Lifestyle Asia: Who says dresses are just for women?

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Lifestyle Asia: Who says dresses are just for women?

Post by Coder »

Looks to be a real article (not repurposed from a news feed?):

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/hk/style/ ... rine-hahn/
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lifestyle Asia: Who says dresses are just for women?

Post by Sinned »

That style, basically a shirt dress, could be worn by any man. It's really just an over-long shirt so shouldn't offend anyone. I would wear one in a heartbeat with a different pattern or a block colour. Not fond of the yellow tartan pattern. Not looked at the price but I suspect I wouldn't like that either. The article was good.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Actually. that shirt dress is not far removed from the one I was wearing in Glasgow last Saturday.
Mine is in a red and black buffalo check.
Good to be on trend.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Steve, you are definitely on trend. It's most of the rest of the male population that aren't!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

Great garment - and about time we had such an option for guys.

The $64,000 question is whether we will be seeing this in our local stores? Or is this just for Vogue and a handful of top-end designer outlets?
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:35 pm Actually. that shirt dress is not far removed from the one I was wearing in Glasgow last Saturday.
Mine is in a red and black buffalo check.
Good to be on trend.
Steve.
I have one that I think is similar. Haven't worn it out much though.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Shirt-dresses are absolutely perfect for guys. I have three, of varying lengths, all bespoke. Two are "sister dresses" (as in sister ships) in that the bodice design is identical in each but the skirt length is about as vast as possible (one's a mini-dress and the other ankle-length). All are wonderful and all get plenty of mileage out and about in the wild.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Here's the retailers website:

https://hesherworld.com/products/uni-sex-plaid-dress

$150 USD - expensive... but not overpriced compared to to women's modern designer options. I was expecting something in the $500-700 range.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Coder wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:56 am$150 USD - expensive... but not overpriced compared to to women's modern designer options. I was expecting something in the $500-700 range.
Indeed. I simply didn't like the design because of its simplistic nature and gaudy colour-scheme. I also like to have a belt/sash at the waist to provide some definition, although for some guys that could be problematic.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

crfriend wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:08 am Indeed. I simply didn't like the design because of its simplistic nature and gaudy colour-scheme. I also like to have a belt/sash at the waist to provide some definition, although for some guys that could be problematic.
I just don't like it, when I see it all I can think of is "Zippy the Pinhead":

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zippy_the_Pinhead
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Yawn. After several decades of taking the bait promising that "this is the next big trend for men", I have learnt that what rich celebrities do almost never translates into what I can find at the local department store or see on the street in my hometown.

When Wal-Mart or TJ Maxx offers skirts and dresses in the men's department (or eliminates "men" and "women" from their product targeting entirely, and television adverts in mainstream markets feature men in skirts and/or dresses I'll believe it's a real trend. Until then, it's just a cry for attention by people shielded from the consequences of their actions.
Ralph!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Ralph wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:46 am Yawn. After several decades of taking the bait promising that "this is the next big trend for men", I have learnt that what rich celebrities do almost never translates into what I can find at the local department store or see on the street in my hometown.
There is Ralph, you just have to cross the great divide. The similar examples that I own are UK female size 16-18 and possibly the most comfortable garments I own. With a little thought it is also very easy to dress them up or down as required.
As Carl said, shirt dresses do make almost perfect menswear.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Ralph wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:46 am Yawn. After several decades of taking the bait promising that "this is the next big trend for men", I have learnt that what rich celebrities do almost never translates into what I can find at the local department store or see on the street in my hometown.

When Wal-Mart or TJ Maxx offers skirts and dresses in the men's department (or eliminates "men" and "women" from their product targeting entirely, and television adverts in mainstream markets feature men in skirts and/or dresses I'll believe it's a real trend. Until then, it's just a cry for attention by people shielded from the consequences of their actions.
+1 MIS is not happening, but GenX are running with "Genderfluid" at the moment. Apart from ultra skinny jeans as acceptable menswear, I have only seen about 4 or so men wearing an obvious skirt (and not a kilt). People dress anyhow after 16 months of lockdowns, but even amongst women skkrt wearing seems to be on the decline :blue:

I think in Continental Europe it's slightly more open minded, but the instagrammers and bloggers are defining their own fashion. Yung Thug certainly is out there with his looks, and Reddit is awash with men in skirts or tights. But still hardly an impact amongst billions on the earth...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:37 pmThere is Ralph, you just have to cross the great divide. The similar examples that I own are UK female size 16-18 and possibly the most comfortable garments I own. With a little thought it is also very easy to dress them up or down as required.
Well yes, of course we can (and do) wear whatever we jolly well like - I, too, have a number of delightful items that are far more comfortable than trousers and the standard "uniform" of men's cotton button-down shirts. My point is that the world, from manufacturing to marketing to placement in stores to the consumer, all consider them "women's wear". They are labeled as such, advertised as such, and placed in the women's department for sale to women.

The major cultural shift I dearly want to see - and don't expect to in this life - is when we see skirts and dresses advertised specifically to men. Not just on the runways at designer showcases or on celebrities who seek to get attention through their nonconformist behaviour, but on prime time television adverts, right there between hamburgers and cars. Stores that just have functional divisions - dresses, skirts, trousers, formal, workwear - without insisting which sex is expected to wear which items. Imagine a world of men and women shopping side-by-side on the same shelves for the same garments!

That being said, there is an obvious functional need for clothing designed for women and that's in the upper balcony. In practical terms my wife and I couldn't buy the same shirt, or dress, even if we were the same size around the middle because she's shaped like a lady and I'm shaped like a gorilla. So... we have that working against us.
Ralph!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

What gets me is that the change, at the outset, could be done for a fantastically minimal outlay. A minor change in labelling from say, size 16 to 36" waist, allocation of a rack or two in the men's section and a sign or two. The production lines are all there, distribution is all there and retail is all there. The potential for an increase in sales and revenue is there. So what is there to stop them? I really wonder.