Earthbound Trading Unisex Dress

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Earthbound Trading Unisex Dress

Post by Freedomforall »

Earthbound Trading is now marketing a unisex dress!

https://www.earthboundtrading.com/ivy-p ... scle-dress
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Earthbound Trading Unisex Dress

Post by r.m.anderson »

What is with this - the man must wear de pants all the time even while dressed/skirted ?
Unseen under gear fine but why the abomination of pants !

And ONE-COLOR does not suit everyone - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

RM Anderson has the right pf it on this subject.
What we really have here appears to me like a longer than average tee shirt or casual top.
As to value that is difficult to gauge from the picture but likely be able to find a comparable dress at a lower price without the unisex label. It even says in the spec that it is a standard female design and sizing.
Steve.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

All very true comments, but at least they are attempting to market something towards men that is not currently mainstream.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Freedomforall wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:36 pm All very true comments, but at least they are attempting to market something towards men that is not currently mainstream.
I'd agree that I'd give them some credit for trying a new angle but I'd question the motivation.
My cynical side say that it is just a sales ploy. Nothing to do with expanding men's fashion choices but a cost effective way of potentially doubling sales.
I guess I may just be being too hard on them and it would be good to think that the reaction from their customers may be beneficial and perhaps lead to more innovations along similar lines.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:40 am
I'd agree that I'd give them some credit for trying a new angle but I'd question the motivation.
My cynical side say that it is just a sales ploy. Nothing to do with expanding men's fashion choices but a cost effective way of potentially doubling sales.
I guess I may just be being too hard on them and it would be good to think that the reaction from their customers may be beneficial and perhaps lead to more innovations along similar lines.
When someone is in business they are trying to sell things. "Just a sales ploy" is what descriptions of products always are. If you are in a capitalist society (and probably others), making money is a usual motivation. If you knock this, you are quite a radical--not that there's anything wrong with that.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

With the pants it looks like a long tank too, that’s all. Without the pants… might be too short for most guys? It feels like it would need to be longer for your average male who is unaccustomed to wearing a skirt or dress and the hazards a shorter length present. Also, at least for me I’d feel vulnerable with such a thin basic covering - I’m used to heavier thicker fabrics.

Also… if you look at a lot of the mainstream skirted males, pants are not all that uncommon. I feel like that’s OK if it is what it takes for skirts to be fully accepted by them. Just because they wear pants doesn’t mean we have to - and eventually they’ll ditch the pants because they are superfluous.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Nothing particularly great, style wise, but, at least it's affordable.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Let's see 'em make a flat chested ball gown... to the floor, and call it unisex.

That'll impress me.

And I'm still on the hunt for a proper swimdress that fits my upper half... they can even call it "womens" if they want.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Coder wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 am With the pants it looks like a long tank too, that’s all. Without the pants… might be too short for most guys? It feels like it would need to be longer for your average male who is unaccustomed to wearing a skirt or dress and the hazards a shorter length present. Also, at least for me I’d feel vulnerable with such a thin basic covering - I’m used to heavier thicker fabrics.

Also… if you look at a lot of the mainstream skirted males, pants are not all that uncommon. I feel like that’s OK if it is what it takes for skirts to be fully accepted by them. Just because they wear pants doesn’t mean we have to - and eventually they’ll ditch the pants because they are superfluous.
I wouldn't purchase something that wasn't at least knee length. And even if were at least that long, I wouldn't purchase because of possible exposure due to side slits.

At least the garment has pockets.

On the other hand, if they had a knee length version, with no slits, I would regard it as promising.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Jim wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 am When someone is in business they are trying to sell things.
Hi Jim
That is the point I was making here and have made elsewhere.
We shall only see a radical change in the menswear offer when the retailers sense a profit to be made from the demand.
They do not exist to assist our cause but perhaps, in the future we will see the mutual benefit that I also talk about.
in reality, our purchases from the women's ranges actually stifles initiatives like this dress.
The shop doesn't rightly need to have a care about the end user is just so long as the cash is coming in.
Some men may already be wearing this dress. The question is how many more are likely to because of how it has been labelled
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Grok wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:38 pm
Coder wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:19 am With the pants it looks like a long tank too, that’s all. Without the pants… might be too short for most guys? It feels like it would need to be longer for your average male who is unaccustomed to wearing a skirt or dress and the hazards a shorter length present. Also, at least for me I’d feel vulnerable with such a thin basic covering - I’m used to heavier thicker fabrics.

I wouldn't purchase something that wasn't at least knee length. And even if were at least that long, I wouldn't purchase because of possible exposure due to side slits.

At least the garment has pockets.

On the other hand, if they had a knee length version, with no slits, I would regard it as promising.
My sentiments exactly!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

A few years ago Top Man marketed sarongs directly at men in the UK. They sold out. Apart from Beckham who was probably wearing something a bit more upmarket there were no reports of men in sarongs. I suspect most were worn at home. A few more years ago, a newspaper ran a story about the new skirt suit for men as business wear. They were inundated with inquiries about where to buy them. The story was an April Fool. It is clear that marketing skirted garments to men works - they can sell them but we are still seeing very few men actually wearing them. I am convinced there is a way through this barrier - it is really in the interests of the fashion industry to find it. I was in a large town on a very hot day on Thursday. Women in skirts and dresses looked SO much more comfortable and what surprised me was how many women were in trousers. But their trousers were loose and linen - even women's trousers are more varied and can be more comfortable than men's trousers! I can't remember when I last saw linen trousers for men on sale.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

For me, last time to see a men marketed linnen trouser in a shop is 2019, before to be asked to stop doing any non-essential shopping. I guess if I would try to do some shopping now I would find several not too hardly.

Coming back to initial topic, my feeling was indeed to see a long loose shirt more than a dress, or some sort of ancien clothing. That can be caused by the man wearing a trouser.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have noticed that with the hot weather the number of dresses and skirts( mostly light material ) has suddenly mushroomed, much more than shorts. And some of the dresses/shorts are mouth-wateringly short!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.