Another Skirted Score

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Another Skirted Score

Post by r.m.anderson »

And yet again another score for wearing de skirt - - -

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... d=msedgntp
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Another Skirted Score

Post by Stu »

The acvtual Daily Mail story has some interesting and mostly positive comments:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... l#comments
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Not sure if one of the members here wrote this, but some good points:
The problem is that Shane needs to now consider how he and the others will deal with working at companies where the men are required to wear exactly the same- suit shirt tie, while the women have no dress code at all. To those who think this would never happen, I worked for 40 years in offices who had this arrangement and they were all in government offices. Now which sex is discriminated against?
Basically, yeah, good question!
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

It wasn't me (I haven't "worked for 40 years in offices who had this arrangement"), but I quite agree with the sentiment.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Looked at the comments posted at the link. Have to disagree with Spike 51-no, the boy does not look ridiculous. I have occasionally looked at the uniform skirts worn by girls, and thought that something similar would look good on boys.
cessna152towser
Member Extraordinaire

Post by cessna152towser »

Looking very smart.
I would have chosen a slightly longer dark coloured skirt but I suppose that was his only available choice.
Please view my photos of kilts and skirts, old trains, vintage buses and classic aircraft on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cessna152towser/
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

cessna152towser wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:36 pmLooking very smart.
I would have chosen a slightly longer dark coloured skirt but I suppose that was his only available choice.
Indeed. No deltas on the look.

Sometimes one needs to work with the tools one has at hand at the moment, and it seems this one went well.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The only option that he took was to wear his sister's school uniform skirt - which was school dress code approved !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

"Looking very smart." Yes, and the reason for wearing it was sensible. This is good publicity for MIS. :D
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

On the one hand it looks like good publicity for MIS but it isn't really. The message seems to be that if you wear a skirt to school or work you will end up in the newspapers. I look forward to the day when a man in a skirt is not news, it is just a normal day.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

rivegauche wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:00 am ... I look forward to the day when a man in a skirt is not news, it is just a normal day.
...but how will you know it has arrived if it is not in the news?
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A protest is not often done at this level with the press in mind. Often the press get involved after the protest has started. Yes, he had to work with what garments were available and he does look good in it. As for a boost for MIS, well, yes and no. It is a protest which is not a pro but he does look good which is. Likely after the end of term and the rules are changed he will go back to trousers.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I agree with Sinned on the point that this is a one-off of which we have seen a few in the past and trousered status quo will resume.
However, at the risk of becoming repetitive, there is no statutory right in current UK legislation for a man to wear a skirt at work as a male. Where a dress code does exist it will apply to both genders but with potentially different interpretations allowed within the rules.
This is also quite separate from individual employer policy so young Shane and his peers may or may not have a choice in what thay wear at work in the future.
Steve.

Just another thought, does it actually matter or is it even relevant that the skirt looks good on him?
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:49 am I agree with Sinned on the point that this is a one-off of which we have seen a few in the past and trousered status quo will resume.
However, at the risk of becoming repetitive, there is no statutory right in current UK legislation for a man to wear a skirt at work as a male. Where a dress code does exist it will apply to both genders but with potentially different interpretations allowed within the rules.
This is also quite separate from individual employer policy so young Shane and his peers may or may not have a choice in what thay wear at work in the future.
Steve.

Just another thought, does it actually matter or is it even relevant that the skirt looks good on him?
As long as you let HR know, there's rarely an issue at work. Knee length skirts in dark colours has not been an issue, so long as you keep working just as well as before, and don't make it a distraction. Pencil skirts and tights / stockings are fine, with reasonable shoes, like the wardrobe Alistair has when he posted here (Skirtyscot?).

Some dresscodes may insist on trousers, ie factories / food processing / chemicals handling, but most office / admin jobs should be fine if you don't make a scene...
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:49 pm Not sure if one of the members here wrote this, but some good points:
The problem is that Shane needs to now consider how he and the others will deal with working at companies where the men are required to wear exactly the same- suit shirt tie, while the women have no dress code at all. To those who think this would never happen, I worked for 40 years in offices who had this arrangement and they were all in government offices. Now which sex is discriminated against?
Basically, yeah, good question!
I noticed a lot of the comments seemed to be regarding his future employment issues. Funny, I've managed to remain gainfully employed for the last six years with my employers knowing full well I'm as queer as a three dollar bill, and I've still got a job! :lol:

And I ain't the only one! There's fruit-balls everywhere around here, and as long as they can pass a drug test, they can work. It does make me wonder why over there, they apparently have anti-discrimination laws for this kind of thing, buy apparently they're not enforced?

Must be some high employment standards over yonder. :wink:

But seriously though, I listened to a VERY interesting lecture the other day regarding, among other subjects, children and "blind obedience" to authority. It may surprise you this lecture was recorded in the 1950s. I'll post it later on a fresh thread... watch for it.

Judging from the movies and stories I've read over the years, schools across the U.K. always seemed to have an obsession with strict authority. Only private, uppity schools around here would even bother with uniforms anyway.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.