Rethinking Lingerie....

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Rethinking Lingerie....

Post by SkirtsDad »

I am glad there is agreement on people not having to justify what they wear :-) In response to Ralph asking about bralettes, well, going by the British definition (apparently), that is, a tight-fitting crop top with thin straps, then I do find them useful for wearing under a top that I feel the 'V' is cut a bit low, as in the photo below:
P1030431sc.jpg
Similarly they can be worn under something one might consider a bit too see-through. Being elasticated and snug fitting it doesn't move around like a t-shirt might, also it has a lower neckline, so there are certain potential fashion advantages in some instances.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

There's been some discussion of why we may or may not want to wear a bra.

One Sunday I was informed in a very insistent manner of yet another reason that I don't think made it into this thread yet; suppressing one's nipples. As I've said a number of times, no one needs an anatomy lesson from us.

So I've generally worn sufficient "intimates" to accomplish that goal.

Once I got started down that path I realized a) I prefer lace undergarments to plain and b) while I didn't want to look like I was trying out for the Miss America Contest, my dresses would drape better if I made the most of what little I had.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

This is an interesting discussion going in a few different directions, namely: 1) traditional women's wear items are being redesigned and marketed toward men, in this case undies; 2) critique of the linked Moot catalog items; and 3) what undergarments we enjoy wearing, including bras.

My thoughts: 1) As we have seen for skirts, redesigning "feminine" or "women's" clothes for men are only marginally successful as the designers seem to have strange ideas about what men would want to wear. Convincing men to wear skirts is one thing, but how many men would purchase the bizarre overpriced numbers that are occasionally released as some couturier's new line? As for underwear, many years ago manufacturers began offering bikini briefs, or at least briefs smaller than the traditional Y-fronts. There is much more variety now than there used to be. And various offerings have been made to men in catalogs such as Fredericks of Hollywood over the years. Now the Moot company is taking such feminine elements as straps, lace, and transparent fabrics and offering lots of things, from thongs to body suits, to men. Will this catch on? I guess those intimates were designed with particular attention to male anatomy and body shapes, so the company might be justified in supplying a small niche market. But many men have no problem wearing undergarments designed for women, so it will be a limited market.

2) Personally, none of the catalog items are appealing to me. They do seem slanted toward the fetish market, and are clearly meant to be seen. They seem impractical and fragile as everyday undergarments. But, "whatever floats your boat" applies, and I have nothing against those who would get satisfaction from underdressing with these items. (I can't resist saying that for me, that is a Moot point!)

3) I don't think a wide-ranging discussion about what undergarments we wear is too helpful to the SkirtCafe, and I'm surprised that the Mods have let the thread evolve as it has. Maybe SkirtCafe has evolved... I've been out of touch for a few years.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtheissue wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 pm3) I don't think a wide-ranging discussion about what undergarments we wear is too helpful to the SkirtCafe, and I'm surprised that the Mods have let the thread evolve as it has. Maybe SkirtCafe has evolved... I've been out of touch for a few years.
It's a bit of a "science experiment". I'm trying to ascertain whether a balance can be struck between a practical question that occasionally crops up and the "Iron Fist" rule.

Styles have definitely changed over the years, and I don't really think for the better. It's dovetailed with what I've witnessed in the political/sociological context over the past several decades as well.

The main thing is that I do not want to see the "discussion" either go off on a wild fantasy tangent or take over the forum -- and I have seen the topic rip apart USENET groups in the past. Neither of those outcomes would be good for The Skirt Cafe.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Though I'm not personally distressed by a discussion of lingerie; and I suspect many on this forum hold a very tolerant view of what other's wear is their own dang business, I'm still not sure the topic enhances the role of SK as a body to help more men get into skirts.

I suspect many a 'new-comer' to this site may be struggling a bit with their desires to wear skirts in public, and still worried that it may be 'pervy' -- so bumping up against discussions of flimsy lace underwear; nipple suppression or expression, and such may keep them at bay. On the flip side, it may tend to bring in elements more interested in underwear/lingerie fetishes rather than just guys wanting to wear skirts.

All of these things may be useful and have their place, but I'm not sure SK is the forum -- I'm inclined to think we should restrain our clothing discussions to the basics of outward appearances when men incorporate styles more commonly thought to be the exclusive domain of women.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

skirtingtheissue wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 pm many years ago manufacturers began offering bikini briefs, or at least briefs smaller than the traditional Y-fronts.

-----Henry
I think I'm right in saying they were more popular in Europe, Germany in particular. They tend to call them "slips" just to confuse the issue.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

It's a bit of a "science experiment". I'm trying to ascertain whether a balance can be struck between a practical question that occasionally crops up and the "Iron Fist" rule.

Styles have definitely changed over the years, and I don't really think for the better. It's dovetailed with what I've witnessed in the political/sociological context over the past several decades as well.

The main thing is that I do not want to see the "discussion" either go off on a wild fantasy tangent or take over the forum -- and I have seen the topic rip apart USENET groups in the past. Neither of those outcomes would be good for The Skirt Cafe.

Thank you Carl! I feel what you are doing IS timely and the way you are doing it is just right.

My comments were meant to point out how lingerie can assist one in keeping his outward appearance modest, discreet and acceptable.

So, as Carl was suggesting, if anyone else has any additional thoughts on the practical applications of lingerie, they're probably germane and acceptable. Just keep them clean.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Pdxfashionpioneer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am

So, as Carl was suggesting, if anyone else has any additional thoughts on the practical applications of lingerie, they're probably germane and acceptable. Just keep them clean.
Dave, no antecedent to 'them' -- a notoriously bad double entendre; echoes of our Mothers, or our own comments? :roll:
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:49 am
by Pdxfashionpioneer » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:20 am

Dave, no antecedent to 'them' -- a notoriously bad double entendre; echoes of our Mothers, or our own comments? :roll:
"Them" clearly refers to "thoughts" to completely justifiable. Still a double entendre though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:45 am"Them" clearly refers to "thoughts" to completely justifiable. Still a double entendre though.
Well played, too!
AlexzanderSchmidt

Post by AlexzanderSchmidt »

You can wear whatever you want. Your style of dress is your personal choice. Sometimes I go without a bra, and I'm not embarrassed at all. I feel comfortable that way, so I don't consider other people's opinions. I also wear tight-fitting crop tops. I have beautiful lace underwear, but I don't want to wear it daily.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

AlexzanderSchmidt wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:07 pm You can wear whatever you want. Your style of dress is your personal choice. Sometimes
I go without a bra, and I'm not embarrassed at all. I feel comfortable that way, so I don't
consider other people's opinions. I also wear tight-fitting crop tops. I have beautiful lace
underwear, but I don't want to wear it daily.
Normally, if the item is 'not to be seen' it is not discussed here.
Examples are Bra and Panties. What we discuss about lingerie is
not "What We Wear" but how it affects the outer clothing we do
wear. A limp and droopy skirt may be enhanced by wearing a
petticoat(or two). The petticoat becomes a 'supporting member'
of our wardrobe. Pantyhose, tights and leggings are OK because
they are seen by others(at least below the hemline).

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Uncle Al wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:43 am Normally, if the item is 'not to be seen' it is not discussed here.
Examples are Bra and Panties. What we discuss about lingerie is
not "What We Wear" but how it affects the outer clothing we do
wear. A limp and droopy skirt may be enhanced by wearing a
petticoat(or two). The petticoat becomes a 'supporting member'
of our wardrobe. Pantyhose, tights and leggings are OK because
they are seen by others(at least below the hemline).
I absolutely love those guidelines. That's how we keep this site from straying into fetish territory.
Ralph!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ralph wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:03 pmI absolutely love those guidelines. That's how we keep this site from straying into fetish territory.
A lot of thought and more than a bit of history went into the creation of those guidelines. I've personally seen USENET groups that dealt with struggle and fail because nobody could get fetish under control. Thus, we try to run a reasonably tight ship, and try to do so with an even hand.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

NOTICE

Information regarding the original 'link' shared in the 1st post of this thread, having been brought to
our attention, that the website has "changed product format" and has moved into X-Rated :oops: items.
The "link" has been disabled :!:

As long as "we" don't venture into that realm, discussion - adhering to the guidelines - may continue.
What type, style, material, etc., of items worn under your outer clothes, is between you and your S.O.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)