I'm glad I stayed up late...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

I'm glad I stayed up late...

Post by crfriend »

I ought to be in bed by now, but I've been hoping for a 'phone call from down south that sadly hasn't come (see an adjacent thread on that matter).

But, I am entirely amazed by and overjoyed because ABBA are recording once again! The tunes linked on that page are astonishing; it's like they'd never been away, and still getting more powerful with time.

All the while worried about what's happening several hundred miles away from me... And written with tears running down my cheeks!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I'm glad I stayed up late...

Post by Freedomforall »

Sending positive vubes . Hang in there.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I won't pry (I haven't seen an adjacent thread you speak of that fits this context)

Whatever is on your mind, I hope it works out to your satisfaction...

In the mean time, I will leave you with a link to one of my favorite Pandora stations named "Old Magick"

https://www.pandora.com/station/4648550861970819903

The station was originally "seeded" with ABBA, and as Pandora tends to do, has peppered with other favorites from that genre.

I called the feed "Old Magick" after an old favorite radio station that used to play on 104.9 out of Roanoke Virginia in the late 1990's and early 2000's. It holds a fond place in my heart as that's when Jenn adn I first started seeing each other. I'd load up my old '91 Subaru with my dog Wendy, and make the trip from Bedford Virginia down U.S. 29 through Danville and into Winston Salem North Carolina, grabbing the I40 east to Raleigh-Durham, and hanging U.S. 70 south to Goldsboro where she lived. I would listen until the signal finally gave out somewhere in North Carolina (they had a sister frequency on 102.7 out of Lynchburg.

The name of the station was "104.9, 102.7 MAGIC FM, Roanoke/Lynchburg Virginia" hence what I named my Pandora station...

Though the music was already practically "oldies", I still enjoyed it nevertheless...

Ahh to be 21 years old again. I miss my dog, I'd love to sit in the driver seat of that old Subaru again, complete with it's tape cassette player and check engine light... but I've still got Jenn. Hitting a major metropolitan "beltway" for the first time. I still remember the lump in my throat when I rounded a corner and was greeted with five lanes of headlights to the left and five lanes of tail lights dead ahead, moving 70 miles per hour... I had barely traveled beyond the Bedford County line by that time... green as hell.
jennifer4.jpg
jennifer_1158_wildmanrd.gif
subaru.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 amI won't pry (I haven't seen an adjacent thread you speak of that fits this context)

Whatever is on your mind, I hope it works out to your satisfaction...
It's "complex". Last night was rough. I still haven't heard from my lady-friend (who I seem to be quietly "falling for") down south, and hearing a couple of new ABBA songs last night put me into a bit of a spin.

On the former, I'd figured I'd outgrown that sort of silliness, but I guess not; on the latter, I was pretty much sure that the group's voice would forever more be stilled. So I was confused and worried on (1), and absolutely ecstatic on (2), which set the emotions up for a roller-coaster ride.

Not prying at all. I'm as human as the next man, and I'm not afraid of my emotions.

And still confused/worried (but mostly worried) on (1) and ecstatic about (2).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 pm On the former, I'd figured I'd outgrown that sort of silliness,
Carl
"Growing old is mandatory but growing up is voluntary".
On the ABBA front, another quote that I recall is "No matter how much you dissect an Abba track, the only way to reassemble it is their way", so true.
crfriend wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:38 pm I'm as human as the next man, and I'm not afraid of my emotions.
Good for you and everyone would a hell of a lot better off if more men adopted the same attitude,
Steve.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Carl,

Purely on the ABBA front, I’m with you. I’ve already ordered the new album on both CD and vinyl. The two new singles are excellent. I’m also seeing the ABBA avatars plus live band next July.

Exciting times!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I'll be looking to get the new record on vinyl. It's the only medium to really appreciate music. Not that my hearing is good enough to appreciate the tonal differences any more. I've still got a couple of decks but I could do with getting some better speakers now. I still get some of my LP's out when I feel nostalgic. Lindisfarne is a favourite. The Carpenters, Mamas and the Papas, The Who among others as well as ABBA. Good music never dies even if it may not always be in fashion.

Anyway, I hope you get good news soon. Can you not contact her? Email, phone, whatsapp? Where there's a will there's a way.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:35 pmAnyway, I hope you get good news soon. Can you not contact her? Email, phone, whatsapp? Where there's a will there's a way.
It arrived just a few minutes ago in the form of an SMS. I'll take that -- even if it was little more than a ping. She reports being "short of wind", and in my experience to drive great pipes it takes wind. I have not reported that this sentimental old fart is overtly worried. Somehow that just doesn't seem proper in TXT FMT.

That said, I feel vastly better!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

ABBA was a very formative experience for me when they hit the big time on the Eurovision song contest. I'm keen to see what this digital performance will be like. Hope they can show it places other than London.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl, in a stressful situation such as you are going through I would trawl the internet for some little adage, cartoon, meme, poem, saying or some such that conveys my feeling or thought that I could send as a message that would hopefully be interpreted correctly. If not it should engender enough interest to elicit a response for clarification. Failure to find anything I would write my own poem. Not saying it would work for you but it's worth a try. Of course you may need to sort your own feelings out to determine what it is that you REALLY want to say. Good luck and again I hope for the outcome that is in your heart.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:30 pmCarl, in a stressful situation such as you are going through I would trawl the internet for some little adage, cartoon, meme, poem, saying or some such that conveys my feeling or thought that I could send as a message that would hopefully be interpreted correctly.
This is evolving faster than I'd anticipated and last night she threw the gauntlet down about firming up a visit to Savannah. I called her on that one last night with an SMS of, "Touche. I'll look at it in the morning." And now I have train tickets to cart my sorry arse down south. (And no response to an SMS to the effect of, "Now look what you've made me do!")

Thus, I was sitting in my local this afternoon with the barkeep trying to "wake me up" with loud noises, until I informed her that I was (1) wide awake (2) in a pensive mood and (3) absolutely terrified about the prospects of "success". If this silly thing blossoms into a full-blown romance, an asteroid-strike would look tame.

The US Open Tennis final was on the telly opposite me, and the young woman from the UK had one side of her blue skirt with red insets (I believe it was Moon that commented on that earlier) tucked up into the shorts. I asked the other barkeep, "If I ever manage to tuck my shirt up into my shorts, please find something stout and beat some sense into me!" There was laughter to be had, which was good.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's great, Carl. At least you have moved into a different but better frame of mind. Going into a new relationship is always a nervy affair but try and display the quiet confidence that you show when wearing your skirts. Hell, I started to give out advice but then the thought hit me that you're not too far behind me in the numbers game, your social scene is different and you probably have more social experience than me. So I'll not. As a fellow skirter and, hopefully a friend, I'll wish you all the best over the next few days. Take care and, tactfully, keep us informed. I ( we ) think a lot of you even though we've never met. Baby steps, baby steps or dive deep, whatever.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

crfriend wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:51 pm The US Open Tennis final was on the telly opposite me, and the young woman from the UK had one side of her blue skirt with red insets (I believe it was Moon that commented on that earlier) tucked up into the shorts. I asked the other barkeep, "If I ever manage to tuck my shirt up into my shorts, please find something stout and beat some sense into me!" There was laughter to be had, which was good.
The tennis player had a skirt. Did you say "shirt" or "skirt"?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:06 pmThe tennis player had a skirt. Did you say "shirt" or "skirt"?
Skirt, not shirt. I believe that auto-corrupt may have gotten in the way.

I wear shirts and skirts, and the shirts are almost always tucked in; the skirts are not.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pmAs a fellow skirter and, hopefully a friend, I'll wish you all the best over the next few days.
This will unfold over the course of weeks and months, so there's no rush. My departure to Savannah is not to happen until Christmas day, and even then there may be pitfalls. We shall see what happens.
Take care and, tactfully, keep us informed. I ( we ) think a lot of you even though we've never met. Baby steps, baby steps or dive deep, whatever.
I'll modulate response according to stimulus. I'm pretty good at that albeit being very, very badly out of practise. I also reserve the option to apply emergency braking if things look like they're going to cascade out of control.

In this I am trying to channel the sentiment so beautifully expressed by Suzanne Ciani's exquisite composition, The Velocity of Love where the keynote is, "...slowly, slowly... at the velocity of love" (and also ABBA's wonderful Andante, Andante). I'd like to think I'm not a fool or a madman.