Chicken Daddies

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Chicken Daddies

Post by Coder »

https://www.chickendaddies.com

Not sure how to feel about this - coworker sent the link to a few of us. It's hilarious... but fear it perpetuates some stereotypes a bit. I also feel like this is a good opening to make a joke or something like "I could probably rock a skirt, not sure about a prairie dress".

(and for those unaware, early on in the pandemic Target (US retailer) started selling prarie-style dresses, and a #targetdresschallenge popped up on Twitter. I'm pretty sure someone (could have been me) posted about it here.)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Chicken Daddies

Post by Kirbstone »

I do think a prequesite would be to be American to see any hilarity there. Naked very fat bellies have limited appeal.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 pm I do think a prequesite would be to be American to see any hilarity there. Naked very fat bellies have limited appeal.

Tom
Not the daisy dukes - that calendar weirds me out. Unfortunately because I’m american and am surrounded by a specific culture I understand why some would find it hilarious.

The other calendar is men in prairie dresses. Not that they are my style… but I suppose some might like it. The concept is funny - they have another with women in dresses with chickens. And maybe “hilarious” is too strong a word.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:01 pmI do think a prequesite would be to be American to see any hilarity there. Naked very fat bellies have limited appeal.
That doesn't help. It's not funny (as in humorous) here, either.

"Prairie dresses" enjoyed a brief vogue here in the late 1970s (just before the worst of the societal rot started setting in), and my then girlfriend wore one to her senior prom in 1980. She looked darned good in it, too. That's a pretty style. 'Tis a shame that "pretty" has disappeared from the horizon in the past 40 years.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Many cultures have customs that seem strange to others and there is no exception here.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

They don't tickle my funny bones, but it takes all kinds!
FLbreezy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FLbreezy »

The prairie dress version seems kind of wholesomely amusing, the daisy-dukes one not so much...like trying to take a joke too far that wasn't funny in the first place.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

According to the reviews people love it. However, you must consider that the reviews are specifically selected by the company. I did not see one negative review, which I could not see them publishing. I read through many of them and question their legitamacy. Based on the reviews, if they are accurate, the calendars seem to be selling in large quantities every day. One can see that five or more reviews seem to be posted almost daily. I find this hard to believe.

I would wager their are some "good ole" boys in my neck of the woods with these calendars mounted to posts that they utilize for target practice. I agree with the above comments that this type of display only further perpetuates stereotypes.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Seems like good old American fun to me... doesn't offend me in the slightest... Did it make me laugh out loud? No, but it did make me smile...

In fact, I'd almost be willing to do a pose (though I'd likely have to let my leg hair grow out again... :wink: )

Hey... I've got a barn... :lol:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:02 pm Hey... I've got a barn... :lol:
A slightly more important question: Do you have chickens?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:33 pm
I've got a bag of drumsticks in the freezer... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 pmI've got a bag of drumsticks in the freezer... :wink:
Close enough!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 pm
Then your next task is to take a photo outside a barn holding the bag of drumsticks :P
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Coder wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:12 am
moonshadow wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:59 pm
Then your next task is to take a photo outside a barn holding the bag of drumsticks :P
Nope he won't be able to cause his Birthday is Monday and I'm making him fried chicken 🙂
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

MOH keeps poultry including chickens which when they become hens provide us with more eggs than we can consume, so she sells them to selected local lady friends who attest that they are way superior to anything available in the shops.

I just buy whopping big sacks of mixed corn and layers' pellets which we keep in large compartmented metal bins. I also built and maintain the impressive tall fencing to keep the little critters where they should be, also the coops where they spend nights safe from predators.

So I suppose I'm a real chicken daddy.

Rom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !