yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Post by STEVIE »

Midas wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:01 pm It’s a good starting point, but only that. The true joy of skirt wearing is the choice of styles, fabrics and colours.
As I said, entry level.
Every journey has to begin somewhere, this is as good first a step as any.
OK so no waistcoat/vest so how about a sweater vest or tank top as we called them in the 70s.
No need to copy anything, as you say skirts offer so many permutations so just have fun creating your own look.
Enjoy.
Steve
ScotL
Chatbot

Re: yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Post by ScotL »

Coder wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm
ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:34 pm To me it sounds like Mr Porter is pouting cause he didn’t get the front cover. Though there’s clearly bias against homosexuals, I figure putting Mr Porter on Vogue wouldn’t be as shocking as putting Mr Styles on Vogue since Mr Porter had already been doing the dress thing. But I could be wrong about which one did it first or at all before that vogue cover. I’m just not into celebrity BS.

But the other thought of why one over the other is why not? Perhaps it’s the work of Styles’ publicist who worked harder than Porter’s. We don’t honestly think these big stars are negotiating their own gigs?
Brad Pitt did it first - no wait David Bowie did it first... I mean - it gets a bit tiring - who cares who came first?

I would go with the assumption that Harry Styles' publicist worked hard to get him on the cover. Also, if we want to get down to it - Porter is less known than Styles. I had to look up his filmography as I was unsure. That isn't to say he isn't talented, but my guess is magazines like Vogue take into account a stars rising influence, and being a teen idol (I'mg guessing here), Harry Styles is a bigger name to put on their cover. I really don't think homophobia or other biases played into it - other than pandering to the masses.
Dull and boring to think Styles’ publicist just worked it better than Porter’s. So much more exciting to be due to some prejudice regardless of whether it’s true or not.

Either way, no one does really care who wore the skirt first since guys have been wearing skirts forever.

But I was shocked but then not shocked when I heard movie stars call the paparazzi (or their agents do) before they go out so they’re in the news. Cause in the news means in the movie.

So probably Styles got the cover shot sue to his publicist and Porter got publicity for whining about it. They both win and we’re all better for it cause two otherwise “normal” guys forced the world think about a guy wearing a dress as “normal.”
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:34 pm Though there’s clearly bias against homosexuals...
In Hollywood?!? Don't make me laugh. Homosexuals are massively overrepresented in the entertainment industry.

I have a co-worker who's son was trying to get into the arts professionally, but felt ostracized because he is straight. He moved into a slightly less gay part of that world, and last I heard was doing okay, but still...
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

Topic not really for this cafe but are you suggesting being gay has been a benefit for actors? I don’t want to devolve this thread into this because it’s not what this forum is about but I will leave you a little food for thought by asking a rhetorical question. Have gay actors been hiding their orientation until safe to come out of the closet or were the straight actors pretending to be gay until safe to come out of the closet?
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I think gay actors were pretending to be straight publicly, but were very open about it inside the industry.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Dust wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:08 pm I think gay actors were pretending to be straight publicly, but were very open about it inside the industry.
In addition, Dust, the business control over publicity was so much tighter historically.
Various propaganda machines had power over the media which would be almost unimaginable today.
In days gone by to simply read or hear a piece of information was enough to accept it as fact.
Lies and propaganda still exist but more subtly.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

I wonder if Taika's skirt is not dissimilar to what men wear back in Fiji, Tonga, or one of those Pacific islands in which it's perfectly normal as a sulu / lavalava? Looks great, and interesting seeing womens reaction to his outfit in the comments :wink:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...