Another Cornish skirtman

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
cornish63

Another Cornish skirtman

Post by cornish63 »

Nick here, late 50's North Cornwall area.
Started with my 1st "gateway skirt" (utility kilt) 8 weeks ago. took it out for a drive the 1st time to get my 2nd covid vacc early June, and by the time of this post I'm on my 3rd utility kilt (blue, khaki and brown) and 5 skirts of varying lengths. Longest is just below knee, shortest is about 3" above. I've no ambition to go further into the female attire universe than this, as I'm wearing purely for comfort.
I wore my first kilt out for the second time to a restaurant with my wife. I thought her eyebrows were going to drop off the back of her head she raised them so high! She then proceeded to try and style me like a woman wearing a skirt, including wearing tights instead of bare-legged, and smart shoes instead of my trainers. I had to inform her of the kilt-wearing aesthetic, and she has calmed down about the styling thing since.
The next time we went out, we were dining with a married couple my wife knows, quite arty people, and very friendly. I found out later that the husband went out the next day and ordered a kilt for himself, and after having seen him in it, a neighbour of theirs has also ordered one.
I have been out kilted multiple times to the local towns, to supermarkets, garden centres and cafes. No obvious reactions, but I don't particularly look for them.
I found that the only downside with utility kilts is how creased they get as soon as you sit anywhere, and how heavy! The logical answer? get some thinner skirts that don't crease, for wearing around the house, of course. I crossed the aisles, on eBay at least.
1st one arrived, and I met my wife as she came home from work already wearing it: a knee-length copped coloured cord A-line. The eyebrows went pretty high then as well, and she spent a good chunk of the evening on the phone telling her friends. I have made it clear to her that there's zero chance of my wearing full-on femme clothing, wanting to be a drag-queen or transitioning. I'm a full-on hetero male, and going to stay that way, She knows I appreciate her when she wears a skirt, as she has great legs. I have been skirted around the house pretty much full-time since. The first couple of times she noticed a new skirt she commented, particularly the knee-lenth denim one, but sh has stopped commenting, and life has settled into a routine. I'm going to stick with skirts indoors and kilts outdoors for now, but I'm not ruling out wearing skirts in public. Small steps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Another Cornish skirtman

Post by crfriend »

I'd say that works well. Welcome aboard!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Welcome, cornish63. I'm another comfort rather than femininity skirt wearer over in Illinois, USA. I'll go for long skirts in cold weather rather than wear tights.
cornish63

Post by cornish63 »

Been wearing tights for more than 10 years, most of the time with shorts, so they are my standard go-to clothes. I have to say though that having gone bare-legged (but not bare anything else) under my kilts a couple of times, the sense of freedom is dramatic, and why I'm such a massive convert to the MUG. I wear support tights on a day-to day basis to help with some issues with ankle swelling, and when wearing shorts because I have some scarring and unsightly pigmentation visible. The first day I wore the kilt out, I was much more self-conscious about my bare legs then the kilt!
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Welcome Cornish Skirtman from central Illinois. Enjoy your skirts and kilts.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Welcome, cornish63, from Surrey. I'd say that your wife's efforts towards styling you, and then bragging about you to to her friends, are unmistakable signs of approval. There are quite a few Café patrons who would envy that level of acceptance and support.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Hi and welcome to the cafe, I live up in the land of Scottishness and have been surprised that if I wander around Glasgow in a traditional kilt people comment or ask occasional questions, mostly about the type of tartan. I have also wandered around Glasgow wearing a lightweight hiking el-kommando kilt- no comments, as well as in a couple of my denim cargo skirts, one knee length and one ankle length, hardly any comments, just a couple of really positive comments about the long one. Denim skirts seem to be almost invisible, that suits me! Much as I envy women in soft flowy skirts, I can't talk myself into wearing one in public, being a bit of a wookie if I wore anything I would consider femme, I would feel incredibly self-conscious, picturing myself looking like King Kong in a tutu!
Yep, kilts or denim are low stress if you are self conscious, the more you indulge in skirtery the easier it gets, well, up to a point for me! if there were other like minded folk around me or a supportive wife I suppose, it would be much easier to go for something even more comfortable, but there isn't.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
cornish63

Post by cornish63 »

@Geron, I'm not sure how much my wife was "bragging" about me, she has considered some of my previous outfits prior to kilts/skirts unusual, but she won't normally comment unless she thinks I will look spectacularly odd when out. I did hear some giggling when she was talking to her best friend, but as that friend is the one that seemed to quite like the look of me in the kilt, and whose husband has been known to wear Vivian Westwood trousers, she's probably pretty open-minded.
@B&B: I'm happy to stick with a plain utilikilt for now, and the skirts I have bought have been plain colours, nothing too showy. Even though my wife is currently not saying much about my wearing, I don't want to push too far, and risk a backlash. I've been reading a lot on here the last few weeks, and have followed "The saga of Sinned and his MOH" closely. Small steps.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Ah, infamy at last .... :roll:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Jim wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:10 pm Welcome, cornish63. I'm another comfort rather than femininity skirt wearer over in Illinois, USA. I'll go for long skirts in cold weather rather than wear tights.
I'll second that, me and Jim must be long lost twins, or brothers with a different mother.
We are almost Identical except age and location. See ---->
Welcome, Cornish63 I'm another JIM, I'm another comfort rather than femininity skirt wearer over in INDIANA, USA. I'll go for KILTS or long skirts in cold weather rather than wear tights.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by cornish63 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 am

Nick here, late 50's North Cornwall area.
Started with my 1st "gateway skirt" (utility kilt) 8 weeks ago. took it out for a drive the 1st time to get my 2nd covid vacc early June, and by the time of this post I'm on my 3rd utility kilt (blue, khaki and brown) and 5 skirts of varying lengths. Longest is just below knee, shortest is about 3" above. I've no ambition to go further into the female attire universe than this, as I'm wearing purely for comfort.
I have been skirted around the house pretty much full-time since. The first couple of times she noticed a new skirt she commented, particularly the knee-lenth denim one, but sh has stopped commenting, and life has settled into a routine. I'm going to stick with skirts indoors and kilts outdoors for now, but I'm not ruling out wearing skirts in public. Small steps.
Hola Nick;

Welcome aboard. You speak of small steps, but you've already made a couple of huge ones, congratulations.

Other's have echoed wearing their skirts for comfort, not femininity --which is where I started as well, and comfort is still the focus but my small steps have led to wanting to shake up the status quo a bit; move people out of non-sensical conformity; and to at times enjoy the textures, colors, styles and 'yes' if you wish to call those thing feminine, femininity at times -- it is kind of fun. So, weather the small steps are for you, or your wife (and she may need them too) enjoy the journey.

As we say in Ticolandia, Pura Vida
cornish63

Post by cornish63 »

Thanks to all for your kind welcome. I'll try and post experiences when I can, obey the forum rules and try to avoid contentious issues like politics and covid. From what I have read over the last few weeks, this forum is a very inclusive and genial place. I look forward to visiting regularly.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome. As far as rules on contentious subjects are concerned they are there for a reason. But we have had civilised discussions around them but also flamed ones where a moderator has had to step in. As long as we are all cool about it then all is well. Enjoy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Welcome and congratulations on achieving a level of wifely acceptance that many of us long for :shock: . Hopefully you'll get to enjoy your new-found freedom for many years to come.