yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Post by Coder »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/not ... 20770.html

Story is from The Independent, I think.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Post by Coder »

Another story, which includes a sidebar:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/11/14/mtv-emas ... -17753439/

Scroll down for:

Famous men who've worn dresses and skirts - and rocked them
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: yahoo! entertainment: ‘This is not a drill’: Fans react to Taika Waititi wearing a skirt at the MTV EMAs

Post by Coder »

Last one:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/styl ... -emas-2022

Wasn't going to post more (all look like copy/paste) but the title got to me: "Taika Waititi upstages Rita Ora in a skirt at the MTV EMAs 2022"
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's quite the sharp-looking rig.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

From the third article:
It’s part of a growing trend of fashion that subverts traditional gender norms, with various male-identifying celebrities opting for skirts this year.

In March, actor Oscar Isaac wore a grey skirt suit by New York-based brand Thom Browne – similar to Taika’s, but midi-length – at the London premiere of the film Moon Knight. Pete Davidson chose Browne, whose tailoring and skirts are a signature, to make his white skirt suit for the 2021 Met Gala.
The second article catalogued the various times celebrities skirted the issue :D Obviously it's being noticed as a trend - but what kind of trend I cannot say. Trying to remain positive, and not go to the negative.
crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:56 pm That's quite the sharp-looking rig.
Agreed - not something I would wear on my own, but if I had to dress formally in it I would not complain (erm, but the shoes, not those shoes).

I wanted to add - he's directed/produced several comedy TV shows/movies that sit at the top of my list. I feel his influence is much broader than some of the other celebs, but I could be wrong. Regardless, hope this wasn't a one-off even though it feels like one.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I wonder what the comment, "Lesbianism leaving my body" means?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Freedomforall wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:17 pm I wonder what the comment, "Lesbianism leaving my body" means?
I took it to mean she was swooning over him, but she was a lesbian, so wouldn’t normally swoon over a man, ergo he/his appearance was making her straight.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

No doubts, good looking guy in a smart skirt outfit. I have worn similar many times, in the office and out and about.
Not claiming that I ever caused anyone to question their "orientation" though.
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:47 pm crfriend wrote: ↑Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:56 am
That's quite the sharp-looking rig
Agreed - not something I would wear on my own, but if I had to dress formally in it I would not complain (erm, but the shoes, not those shoes).
Carl, I would assume you would have similar thoughts?
However, Coder, why wait until you'd have to "dress formally in it"?
Personal opinion, but this is a better entry-level man-in-a-skirt outfit than a kilt.
Less baggage to go with it and loads less expensive too.
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:47 pm Trying to remain positive, and not go to the negative.
Consider how much more positivity, you'd gain by going out loud and proud and looking just as sharp in your own version.
Erm, those shoes, they are totally at your own discretion too.
Steve.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Too me, the shoes look fine but, I'ld wear black socks so
the eye view is not broken.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :santa: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:34 pm Last one:

This has an odd bit at the end.
[Harry Styles] drew criticism from some in the queer community, including actor Billy Porter who expressed frustration to The Sunday Times.

"I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," he said. "I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time.

[...snip...]

"I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars," Porter continued. "All (Styles) has to do is be white and straight."
Is this really a case of privilege? Or is just exactly the same problem we have: worrying so much about what people will think that you chicken out. I can't find any indication that he was prevented from wearing a dress to the Oscars at any point, so I'm guess it was simply a question of getting enough courage to do it (which they apparently did in 2019).

Or maybe Vogue really does feel more comfortable putting a straight white guy in a dress on the cover than a queer person.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 am
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:47 pm Agreed - not something I would wear on my own, but if I had to dress formally in it I would not complain (erm, but the shoes, not those shoes).
However, Coder, why wait until you'd have to "dress formally in it"?
Mostly I'm not a fan of vests or long skirts. However, say for a wedding, if given the choice between a suit and his outfit, I'd go with his.
STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 am
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:47 pm Trying to remain positive, and not go to the negative.
Consider how much more positivity, you'd gain by going out loud and proud and looking just as sharp in your own version.
I think for me, anyways, I'd stick to my usual style - so my "take" on his outfit would be knee to midi length (same pleat style), black boots, and - well I just am not a fan of vests. Not sure what I'd sub there, but at that point it isn't the same outfit.
ScotL
Chatbot

Post by ScotL »

rode_kater wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:00 pm
Coder wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:34 pm Last one:

This has an odd bit at the end.
[Harry Styles] drew criticism from some in the queer community, including actor Billy Porter who expressed frustration to The Sunday Times.

"I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," he said. "I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time.

[...snip...]

"I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars," Porter continued. "All (Styles) has to do is be white and straight."
Is this really a case of privilege? Or is just exactly the same problem we have: worrying so much about what people will think that you chicken out. I can't find any indication that he was prevented from wearing a dress to the Oscars at any point, so I'm guess it was simply a question of getting enough courage to do it (which they apparently did in 2019).

Or maybe Vogue really does feel more comfortable putting a straight white guy in a dress on the cover than a queer person.
To me it sounds like Mr Porter is pouting cause he didn’t get the front cover. Though there’s clearly bias against homosexuals, I figure putting Mr Porter on Vogue wouldn’t be as shocking as putting Mr Styles on Vogue since Mr Porter had already been doing the dress thing. But I could be wrong about which one did it first or at all before that vogue cover. I’m just not into celebrity BS.

But the other thought of why one over the other is why not? Perhaps it’s the work of Styles’ publicist who worked harder than Porter’s. We don’t honestly think these big stars are negotiating their own gigs?
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

ScotL wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:34 pm To me it sounds like Mr Porter is pouting cause he didn’t get the front cover. Though there’s clearly bias against homosexuals, I figure putting Mr Porter on Vogue wouldn’t be as shocking as putting Mr Styles on Vogue since Mr Porter had already been doing the dress thing. But I could be wrong about which one did it first or at all before that vogue cover. I’m just not into celebrity BS.

But the other thought of why one over the other is why not? Perhaps it’s the work of Styles’ publicist who worked harder than Porter’s. We don’t honestly think these big stars are negotiating their own gigs?
Brad Pitt did it first - no wait David Bowie did it first... I mean - it gets a bit tiring - who cares who came first?

I would go with the assumption that Harry Styles' publicist worked hard to get him on the cover. Also, if we want to get down to it - Porter is less known than Styles. I had to look up his filmography as I was unsure. That isn't to say he isn't talented, but my guess is magazines like Vogue take into account a stars rising influence, and being a teen idol (I'mg guessing here), Harry Styles is a bigger name to put on their cover. I really don't think homophobia or other biases played into it - other than pandering to the masses.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 amCarl, I would assume you would have similar thoughts?
I had precisely the same thought -- That's an exemplar of one way to approach the issue! He's got it well-balanced, very nicely coordinated, and a good blend of the traditional and the avant-garde. He's also not relinquishing one iota of his masculinity either. It just works.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

This is an example of how a man can wear a skirt and still be drab and boring. It’s a good starting point, but only that. The true joy of skirt wearing is the choice of styles, fabrics and colours. And that’s before you start on the magical world of dresses.