The passing of a British Icon

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

The passing of a British Icon

Post by Uncle Al »

The dialect of the announcer is a bit difficult to understand but,
UK PM Boris Johnson hails ‘extraordinary life’ of Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh
Prince Philip was about 2 months away from his 100th birthday.

**** Added this from BBC.com
Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

R. I. P. Prince Philip

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Uncle Al on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added additional new source
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: The passing of a British Icon

Post by crfriend »

Damn.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Not unexpected, really. I reckon that they released him from hospital so he could die "at home". That often happens and I now wished that that would have happened with my son. But at least we were with him when he passed. As for Prince Philip, a character, definitely not p.c. and the sort of person we'll not see the like of again. Devoted family patriarch. R.I.P.. Oh that one of your grandsons could have had half your stature.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Very sad to hear.

I was lucky enough to meet him and the Queen some years ago. He was striking, irreverent and very funny.

My father was chief engineer on the Royal Yacht Britannia. During one sea trial, and unbeknownst to my father, Prince Philip was on board. My father was playing one of his pranks, wandering about in oversized oilskins, puffing a pipe and sounding like Popeye.

He stumbled across two immaculately polished pairs of shoes in front of him. He looked up. One pair belonged to Prince Philip. The other belonged to an apoplectic Graham Strachan, a senior head of the famous John Brown shipbuilding firm.

Prince Philip? He just laughed, heartily. That probably saved my father from being fired!

Later on, he was inquisitive about the engineering aspects of the ship. My father remembers him fondly.

RIP, Prince Philip. What a life, well lived.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

One of his more famous quotes which he said in the year 2000, and is rather prescient especially concerning recent events is:

"People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans."
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:05 pm"People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have even been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans."
And which cost one monarch his crown.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Today the armed forces presented the salute with 41 shots. Afterwards the BBC worldservice had an interview with the Baroness Scotland, the Secretary General of the Common Wealth. She stated that the Queen and Duke had respected all living within the Common Wealth as equals, never discriminated anybody. She, imho, has put Meghan with that remark in her place, not in the last place as both have the same skin tone.