Corona Virus

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Corona Virus

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:45 am
moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:24 am I just received word today that one of my aunts from my father's side has been diagnosed with covid.

She has not been vaccinated. When I asked why not (even my father has been) I was told that her preacher has convinced his congregation that the vaccine is literally the mark of the beast.
A bunch of my unvaccinated (and vaccinated) family just came down with covid as well. My cousin in particular has double pneumonia, not in the hospital yet but I’m a bit concerned since she too is in her 60’s (or late 50’s). Not sure the reason for her, certainly not religious, probably just general distrust of society. I wouldn’t go as fas as saying she’s a mountain woman, but pretty close to it.

They are in a different state - but prior to Delta they had been planning a family memorial for someone who had passed during the lockdowns (not covid, however). I was getting anxious as Delta took over the US, it seemed like it was becoming a bad idea.
I can somewhat tolerate the various secular reasons people list for not getting the jab. Bad information through social media, misleading news, mistrusting a biased doctor, I can accept the concerns about the relative "newness" of the vaccine, the concerns about long term side effects, etc. While I personally have concluded that the benefits outweigh the risk, I can at least respect certain opposing views...

But to say the vaccine is the "mark of the beast" and faithfully brainwash your congregation to not get the jab for that reason and that reason alone....

The very thought of it makes my blood boil. What a dirty rotten, irresponsible, sinister, cruel, stupid, ridiculous, asinine, thing to do.

I'd like to see the pastor prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license, and should anyone who followed his advice suffer death as a result, I'd like to see him charged with manslaughter.

He's toying with murder. This is some serious Jim Jones sh!t here...

At the very least revoke the son 'b!tches tax exempt status. That ain't religion, that's just pure concentrated evil.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Moon, the church has "cried wolf" so many times. It is a wonder they have a credibility left. The churh has attributed almost anything major that has ever happened in my lifetime to the end of times. I recall sitting in my 6th grade classroom waiting for an asteroid to destroy the earth. It is disgraceful that every time something happens it is attributed evil or end times. They completely ignore their own verses on this.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Freedomforall wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm Moon, the church has "cried wolf" so many times. It is a wonder they have any credibility left. The churh has attributed almost anything major that has ever happened in my lifetime to the end of times. I recall sitting in my 6th grade classroom waiting for an asteroid to destroy the earth. It is disgraceful that every time something happens it is attributed evil or end times. They completely ignore their own verses on this.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:20 pm
Gusto10 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:22 pmI shall refrain form further comments.
Please. I think we've had enough misinformation and conspiracy-theory. The problem is that folks somehow naturally seem to gravitate to the latter because the actual facts can be pretty darn boring.
This is misquoted and placed out of context. It concerend the message that a dear friend of 72 without previous medical history died within 2 days after being "vaccinated". How dare you to question that without proof of the contrary?

I'm surprised by the lack of openmindedness within this group of people bound by being non cenfentional: the unmotivated disqualification of an opinion, even after having been informed on the background, without argument; the disrespect for freedom of speech and thought (First amendment in the US,artts 1, 18 and 19 Universal decleration of Human right, art1 of the European declartion of Human rights, etc.
I noted, not only here, that the covid has trigged a second "virus", being polarization.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto,

Your comments are very abrupt. Covid has become a big part of everyone's lives and we can't have a single unlocked thread on the subject because you get in here and set everyone off with wild conspiracy theories.

It's to the point where almost everyone probably knows of at least a few people who have died of this virus, and to propagate constant conspiracy theories in front of people of whom you do not know their background is rather inconsiderate and rude.

For God's sake stop it. This isn't 4Chan. Can't you see nobody wants to hear it?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

And freedom of speech only means the government can not restrict your speech. Privately funded websites, forums, social media outlets, etc are within their rights to restrict whatever speech they want.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 amAnd freedom of speech only means the government can not restrict your speech. Privately funded websites, forums, social media outlets, etc are within their rights to restrict whatever speech they want.
Yes, but watch what would happen if I started locking threads that sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) in the face of a major public-health crisis. The wailing will be fast, furious, and shrill -- and the epithet of NAZI will get deployed, incorrectly as usual.

Indeed, it's likely getting to the point where all of us knows somebody that's either had it or had died from it -- including folks who have been vaccinated. So it can't really be considered surprising that there are quite a few sets of raw nerves around.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:45 am Gusto,

Your comments are very abrupt. Covid has become a big part of everyone's lives and we can't have a single unlocked thread on the subject because you get in here and set everyone off with wild conspiracy theories.

It's to the point where almost everyone probably knows of at least a few people who have died of this virus, and to propagate constant conspiracy theories in front of people of whom you do not know their background is rather inconsiderate and rude.

For God's sake stop it. This isn't 4Chan. Can't you see nobody wants to hear it?
Mon, I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories. I use reputable sources, available to all, and draw my owe conclusions as I have always done.
If anyone thinks it's based on conspiracy, let him prove it.
Last edited by Gusto10 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am And freedom of speech only means the government can not restrict your speech. Privately funded websites, forums, social media outlets, etc are within their rights to restrict whatever speech they want.
You are right in so far that has to be indicated at forehand what is and what isn't acceptable, like underwear not being acceptable as topic. Furthermore it may be expected that in case of doubt, according to the rules here, a pm will be used and also that application of the rules will not be done at will, this the thread on lingerie should have been closed immediately, which was not done so eventhough such was requested by various people.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Gusto10 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:17 pm
moonshadow wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:47 am And freedom of speech only means the government can not restrict your speech. Privately funded websites, forums, social media outlets, etc are within their rights to restrict whatever speech they want.
You are right in so far that has to be indicated at forehand what is and what isn't acceptable, like underwear not being acceptable as topic. Furthermore it may be expected that in case of doubt, according to the rules here, a pm will be used and also that application of the rules will not be done at will, this the thread on lingerie should have been closed immediately, which was not done so eventhough such was requested by various people.
You can PM whomever you want. This [skirtcafe] is not a democracy, nor is it a republic. It is a privately funded website, and whoever pays the bills sets the rules and decides how to enforce them.

If the mods decide the underwear thread stands, then it stands, if they decide they've had enough of covid conspiracy theories, then they've had enough.

I get annoyed because we can't have a covid thread because it always devolves into covid nonsense.

If this means that much to you, pony up the cash, start your own web forum and run it how you see fit. Such is your right.
-Andrea
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Gusto, I’m not sure you use reputable sources. I think that many in this forum have shown that they are anything but reputable.

I have still to hear a well reasoned argument from you on this topic.

I read many good posts from you on fashion related issues. On Covid? Regrettably, no.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

"Please ping if alive. Anything else can be sorted. Worried. -C"

Thus was just transmitted as an SMS to my lady-friend in Savannah, GA whom had a positive SARS-CoV-2 test on the 9th and whom I last head from on the 10th. I have no idea whether it'll ever be read.

"Worried." does not come remotely close to what I'm feeling.

If this wonderful lady got done in by some bloody reckless idiot "vaccine hesitant", or worse a "rugged individualist" or general conspiracy-theory believer I shall be really torqued off. I've got enough dead friends. I do not need any more -- especially needlessly.

Screw carrots, I'm ready to deploy sticks -- and with reference to Theodore Roosevelt's stick. "Make stupid hurt." I'm done with this idiocy.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Here's one for Gusto.

This morning some bonehead from an IP address in Russia tried spamming the form flogging Ivermectin as a cure for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

It never appeared publicly, of course, the account immediately getting terminated, the post disapproved, and the incident reported to stopforumspam.com so others will be able to block on IP address and/or username and/or e-mail address.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:03 pm Here's one for Gusto.

This morning some bonehead from an IP address in Russia tried spamming the form flogging Ivermectin as a cure for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

It never appeared publicly, of course, the account immediately getting terminated, the post disapproved, and the incident reported to stopforumspam.com so others will be able to block on IP address and/or username and/or e-mail address.
Your post stirs some thoughts I've been mulling on for at least the last few years regarding the influence of foreign adversaries on the internet in general. As I take a step back and observe the end result (in progress) of this misinformation, not just of the Covid-19 pandemic, but of election issues, politics, and other matters it becomes clear to me that traditional "warfare" involving artillery, tanks, bombs, etc is a thing mostly of the past. In fact, I'd almost argue that when we see traditional "warfare" it has less to do with ideological issues, conquest, or even a takeover of natural resources, it seems most warfare we see in the modern era has more to do with maintaining the modern military industrial complex. But I digress..

Evidence seems to indicate that the best way to destroy a nation is from the inside and with her own people. This is best accomplished by propagating misinformation and keeping the populous wound up on internal strife and other trivial issues. In decades past the division surrounded racial matters mostly, but today the attack seems to be directly on our democratic process itself! Frankly the notion scares the hell out of me, because it's working.

A house divided can not stand. We're going to crash and burn. We can still stop it, but we won't. Attitudes are as hardened as ever. Nobody stops to listen, nobody stops to consider the other side of an issue, and to make matters worse, we have a media that turns a tidy profit off of every bit of it, and a social medial that is in the hands of foreigners who certainly DO NOT have the best interest of our nation at heart.

What can we do?

THINK.

When seeing something online that is provocative, avoid knee jerk reactions.

Consider all sides of a debate.

Do a quick search online before reposting something on social media to ensure its accuracy.

And do not, under any circumstances EVER trust a politician, regardless of the letter they put after their name. Always FACT CHECK THE HELL OUT OF EVERYTHING THEY SAY!

Vote INDEPENDENT.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I will never fully understand the Ivermectin/HCQ craze. I got a bit excited over HCQ when the idea was first floated (although the scientific mechanisms of how it worked were not very clear, first red flag), but after subsequent trials showed it to be more or less unhelpful, I’ve been a bit more cautious.

Additionally - if you are opposed to the vaccine, or any of the treatments that have proven to work (some antiviral drugs, monoclonal antibodies), why pump more of a different “chemical” into your body? I haven’t bothered to look at the safety profile of Ivermectin, but at this point I am vaxxed up, have not yet caught covid (just got my latest negative test back), and am in “bunker mode”. If I get covid, I’m going to want something that the scientific community has had a consensus over.

What I am for - local researchers being given the chance to draft *ethical* trials on these different substances - and see how they play out.