Hot weather kilt

Kilt-based fashions, both traditional and contemporary. Come on guys, bring on the pleats!
skirted84
Distinguished Member

Hot weather kilt

Post by skirted84 »

I saw a video recently by 2 kiltmakers that touched on the matter of kilts in hot weather, and the wisdom that a lighter cloth will be more comfortable and cooler in such temperatures. This woman actually had a counter intuitive view but one she could vouch for that heavier material is actually cooler as it doesn't cling to your body as much, where a lighter kilt or skirt will crush and stick with no ventilation. Counter intuitive as I say but I can see some sense.

Is this a widely held view?
Myopic Bookworm
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Hot weather kilt

Post by Myopic Bookworm »

I don't think there's any way that my full weight, multi-yard woollen kilts are cooler than the one I had made with a shorter length of medium weight material, let alone the super-light one bought from ebay (said to have been made for a Scottish band in a tropical climate). Even if a heavier material hangs straight, there's a heck of a lot of cloth gathered at the waist which makes for a warm garment, and a lightweight skirt does not cling or crush unless it's made of the wrong sort of textile.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sweat and heavy wool just does not equate with comfort.
Sure striding about in the high country ventilates things but sitting for even a short period, purgatory unless you tend toward the masochistic?
I'd go with a cotton or linen on such occasions.
Steve.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

You want movement in dem underparts for the cooling effect - no matter the weight of the kilt fabric.
No movement - NO ventilation - around the waist a stagnate situation that will be hard to avoid.
A shorter hem length is recommended for the best cooling effect releasing the built up heat under the apron(s)

Although the topic is KILT - this is where a wide hem skater skirt would be a better choice.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I wear a short cotton "slip" under my kilts so there's no clinging of the kilt material, but that being said it's often quite warm/humid here and I definitely prefer the lightweight kilts like the SportKilt hiking kilt or JWalking Designs running kilt that don't use the wool or PV fabric.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

I work alot out in the heat of summer in kilt.
I only wear my traditional kilts for special occasions.
But for work, hiking or just going out to to day by day things i wear
utility kilts as well as simple skater style skirt.
I also have very thin long skirts that i do wear as well.

Weather and what i'm doing will very what i wear,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

For hot weather (not that there's much danger of that around here at present) I haven't found anything to beat a Purple Rain Adventure Skirt. Super-light, airy and comfortable. And my wife approves ;-) There's a kilt-style version too.
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

The stuff from Purple Rain do look good,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

Light hearted gear skirts and kilts are amazing too!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

I have a utility kilt made from ripstop fabric, and it's quite light while still being robust. It's definitely cooler that shorts in our tropical humid summers here in SE QLD.

There are a few kilt companies that produce the ripstop kilts, and they're one that I quite like.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

geron wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:55 pm For hot weather (not that there's much danger of that around here at present) I haven't found anything to beat a Purple Rain Adventure Skirt. Super-light, airy and comfortable. And my wife approves ;-) There's a kilt-style version too.
I agree with you on the purple rain adventure skirts and kilts. I use them to run in, including a 50 mile race last October. For hiking and backpacking I use Lightheart hiking skirts they have plenty of ventilation. I have never had them stick to my legs. And when its cold out I just put a pair of running tights on.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

Purple Rain has a re-designed adventure kilt available now: https://www.purplerainskirts.com/shop/a ... kilt-black
The original advenuture kilt has gotten a makeover. It has an updated waistband that features an enclosed elastic band and drawstring for that perfect fit. The shorts conversion also got an update with a more intuitive snap design for additional coverage when needed.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

FLbreezy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:38 pm Purple Rain has a re-designed adventure kilt available now: https://www.purplerainskirts.com/shop/a ... kilt-black
The original advenuture kilt has gotten a makeover. It has an updated waistband that features an enclosed elastic band and drawstring for that perfect fit. The shorts conversion also got an update with a more intuitive snap design for additional coverage when needed.
Ordered mine already
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sorry to rain on your parade guys but this is not a kilt, it is just a wrap skirt.
This is what it says on the tin "PURPLERAINSKIRTS".
Pedantic, yes but avoiding the S word in terms of menswear merely perpetuates the myth that real men don't wear skirts.
Call the damn spade a spade and enjoy whatever you do in whatever you wish to wear.
For what it's worth, I'd wear that skirt too.
Steve.
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

I'm not under any illusion as to it being a skirt. It's actually not even a real wrap, it's a pull-on skirt with an extra fold in front to have a more kilt-like apron. It does hide the outline of man-bits a little better than their regular adventure skirt. I like both styles, they're really comfortable.