Pleated Midi Skirt Trend

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Pleated Midi Skirt Trend

Post by nzfreestyler »

There has (and still is) a trend for midi skirts - certainly down here there is. I just wanted to say that these skirts with a more elastic type of waist can suit different hip shapes and waistlines nicely - and would present an option that is easily wearable for everybody.

Additionally I believe the knee length skirt is the most universally flattering length and suits all body types more so than shorter or longer hemlines do.

I was looking at how one woman styled a single maxi skirt and it appeared just how versatile a pleated midi skirt would be.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by nzfreestyler on Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Pleated Maxi Skirt Trend

Post by crfriend »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:06 amThere has (and still is) a trend for maxi skirts - certainly down here there is. I just wanted to say that these skirts with a more elastic type of waist can suit different hip shapes and waistlines nicely - and would present an option that is easily wearable for everybody.
Those aren't maxis, those are midis. Maxis fall to the ankle or even the floor.

That said, the midi can work very, very well on many a frame and should not be discounted as an option. Beware, though, they can look somewhat dowdy on some individuals so some experimentation is required.

Midis tend to be my personal go-to length, and I can attest to the versatility and forgiveness of the elastic waist. However, I adore my maxis, and have a lot of fun with shorter looks as well. It's important to mix things up from time to time.

Hilariously, in the heat of a summer a couple of years ago I was sent home to change out of a slightly above-the-knee skirt which somebody in the office griped about. I wear that as a badge of honour. Even at my age I look better than some.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pleated Midi Skirt Trend

Post by nzfreestyler »

crfriend wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:21 am Those aren't maxis, those are midis. Maxis fall to the ankle or even the floor.
oops - good call - quite right. Duh.

I don't wear much below my mid thigh - apart from some pencil skirts/dresses - but the midi looks quite neat and I am going to get myself a leather pleated midi I think - in plum or a black tone.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Never mind that, I want to know where she got that skirt! I love pleats, and I love maxi (but I'll settle for midi in this case, because:pleats)
Ralph!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I happen to enjoy midiskirts, especially the patterned variety which I pair with blouses or camisoles during spring and summer. In fall and winter, they work well with knee boots. A versatile garment in my opinion.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In reply to Ralph the pleated skirt is certainly on trend and there are lots on the market.
I have one but just a bit undecided on how much it suits me but hey ho.
I would agree that it is highly versatile and easily dressed up or down to suit your own tastes.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not for me - don't like the look. Maxis or minis are my thing. Dowdy is my thought on these. Still it takes all sorts ...
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Sinned wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:29 pm Not for me - don't like the look. Dowdy is my thought on these. Still it takes all sorts ...
I've found that the midi look has grown on me - but that is what I really like about the variety of skirt styles....
In fact most clothing from the opposite aisle has o much more choice of shape/style/colour that there's something for everyone.

Possibly why some of us find it hard to put an outfit they like together - because there is too much to consider.... ?

Cheers
NZF
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I’m intrigued by midi skirts - and I’ve seen how they can be put together in a causal sort of way (tennis shoes or flat sandals, bare legs, and a t-shirt or plaid button up). Trouble is, I just can’t get used to so much fabric just flapping about. It feels somewhat like a costume. Maybe one day.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 pm I’m intrigued by midi skirts - and I’ve seen how they can be put together in a causal sort of way (tennis shoes or flat sandals, bare legs, and a t-shirt or plaid button up). Trouble is, I just can’t get used to so much fabric just flapping about. It feels somewhat like a costume. Maybe one day.
I have found a nice faux leather style for $74 NZD - that is lined too - and being made that way will be heavier weight so will flow but not be super floaty...that kind of thing might be ok for you? Perhaps try one on in store?

NZF
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

shopping for a pleated skirt - and I found this Victorias Secret pleated skirt. Wow - I like this even more.
Chambray shirt with a contrast white collar to coordinate the skirt. Perfect outfit. Metallic pumps are working well.

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:32 pm
Coder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 pm I’m intrigued by midi skirts - and I’ve seen how they can be put together in a causal sort of way (tennis shoes or flat sandals, bare legs, and a t-shirt or plaid button up). Trouble is, I just can’t get used to so much fabric just flapping about. It feels somewhat like a costume. Maybe one day.
I have found a nice faux leather style for $74 NZD - that is lined too - and being made that way will be heavier weight so will flow but not be super floaty...that kind of thing might be ok for you? Perhaps try one on in store?

NZF
I returned something exactly like this - faux leather pleated midi. I liked it... and it laid pretty flat (knife pleats). I just knew I wouldn’t wear it. I tried a few different tops and shoe combinations - but really it was the volume of skirt that got to me. Maybe if I wore this length enough I’d get used to it, that’s probably what it comes down to.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Coder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:52 pm I returned something exactly like this - faux leather pleated midi. I liked it... and it laid pretty flat (knife pleats). I just knew I wouldn’t wear it. I tried a few different tops and shoe combinations - but really it was the volume of skirt that got to me. Maybe if I wore this length enough I’d get used to it, that’s probably what it comes down to.
how about a more straight or pencil skirt style - you might consider a wardrobe staple and get a leather timeless skirt in a straighter knee length cut. Meghan Markle is often sporting a leather pencil (not that I like her personally, but she has ok styling) - and she wears a Boss leather pencil skirt a lot - in many different colours. I have the same skirt but in black only (so I must be doing something right!) - but its an easy to wear style and there is no feeling of floatiness or volume in it.

here's the same skirt 2 ways
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

nzfreestyler wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:14 am
Coder wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:52 pm I returned something exactly like this - faux leather pleated midi. I liked it... and it laid pretty flat (knife pleats). I just knew I wouldn’t wear it. I tried a few different tops and shoe combinations - but really it was the volume of skirt that got to me. Maybe if I wore this length enough I’d get used to it, that’s probably what it comes down to.
how about a more straight or pencil skirt style - you might consider a wardrobe staple and get a leather timeless skirt in a straighter knee length cut. Meghan Markle is often sporting a leather pencil (not that I like her personally, but she has ok styling) - and she wears a Boss leather pencil skirt a lot - in many different colours. I have the same skirt but in black only (so I must be doing something right!) - but its an easy to wear style and there is no feeling of floatiness or volume in it.

here's the same skirt 2 ways
Oh those are fine - but not what I’d consider midi length.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

nz, you picked the wrong clothes horse for your example. Meme has opened her mouth a bit too much and what she has said has turned out to be half-truths at best and lies at worst. Thus she's not exactly flavour of the month or welcome around these parts. That aside, still not enamoured on the midi look. Now the white pleated above knee skirt I would wear anytime.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.