Another type of skirted clothing

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Another type of skirted clothing

Post by rivegauche »

I do not remember anyone ever discussing sleepwear on this Forum but it must have happened. I find the most comfortable garment of all is a long (ankle length) cotton nightdress. Sleeping with no elastic round my waist or fabric compressing my nether regions is wonderful. I have a woman friend who knows of my clothing preferences and she is unable to understand why anyone would choose a nightdress over pyjamas! For those with partners, this might be a step too far, but I had one partner who preferred me to wear a nightdress as long as it was in a silky fabric - that is what she wore too. The main problem is getting hold of anything long enough. I had three nightdresses from Long Tall Sally but they have fallen apart. David Neiper, a UK company, makes them up to 54" long but they are very expensive. I recently discovered another UK company Cotton Lane that has a standard length of 53" and am about to order from there. For those who are thinking "What about silk?" I own one strappy silk nightdress but have not worn it in years - perhaps it is time to give it another try. Many of the arguments that we use to justify skirts also apply to nightwear except I do not belong to that tribe that wears underwear underneath nightwear. On exceptionally cold nights I wear a sleeveless long silky nightdress under a long-sleeved cotton one. Male nightshirts (and most nightdresses) are way too short for comfort. Brilliant if you live on your own - otherwise some negotiation might be required.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another type of skirted clothing

Post by Jim »

When it's cooler I wear a nylon nightgown as my pajamas. When it's warmer I do without. I don't think I've had regular PJs since high school days.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have not used pyjamas since I was a child. My mother instilled the need of wearing something into my brother and myself with the threat of a house fire senario. I settled on night shirts, which can be oversized singlet tops for summer and short cotton dresses for winter. I related on another thread where I got caught in my night attire by an early morning visitor. It was a black JayJays flared dress. All are long enough to cover the essentials if going about the house at night with others around. I prefer 100% cotton for these garments.

I do not know anyone belonging to the tribe that wears underwear with sleep wear, although how would one know if someone belonged to that tribe. I think that tribe might have died out if it ever existed due to obvious reasons.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I mentioned the underwear because there was a media 'debate' about this about six months ago, mainly involving women. Some women though sleeping without underwear as well as nightwear was gross and unhygienic.
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

I sleep naked and have done since childhood and being given the choice.

A dressing gown is used for leaving the bedroom if anyone else is around, but generally naked till I get dressed.
Midas
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Midas »

Try

justforyouboutique.co.uk
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I also sleep au naturel even in winter but for moving around the house late at night I have some fleece women's pj's and some short nightdresses/tunics to cover myself. Some of them have actually come from my granddaughters who are living here and, although they have on occasion accidentally seen me naked, they are somewhat embarrassed and sensitive about it. Me, I don't really care about being seen but, well, they are my granddaughters.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I did find some long sleeved long night shirts and bought three. They were not expensive, unfortunately they are not very well made and a couple of seams need to be re-sown. They are comfortable and I use them a lot in the warmer weather. For cold weather I went to Nights in White Flannel and asked them to make me some night gowns and some night shirts, made to measure and ankle length. I have been wearing those for many years now, they last really well and are ever so warm.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I'm always in a chemise/slip by choice so they're strappy on my shoulders but I have different lengths - mostly above knee but I have longer, usually with a split.

I pair them with a bolero - which covers my shoulders/arms if I am sitting in bed or up and about - but obviously the bolero is not for sleeping in.

cheers
NZF.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:40 am I'm always in a chemise/slip by choice so they're strappy on my shoulders but I have different lengths - mostly above knee but I have longer, usually with a split.

I pair them with a bolero - which covers my shoulders/arms if I am sitting in bed or up and about - but obviously the bolero is not for sleeping in.

cheers
NZF.
I thought a Bolero was a rather impressive piece of classical music, is that like a cape type of thing?
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Big and Bashful wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:21 am I thought a Bolero was a rather impressive piece of classical music, is that like a cape type of thing?
I think it has musical connotation as well being a clothing style. Boleros are cropped tops - often very short in length - so they work well with a typical dress/strappy top. They do and don't fasten at the front, your sleeves are usually full length and it would end well above your waist, so with your arms by your side the bolero would end higher than your elbows. They'd typically just cover your bust. I think from a practicality perspective the compliment a lot of dresses and cover the arms/shoulders which are typically exposed.

Some are dress jackets - some are woollen knits for external wear.
I was referring to a tie front satiny (probably a polyester of some sort) nightwear version that is part of one of the sets I have.

Cheers
NZF
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:20 am
Big and Bashful wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:21 am I thought a Bolero was a rather impressive piece of classical music, is that like a cape type of thing?
I think it has musical connotation as well being a clothing style. Boleros are cropped tops - often very short in length - so they work well with a typical dress/strappy top. They do and don't fasten at the front, your sleeves are usually full length and it would end well above your waist, so with your arms by your side the bolero would end higher than your elbows. They'd typically just cover your bust. I think from a practicality perspective the compliment a lot of dresses and cover the arms/shoulders which are typically exposed.

Some are dress jackets - some are woollen knits for external wear.
I was referring to a tie front satiny (probably a polyester of some sort) nightwear version that is part of one of the sets I have.

Cheers
NZF
Ah right, that rings a bell! thanks!
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I do have a long nightshirt which my wife gave me, but she gets cold and has warm bedding, so usually I am struggling to stay cool and do not wear nightwear that covers my upper half.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

I have to cover my upper half, thanks to a couple of cats who like to deliver CPR in the mornings, one also uses claws when kneading me! A layer of cloth helps. So when I am feeling too warm in bed, I stick a leg out from under the quilt, this helps. It also helps to have a waterbed, the temperature is kept steady no matter what the room temperature is, which is nice!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Myopic Bookworm wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:13 pm I do have a long nightshirt which my wife gave me, but she gets cold and has warm bedding, so usually I am struggling to stay cool and do not wear nightwear that covers my upper half.
A chemise would be perfect in that case.