Clothes that Unite Us

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Clothes that Unite Us

Post by jamodu »

There are relatively few items of clothing that are not necessarily intended for Men. It’s probably just a single item. Mostly, the differences are style related rather than in substance. That is, Men and Women both wear….

Coats,
Shoes,
Socks,
Belts,
Sweatshirts,
Jumpers,
Cardigans,
Shirts,
T-Shirts,
Trousers/Pants,
Underpants,
Vests,
Jeans,
Kilts,
Pyjamas,
Jewellery.

Primarily, the remaining items of clothing that Women exclusively claim for themselves include….

Skirts,
Dresses,
Stockings, Tights/Pantyhose,
Suspender/Garter Belt,
Half/Full Slips.
Bras.

Clearly, more items of clothing are common to both Men and Women. The differences are in style and fit. Arguably, of the remaining items, Bras are the only item of clothing that is naturally designed for Women’s unique anatomy. The inherent style of everything else is dependent on changes in acceptance/marketing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Clothes that Unite Us

Post by Fred in Skirts »

And it is very unlikely to change anytime soon!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Of the female list the items stockings/tights/pantyhose, suspender/garter belt and half/full slips can go with wearing a skirt. Which leaves a very much diminished list.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

Now lets eliminate the items from the list that are seldom worn by women.

Skirts,
Dresses,
Stockings, Tights/Pantyhose,
Suspender/Garter Belt,
Half/Full Slips.

Bras.

And bras may be on the way out eventually soon too.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Brad wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:37 pm
And bras may be on the way out eventually soon too.
I hope so. They look so unnatural and uncomfortable.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

.......... and the list of items that only men wear, striking out things that have gone out of fashion:

Codpieces
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Jim wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 pm I hope so. They [ed: bras] look so unnatural and uncomfortable.
Perhaps. My wife always hated wearing a bra, but she hated the discomfort of her generous breasts flopping around loose even more. Of course that's a sample size of exactly one, so I don't know how many women consider them a "necessary evil" vs. how many would rather do without and how many enjoy wearing them.
Ralph!
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

Ralph wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:42 pm
Jim wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:02 pm I hope so. They [ed: bras] look so unnatural and uncomfortable.
Perhaps. My wife always hated wearing a bra, but she hated the discomfort of her generous breasts flopping around loose even more. Of course that's a sample size of exactly one, so I don't know how many women consider them a "necessary evil" vs. how many would rather do without and how many enjoy wearing them.
I also have the problem of my enlarged breasts being uncomfortable without a bra whenever I ride or drive in a vehicle, as my bra cup size is DD. I don't mind wearing a bra. It's like wearing a pair of shoes. Ralph, maybe your wife is wearing the wrong size bra, which would be uncomfortable.

John
Last edited by JohnH on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

John, if the general press is anything to go by, most women wear the wrong sized bra. Typically they wear the same size as they did 20 years ago neglecting the fact that their body size has changed.

So we can conclude then that there are really no clothes that are specific just to men or women?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Or perhaps they can't find the right size on the rack:

Link

Sure, it's a survey in a group that's going to attract people with hard to find sizes, but I don't doubt the problem is real.
Last edited by rode_kater on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Which country was the survey done in?  There are significant variations between countries because of differences in nutrition and cultural selective breeding.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

It's Reddit...
Bodycon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bodycon »

Sinned wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:50 pm So we can conclude then that there are really no clothes that are specific just to men or women?
Putting aside Sex and Gender identities. Insofar as women tend to be the ones with breasts, then bras are clothing intended (or specific) for women.

As we know, some men have breasts and some of them wear bras. Unless these are specially made, they are not intended as male wear, so no, the conclusion as I see it, is that bras are specific to women.

Conversely, I would also contend that a posing pouch or even the humble underpants are specific clothing for men, as women, while they could wear them, would have nothing to put in the pouch... :lol: Women's knickers don't accommodate male genitals by design either, however many men wear them anyway.

I think we should accept that there are limits to what can be claimed as non-specific clothing and underwear especially is specific for basic anatomical reasons. Every rule has an exception, however exceptions are discounted when calculating the statistical mode.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

rode_kater wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 am Sure, it's a survey in a group that's going to attract people with hard to find sizes, but I don't doubt the problem is real.
I had no idea breast sizes went up that high. Can you imagine being that one person (presumably female) who is 34LL? What would that even look like?

Also, why is AA smaller than A (guessing based on its leftmost position on the chart) but all the other double-letters are larger than their single-letter counterparts?

[EDIT] found the answer to my last question, at least. Because "A" was created as the absolute smallest possible cup size, but then retailers found customers who don't really need to wear a bra wanting a bra sized for a smaller-than-A chest. Since there are no letters lower than A they used AA. Seems to me they could have used "0" to be more clear how that size relates to all the other sizes, but nobody consulted me.
Ralph!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I thought the thread title was 'Clothes that unite us'

For the life of me I cannot see how discussing outsize bra sizes has anything to do with it.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !