On family and spouses "negative" reactions, emotion

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: On family and spouses "negative" reactions, emotion

Post by STEVIE »

Ozdelights wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:27 am And that is probably why many (not all) men who take up skirts are older and not necessarily looking for a partner.
Correct!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:24 pm
Ozdelights wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:27 amAnd that is probably why many (not all) men who take up skirts are older and not necessarily looking for a partner.
Correct!
Well, that hasn't stopped me from giving romance a chance! (I just wish she was a bit closer than a thousand miles away!)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Actually Carl, nor me, but my situation is just a tad more complicated and not geographical either.
crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:04 pm I just wish she was a bit closer than a thousand miles away!
I really do wish you well for the future!
Steve.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

Ozdelights wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:27 am
STEVIE wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:58 am
The problem lies in the fact that heterosexual females do not generally see a skirted hetero male as a good potential partner.
And that is probably why many (not all) men who take up skirts are older and not necessarily looking for a partner.
Steve I have a slightly different perspective. There is truth in what has been said so far.
My wife, a feminist and mother to two vulnerable boys met with her long standing more feminist friend who has a TERF sister. She came back to me and recounted that her friend found it cool that I wear skirts but also recounted that the friend asked: "don't you think that he is taking our skirts?". F replied have you seen the state of mens clothes? Bland! Of course men want more. I asked about the TERF sister. "What does she think?" She would be def against it. "Why?" I said "I don't know she said.
We also had another discussion. "Feminists have won, they have everything they wanted". Not everything was the reply "but yes the pendulum has swung the other way. Boys and now failing where girls are suceeding".
So why don't women see a man in a skirt as a partner? They dont have too! At least they don't think they do. They can be choosy, thats what they are told. However, Facts are facts, unless they 'settle' they will end up on the shelf just like they always did. The trouble is there are so few men in skirts that they can safely be disregarded. Too much risk. There are so few skirted men that either as a woman they are looking at a very confident man or they a looking at a trans woman or gay or whatever. With the propaganda out there there is the perfect man around the corner. So like you say skirted men men tend to be older, already had their families.
I loved skirts even as a young guy but I wasn't going to wear one. It was hard enough to get a girl it would have been hopeless in a skirt. I did tell one girlfriend, spilt the whole beans. It didn't end well. Another story.
Where do I, we go from here? I have to say its really tough. And I have it easy! Wife OK, kids OK, my dad OK, no church. I still find it tough out in the streets, it's tense. Their are NO other men in skirts out there. I hardly ever see any. Probably because of the men, the women, the feminists, the terfs and the ignorant bigots who say WTF?
I often hear on this channel that kilts are fine, true they are. Even pleated tarten skirts. The average joe doesnt know the difference. I also like "womens" skirts. There's hardly any difference, they are all skirts. There's a gulf in acceptance.
That's probably enough of my rambling.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:36 pmActually Carl, nor me, but my situation is just a tad more complicated and not geographical either.
Indeed, your's is one heck of a lot more complex than mine, and I wish you the very best with it. Perhaps, with time, she'll come 'round on the matter. Here's to hope!
Many, many thanks for that! Somehow I suspect I'll need it.
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:36 pm Actually Carl, nor me, but my situation is just a tad more complicated and not geographical either.
crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:04 pm I just wish she was a bit closer than a thousand miles away!
Steve.
And that's why we are here to listen and support one another. I wish you both the best future!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Barleymower wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:37 pm My wife, a feminist and mother to two vulnerable boys met with her long standing more feminist friend who has a TERF sister. She came back to me and recounted that her friend found it cool that I wear skirts but also recounted that the friend asked: "don't you think that he is taking our skirts?". F replied have you seen the state of mens clothes? Bland! Of course men want more. I asked about the TERF sister. "What does she think?" She would be def against it. "Why?" I said "I don't know she said.
Something I didn't mention (at least don't think I did) was this very point - "we" are taking "their" skirts. I often wonder if there's a bit of grade school mentality "nah nah nah, not gonna share".

As for the TERF - hrmmm. I would be *very* interested in her opinion. From what I've read online about/from TERFs, they seem to be fine with a guy wearing a skirt as a guy - but the minute that guy thinks the clothes make the woman, then all hell breaks loose. I'm trying not to use TERF as a pejorative here - there are complex emotions behind these issues.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

For one of the old men in the crowd, WTF is a TERF?
Ozdelights
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ozdelights »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:45 am For one of the old men in the crowd, WTF is a TERF?
I had to look it up also, trans-exclusionary radical feminist
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ozdelights wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:49 amI had to look it up also, trans-exclusionary radical feminist
Why do I want to crib a famous Gene Wilder ad-lib from Blazing Saddles in response to that?
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:56 am
Ozdelights wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:49 amI had to look it up also, trans-exclusionary radical feminist
Why do I want to crib a famous Gene Wilder ad-lib from Blazing Saddles in response to that?
Aww...What The Heck Carl, GO FOR IT :D

:hide:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Uncle Al wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 am Aww...What The Heck Carl, GO FOR IT
Yeah Carl, do, I loved that movie, but I haven't revisited it in many years and cannot remember the line.
I also have a bit more to say about "family", but it will sit better elsewhere.
Steve.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

There was a distant time in our relationship that the slightest suggestion of my wearing something 'feminine' would solicit a screaming response from my Wife. How times have changed.

Given my occasional peripheral neuropathy, when my Wife asks how I am, and I respond that my legs are playing up, she will inevitably respond with: 'Then go and put on a Skirt and some Tights'. (I wear Support Tights to alleviate my peripheral neuropathy).

This morning, I was wearing Trousers/Pants when my Wife eventually woke up. On greeting each other, she said: 'Why are you wearing Trousers? Put on a Skirt. You will be more comfortable''.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:19 am
Uncle Al wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:52 am Aww...What The Heck Carl, GO FOR IT
Yeah Carl, do, I loved that movie, but I haven't revisited it in many years and cannot remember the line.
I also have a bit more to say about "family", but it will sit better elsewhere.
"These are simple farmers... The common clay of the Old West... You know... Morons."

The scene had to be cut a second or so after Wilder got hte word "morons" out because Cleavon Little lost it laughing.

Come to think of it, some of the best movie scenes going were ad-libs. For instance in Jaws, in the scene where Brody sees the shark for the first time and backs into the Orca's cabin. The line of, "We're going to need a bigger boat!" does not appear in the script, yet it entered the English lexicon. Even more notable is the soliloquy delivered by Ray Batty in Blade Runner which Rutger Hauer wrote to replace a more ponderous one that appears in the script and which had several of the cast and crew in tears when the shot ended.
Barleymower
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Barleymower »

I feel like my comments are are largely but not complete ignored. Thanks Coder I will reply.
Am I on the wrong board or too far off topic ?