What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What is your favorite skirt for flying and why?

Post by rode_kater »

I haven't done it yet, but my idea would by some kind of knit fabric. The idea of 24 hours in a plane with the freedom of a skirt seems very attractive, compared to pants.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Skirted Geoff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:26 pm I recently flew from Stansted airport in UK wearing a denim mini skirt. Very busy long queue for security were I set the scanner off I believe due to button on the skirt. I was patted down but he didn't know how far go, thought I would be put behind a screen.
I'm surprised the buttons set off the scanner. I've gone in Utilikilts with tons of buttons and very little issues. Usually they just ask me to take off the oversized belt I've got on. They might pat the pockets, or my leg a bit, and that's it. Once the security guy made a comment about the machine not knowing what to flag with a guy in a kilt. We both sort of laughed. That was with the naked body scanner thing. I've also been sent through the metal detector without all those buttons setting anything off.

Back when I flew in shorts, I remember a spare button sewn into the pocket of one was enough to set off the scanner. I pulled the pocket inside out for the security guy and he was satisfied just feeling the button through the pocket fabric and lightly patting my leg.
Skirted Geoff

Post by Skirted Geoff »

I was surprised as well but it's the only thing it could have been. Caught me off guard when I was directed over to be searched, I forgot that could happen, ah well wouldn't have changed anything. The comments about kilt pins etc will have to remember in future.
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Talking of Stansted, I have flown there from Edinburgh to there several times when I was still working. It was whilst wearing a 17" khaki cargo skirt. That was very comfortable and pleasant!
I also have a pacemaker so cannot go through the metal detectors and had to have a hands search. The fellow smiled when he ran his fingers along the short skirts hem. 😀
Saw the same fellow on other occasions snd got the same broad smile. 😎😀
At Stansted I then hired a car to go to Broadstairs for my site meeting (but put on trousers for the meeting as the client was a stickler for 'proper dress' including ties at all times for men despite temperatures in high 20's C)
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

skirtingtoday wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 am Talking of Stansted, I have flown there from Edinburgh to there several times when I was still working. It was whilst wearing a 17" khaki cargo skirt. That was very comfortable and pleasant!
Hi ST
I'm jolly sure that it was too!
However, would any comfortable skirt, or dress for that matter, be dependant on a specific mode of travel.
Would it not have been just as good on a bus going along your local high street for instance?
As for the Security Dudes, it is always good to raise a smile or two.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

skirtingtoday wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 am the client was a stickler for 'proper dress' including ties at all times for men despite temperatures in high 20's C
These kinds of absurd standards are what got me looking into skirts in the first place...
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:42 am
Hi ST
I'm jolly sure that it was too!
However, would any comfortable skirt, or dress for that matter, be dependant on a specific mode of travel.
Would it not have been just as good on a bus going along your local high street for instance?
As for the Security Dudes, it is always good to raise a smile or two.
Steve.
Hi Stevie,
I have many times travelled by train and bus whilst skirted. Not had any problems and very few folk even noticed even with 14" denim minis!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

skirtingtoday wrote: ↑
the client was a stickler for 'proper dress' including ties at all times for men despite temperatures in high 20's C
I used to have to go to meetings like that, until I decided one really hot day (97 F 36 C) I showed up wearing a light weight sport shirt and no tie, My boss had a heart attack and the client said he would not do business with a company that did not force a dress code on it's employees. In the end not only did we keep the contract but it was increased up a few notches. It seemed the clients own employees agreed with my dress code and convinced him to go along.. (They really needed us to do our magic in the end.)
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
e2k2houck

Post by e2k2houck »

I have flown 3 times in the last 2 years. I have worn a skirt every time and have not had any problems at all. The skirts have all been just above the knees. This is my favorite skirt to fly in, and while on a layover in Baltimore I was stopped by a woman and asked where I got the skirt. Its very comfortable to travel in
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

e2k2houck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:27 am This is my favorite skirt to fly in, and while on a layover in Baltimore I was stopped by a woman and asked where I got the skirt. Its very comfortable to travel in
I love my LightHeart Gear skirts too! The pockets are amazing and helpful when traveling.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I only flew once in a skirt. I had been to London for meetings with various people and also a six-monthly get together for a scattered team. I packed a white t-shirt and a plain black knee-length stretch viscose skirt (£3 in the Dorothy Perkins sale, IIRC).

The temperature in London was around 26C, too warm for the white shirt with tie, black trousers, shoes and socks. I found a clean (but rather cramped) public toilet and did a quick change. Unfortunately, there was no room in my rucksack for alternative footwear, so I had to keep the black shoes and ankle socks. I took public transport to City Airport, grabbed a snack, then joined the queue at the gate (lower level, bus to the plane type).

I flew back to Edinburgh in a row on my own, with no issues. However, the bare legs with the cabin aircon were a little cool! I had to change before arriving home for obvious reasons. Sadly the skirt is one that went in the Big Clearout (viewtopic.php?p=202268#p202268) along with some of my other favourites.
stephanie53

Post by stephanie53 »

photoguy207 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:04 pm
e2k2houck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:27 am This is my favorite skirt to fly in, and while on a layover in Baltimore I was stopped by a woman and asked where I got the skirt. Its very comfortable to travel in
I love my LightHeart Gear skirts too! The pockets are amazing and helpful when traveling.
I looked at there website. very nice looking dresses and skirts. Is it really worth $115 dollars?
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nice skirts but, not that it really matters, my search revealed that they are now down to $98 - still outside my price range.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

The cost of an item is only really relevant to the purchaser's wallet.
However, am I missing some obscure correlation between the price and it's perceived suitability for wearing while in flight.
When air travel was still regarded as "special", there was a Sunday Best attitude toward what was correct.
I thought that absurdity had been consigned to history.
Steve.
photoguy207
Member Extraordinaire

Post by photoguy207 »

stephanie53 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:13 pm
I looked at there website. very nice looking dresses and skirts. Is it really worth $115 dollars?
They are to me. ($98 + us shipping) Well made, nice material and huge pockets that are helpful to carry equipment etc when I’m photographing at my studio or on location.

They also have a snap in the center at the hem for windy days or times when you want to look like you are wearing shorts, but still have the benefits of wearing a skirt.