic, isn't it. It's not that the look couldn't be worn today, but simply wouldn't.
Does that not beg the question, why the hell not?
So modern convention and fashion say no, so what of that.
If the cap fits wear it! It is up to you to create your own conventions.
The "cap" in question could be a skirt, cravat, a bacon dress or anything else.
White tie, top hat, tails and a skirt. I would try it, no problem.
Steve.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:11 pm
crfriend wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:47 pmIt is rather ironic, isn't it. It's not that the look couldn't be worn today, but simply wouldn't.
Does that not beg the question, why the hell not?
Why the Hell not? I'd posit that our culture has been dumbed down to the point where the notion is impossible to contemplate for the vast majority of the herd that's locked into denim and t-shirts. It's a tragic state of affairs to the mind of this writer.
So modern convention and fashion say no, so what of that.
If the cap fits wear it! It is up to you to create your own conventions.
The "cap" in question could be a skirt, cravat, a bacon dress or anything else.
White tie, top hat, tails and a skirt. I would try it, no problem.
Indeed, I'd vary it out using much the same rig save for a black/grey/white pinstripe long skirt to better set off the swallow-tail coat.

I don't think I'd use a top hat, though. I already have enough problems with "intersecting with structure" because of my height.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There are online lists of different types of mens neck wear. More than you might expect, because some went out of fashion long ago.

I can imagine someone adopting one of those old fashioned designs if they have style in mind.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Grok wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:08 pm I can imagine someone adopting one of those old fashioned designs if they have style in mind.
Occasionally you see a story of how a guy or couple decide to dress in "period" clothes from one era or another. I struggle to see what makes "the olden days, when men/women had real style" special, besides the novelty. Don't get me wrong - I find the outfits visually inspiring, but for day to day wear or even as "my style" I don't see how it is any different than the current set of standards. What I mean by this:

Back in the 00's / 20's / 30's - did they look back on earlier periods, and lament "well, 100 years ago, they really had style"? In their time, suit+tie+hat+spat = male drab, there was just more ornamentation.

Materials-wise, things were real and better - I'll take a wool/cotton over a synthetic blend (though will reap the benefits of a synthetic for outerwear). Items were made to last, or so we believe. Things were less mass-produced than nowadays. Pants weren't sold ripped...

And on that point is where, I think, our fashion culture has gone drastically wrong. Ignoring "fast fashion", to me I dislike pre-ripped clothes because the style is a hedonistic expression of wealth/status. In a society of scarcity - which parts of society are - the furthest thing from people's minds should be to intentionally damage clothing. It's not the equivalent of food waste, but shortens the lifespan of clothes and if people really believed in climate change, carbon sequestration, damaging/reducing the usable lifespan of a garment is totally unproductive to those aims.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

An excellent example of how fantasy does not meet up to reality. I love love LOVE women's styles of bygone eras, mostly the 1920's and earlier. Those great billowy gowns of the Victorians, the long calico dresses of the pioneers, even going back into the 18th century. The idea of being swaddled in that much soft fabric, the whole of it swirling around me with every moment, has fascinated me at least since 1950.

And yet... I know it was entirely more work than I would care to do even once, much less every day. I recently watched a period actor demonstrate the whole sunup-to-sundown dressing routine for a typical Victorian woman. Layer upon layer upon layer that had to be tied and laced and buckled all around her, and even the gorgeous outer dress that I admire so much was a skirt and jacket added separately and then once again tied and laced and buckled to give the appearance of being one piece. If it's one thing I can throw on with no more than a zipper up the back or even just a stretchy neck I can squeeze through without a zipper, I'll wear it. But to spend an hour just getting all the layers put together? And then she went through it five times in a single day, changing for each occasion depending on formality, utility, and social stature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXa6zzh2dhs

So yeah... I long for the "good old days" of fashion, but I'm totally unwilling to put in the work. I do try to wear a nice hat (homburg or Irish cap) whenever I go out, though. I miss widespread use of hats on men.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A young lady comes into my store on occasion attired in 1950's dress along with the petticoats and lovely she looks. I have spoken to her and it is her preferred look as often as she can manage. She even adds the hair band which looks rather quaint. In a sense my look harks back to the sixties with the bright colours, mini skirts and iconic fashions. I grew up in that era.