Breaking the Gender Binary with Rob Smith | Rob Smith | TEDxCMU

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Breaking the Gender Binary with Rob Smith | Rob Smith | TEDxCMU

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:22 pm I have noticed a few men starting to carry bags, and I can't really say that I've seen any other colour but black.
Hi Dennis
Aberdeen will never be known for being a hotbed of liberal male couture.
The guys around here carry bags in all shapes and sizes.
Admittedly, the colours usually are the blue, black, brown variety but that just equates with male fashion generally.
My own one is an ex R.A.F. side pack with the regulation shoulder strap in air force blue.
Great little general purpose holdall.
On the original topic I'd just like to pick up on another comment;
Sinned wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:56 pm Personally I don't see that my skirt wearing is going to have any effect on the sartorial choices of men even locally
You may never know what affect you have been having and not just in a fashion choice context either.
Finally, I go for option Z which is just what I damn well pleaZe!
Steve
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl,

"This is sort of odd and conflicts with my memories of a managerial-level guy who visited the computing facility where I worked in Waltham, MA/USA from the one that we had in Milton Keynes in the UK -- and he carried a mid-sized grey clutch, and I was given to understand that the practise was common there at the time. It was a bit of a shock to the US types."

I don't know how long ago this was but MK is sarf and they can have more cosmopolitan habits down there but I'm not sure that bags as in women's types was commonplace. I can neither confirm or deny for certain. Up narf here my experience is that bag carrying is a more recent affair but on the increase.

Steve, maybe there are other coloured bags on the loose and I do believe you but I have only seen black. Sorry.

narf - north, sarf, south, points of the compass.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:27 pmI don't know how long ago this was but MK is sarf and they can have more cosmopolitan habits down there but I'm not sure that bags as in women's types was commonplace. I can neither confirm or deny for certain. Up narf here my experience is that bag carrying is a more recent affair but on the increase.
I'm thinking '81 or possibly '82 at the latest. It was not recent.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sinned wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:27 pm Steve, maybe there are other coloured bags on the loose and I do believe you but I have only seen black. Sorry.
No apology necessary Dennis.
Think BBC English;
I am sure that you have observed correctly given the geographical demographic of the clientele who patronise your emporium.
On a wider note, I was aware of bags for men in the 70s. A tailor tried to sell me one to accessorise a suit he made for me.
I turned it down because I hadn't got to option Z at that time. They were also imported from Italy and pricy.
I hate the term but perhaps the "manbag" is a good indicator of the blurring of the gender binary. There is certainly no denying it's traction in relation to what would have been deemed feminine with an F not so long ago.
I may get myself a new one to coordinate with my Christmas outfit this year too.
Steve.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

As I noted on my previous post here, I started carrying a PURSE (not manbag -- I believe in calling a spade and spade, and a kilt is a skirt) -- after several on this site told me they did and found no pushback from adding a handbag/purse to their skirt/dress. BTW, that bag is light brown/tan (not Black). I did buy a black one to better coordinate & blend with the colors of skirt/shirt, but it is a bit bulky and I've only used it once. I keep watching for a smaller version.

Anyway: What is the whole truth here --- HOW MANY OF SC MEMBERS DO CARRY A PURSE?
I do, probably about 50% of the time -- using coat pockets, and skirts that do have ample pockets the rest of the time.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I carry a bag 100% of the time.
That way I don't have to think which jacket or outfit can accommodate what.
Simple fact, it also means that I don't have to rely on my memory to move items around either.
As for the terminology, manbag is just about as pointless as manskirt.
I cannot be bothered with the semantics, it is just a bag, a skirt or whatever.
Not any kickback but that bag has drawn more compliments as it has become more distressed with wear.
Old and grizzled, it matches the owner.
Steve.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I absolutely NEVER leave home on my little outings without a purse/handbag. Putting items in pockets on skirts has been a non-starter for me from jump street, and I feel no self-consciousness whatsoever from carrying a bag, I mean, why should I? What works for women works for me!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I had to rush out and go to the post office, not realizing the skirt I was wearing didn’t have pockets, it was a mess. I had to stuff my credit card, id, pen into my boots just to make it into the building with my package, packing tape, and phone (plus keys, obviously). This would have been one of those tomes I could have had some sort of bag/purse/pouch with me.

Otherwise - so long as I can fit my key, wallet (a thin metal business card holder) and phone - I don’t need an extra bag to carry around.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 amAnyway: What is the whole truth here --- HOW MANY OF SC MEMBERS DO CARRY A PURSE?
I do when the need arises as it did yesterday when I felt like wearing one of my dresses that doesn't have pockets -- thus the purse.

I took some stick at my local when I showed up with my laptop bag -- with the laptop in it, because I wanted to get a look at the place's busted network -- where it was called a "murse" (I hate those bastardised words). I pointed out that, "No, that's my laptop bag." and proceeded to produce the laptop. Then I held up the little sparkly bag that was held by a cross-body chain (and can function as a clutch) and pointed out that, "That's my purse." to which there were grins and chuckles.

On the network front... Well, the place has trouble. The wireless access point/router that they replaced the old one with today works great -- nice strong signal from across the room -- but the upstream device was some random computer likely in some random data-centre somewhere not anything public or routeable (an IP address beginning with 192.168 are not supposed to be publicly routeable) leading me to believe that their upstream device has been cracked.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 am HOW MANY OF SC MEMBERS DO CARRY A PURSE?
I do, probably about 50% of the time -- using coat pockets, and skirts that do have ample pockets the rest of the time.
I use something like this (not the brand) to have my phone, wallet, mask, and keys. If I have no pockets, my handkerchief and pocket knife go here too. If I have more to carry I use a daypack. I like having my hands free and don't like the feeling of something hanging from my neck. A shoulder strap is unbalanced, thus the pack.

My wife uses a similar one much of the time, but a tiny drawstring bag on more formal occasions.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have 3 or 4 small bags big enough for phone, keys etc, all black except for one in the shape of a small version of a satchel in turquoise! Instead of a wallet I carry a purse, an ex-woman's purse white purse with zip compartment for change an a fold portion for notes and cards.

Jim I have a bum bag remarkable similar to the right hand one on the lower part of the picture.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I started to carry an over the shoulder bag when I started to wear skirts. I do not go any where with out it. I have two of them they are black and hold the smaller one holds my keys and phone as well as my wallet and not much more. The larger one the one I use most often will carry that as well as my checkbook and meds when I need to have them with me.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Faldaguy wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:47 am nyway: What is the whole truth here --- HOW MANY OF SC MEMBERS DO CARRY A PURSE?
I do, and like you, calling it what it is doesnt bother me.

Sometimes someone comes up to me and ask, "is that a...... PURSE???" (completely ignoring the skirt...)

I just reply,

"...... yeah."

Apparently they didn't know. ? *shrugs*
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

My SO gave me a handbag a couple of years ago. It's black square thing with a strap over the shoulder strap so doesn't appear feminine in any way.

I use it a lot in the summer (in the winter I have a jacket with 6 large pockets). When international I like it because it's large enough to hold the (airline) tickets, booking info, passports, maps, and other stuff that travelling as a tourist requires. Was in Genoa last week (amazing city btw) and it held all the important stuff and no-one batted an eyelid. Biggest benefit is that you can take it with you into museums whereas backpacks they want you to check-in.

I can't say I have ever had anyone make a comment about it.

I have an uncle who has used a purse all his life and he wouldn't be caught dead in a skirt.

Which reminds me, there used to be fanny pack/bum bag, but I haven't seen them for ages.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:26 pm My SO gave me a handbag a couple of years ago. It's black square thing with a strap over the shoulder strap so doesn't appear feminine in any way.
What's wrong with feminine?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.