Test Positive for COVID-19

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Test Positive for COVID-19

Post by Coder »

I’m not concerned about the one in a million chance of having blood clotting or even dying from the vaccine - my bigger concerns are long-term unknown effects of the vaccine. A soldier going to war for our country is a far cry from being an unwilling guinea pig for the pharmaceutical companies.

The actual mechanism of the vaccine (rna snippets delivered via lipids) seems pretty safe. It’s what proteins are generated - what exposing your body to those proteins do over the long term. I could only find one long-term study of this technology being used on humans, and it was an anti-cancer vaccine. There was also a short phase I trial. Both of these were prior to the COVID vaccine trials, and used similar technology (but obviously not the proteins being generated for COVID).

As long as I can distance, stay home, and avoid people I’m going to wait it out. I’m willing to even stop going into work if they draw up rules surrounding vaccination - right now they can’t force it because it’s been approved under federal emergency use. If employment became an issue I’d break down and get the vaccine. I get tested weekly to ensure I don't catch it but present no symptoms.

I don't have a social life - I'm a loner for the most part - so this whole lockdown - while distressing at times - it's not that different from my normal boring life anyhow, and gives me further excuses to distance myself anyhow. Probably not the healthiest thing for me, but it is what it is.

Bottom line: I want to see it in use for a year before I take it. I'd love to go two years but I'm pretty sure I won't make it that long without getting the vaccine. There's nothing magical about two years - it just feels like a safe amount of time.

My bigger concern is when the majority of the population is vaccinated, and they are out and about - vaccinated, mostly immune to COVID, and are carrying it and spreading it. We don't yet have an answer for this - but studies are taking place: https://kvoa.com/news/top-stories/2021/ ... to-others/
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Well, this article is interesting: https://www.mdpi.com/1999-4915/13/2/270/htm - describes several trials that have taken place with this technology (pre-COVID).

I think this sentence drives home the interest in getting this technology to work:
Thus, once the pharmaceutical process for mRNA production is established, it can be used for any RNA sequence coding any protein.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing! But it wouldn't surprise me if we get a whole new class of treatments (besides vaccines) out of this.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 am A soldier going to war for our country is a far cry from being an unwilling guinea pig for the pharmaceutical companies.
Are you sure about that? Or course posting this does put me in a bit of checkmate with our discussion, as it proves that the U.S. government will experiment on its own people. Nevertheless, I think the covid vaccine will be fine... I imagine the worst that could happen is it simply doesn't prevent covid or its various mutations.

So it's just one more modern chemical in your body... it's probably no worse than the pollutants we've been pumping into the atmosphere for decades, the lead and fluoride in our drinking water... think you're safe on a private well? Think again, we've also polluted the aquifer... One thing I learned by my chat with the county health inspector is the number of older septic systems that basically dump crap (and laundry detergent) straight into the water supply is mind boggling... sure to treat it with chlorine (another chemical), then there is the stuff that leaches out if plastic, oils, asbestos in the walls and floors, GMO foods, car exhaust in rush our, fumes from the plant next door, roundup, pesticides, the list goes on and on..

Can't avoid it all... unless you're on the moon, but there's no air to breathe up there...
Coder wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 am I’m willing to even stop going into work if they draw up rules surrounding vaccination
I don't have that luxury. I work... or I am unemployed in the Appalachian coal fields... which is one lousy place to be unemployed.

Well, it's up to each of us to decide. I may regret the decision... it won't be my first regret in life and hopefully it won't be my last.

It seemed like the right thing to do, the risk was weighed. I'm not an expert on vaccine technology, but I know we've [humanity] have been doing vaccines for along time. I know this is not our first rodeo.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Besides... these politicians and their fat cat cronies won't kill all of us... you wipe out the wage earners and who's gonna pay all the taxes and do all the actual labor...?

The elite? I betcha Joe Biden and Donald Trump couldn't make a cheese sandwich without help! They probably couldn't boil water, having never actually turned a stove eye on... :lol:

Yeah sure thing.... :roll: :wink:

When I found out they were giving free shots to the illegal immigrants, I knew it was safe... those people are the foundation of our food supply... (hell, they're the foundation of pretty much everything!) without them, everyone else starves! :D I'm serious!

Now if they were prioritizing people who don't contribute then I'd be suspicious.

Think about it...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I’ve just read the article put up by UA.

It’s a lightweight piece without any substance. Just fear. Irrational fear.

Like the AZ drug, it has not yet been established how many people who died with blood clots, did so due to the clotting or for other reasons.

The odds are also overwhelmingly in favour of the vaccines.

If you don’t get mass vaccination, you end up like Brazil, where the virus has a lovely infected population which gives it a chance to mutate. That’s far more risky to people than a vaccine. Bolsanaro is a cretin of the highest order. One could say he’s a bit of a clot. 4,195 deaths in one day, plus mutant strains appearing. Well done, Brazil.

If you’re rational, you will get the vaccine.
If you believe in the common good, you will get the vaccine.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Ray wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:22 pm Of all the vaccines, only the AstraZeneca one is showing a link to blood clots. But that’s 1 in 200000. Dying from it? About 1 in a million. Risk of dying from Covid? About 1 in 200; greater if you are over 70 or have an existing condition. It’s less than 1 in 100 then.
That's kinda the point though. The chance that someone under 30 dies of Covid is on par with the chance of an adverse reaction to the AZ vaccine. If you're over 50 then it's a no-brainer. But for young people the equation is different. Especially when there are other vaccines which don't have this problem.
Ray wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:22 pm Oh, AstraZeneca are selling their vaccine at cost. Cost. No profit. So much for Big Pharma, eh?
I'd have preferred they charged a bit more and actually delivered on their promises. Currently they're just producing long lists of production problems.

As for the comments in this thread about unknown proteins in your body. My grandfather always pointed out that when you eat lettuce (or food in general) you also gets all sorts of stuff in your blood stream and we have no idea what most of it does. Despite it being actively irradiated in the past to induce mutations. We are at the end of billions of years of evolution, there is nothing we can make that nature hasn't already thrown at us in the past. These vaccine mechanisms are copied from viruses and bacteria that have been using this against us for a long time. I'm confident our bodies can handle it.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Rode

You may be confident that our bodies can handle it, but 2.7m have tried and failed so far - and the number is rising fast.

I agree that the young are less likely to die from Covid - but they are very good at spreading it. Vaccines reduce this.

Vaccines save lives. No point in trusting in nature. Polio would still be rampant if we did just that.

I’ll take science thanks.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I've just read the articles listed above and find them - interesting.
The 1st one is about the University Study. OK - That doesn't help me.
The 2nd one, here, is quite informative and has helped me to better
understand the process.

What bothers me the most is a proposal put forth (by none other than Bill Gates) of
injecting a "electronic bug' into a person to track vaccinated people. This, to me,
smells of 'Orwellian-ism' (Big Brother) tactics to control citizenry of a country or, for
that matter, of the world. What's next :?: Could this 'Bug' replace a person's passport
to travel anywhere in the world :?: Maybe I watch, and enjoy, SyFy to much...but
what once was Science Fiction, has now become Science Fact.
(Bionic limbs, cell phones, etc., are good examples of this, fiction to fact.)

I may get "The Shot" by the end of the year. Time will be the determining factor.
By then, I will have observed the effectiveness of "The Shot" to see if/how it will
benefit me and my bedridden wife. We are in the 'critical' age group of 65 years
and over.

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52847648

Try the BBC, UA. It’s more reliable than the sources you cite. See the link above.

It’s always worth checking statements or claims before accepting them. Snopes is also good for debunking conspiracy theories or outlandish allegations.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Ray wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:30 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52847648
Try the BBC, UA. It’s more reliable than the sources you cite. See the link above.
It’s always worth checking statements or claims before accepting them. Snopes is also good for debunking conspiracy theories or outlandish allegations.
Ray, As a former news reporter I must disagree with you that the BBC is more reliable than the rest of the news media. They just add their views to the what facts they like, just the rest of the news media.
As for Snopes they are so far left that it is not funny. I would not trust them any more than I trust Bill Butthead Gates or the rest of the main stream media.

Just my opinion..... Like it or don't....
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Early on in the pandemic I sent several corrections into the BBC - these weren’t even misunderstandings about the virus itself. They were major misunderstandings of a very simple quote they split up which wholly changed it’s meaning. This wasn’t “confusion” due to the new virus - it was sloppy journalism.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

If they want to chip you... you're getting chipped.

You think you stand a chance against the U.S. government...?

You gotta shotgun? They've got the big artillery.

Who's to say you're not already ingesting RFID chips in your prescription medications? Or your food? Or your arthritis shot?

This chip thing is just partisan fear mongering. I've got news for you, privacy died the movement they launched an artificial satellite into space.

They can already track your every move... they don't need you to submit to a jab.

You're on this website... you're already being tracked.

All this fear of the government? Rightly so... they have a lot of power... but if Uncle Sam wants you dead...

You dead! They have the power to compleltey erase your existence...

If I were you... I'd stay out of their way. The feds have a way of dealing with troublemakers... and they don't care who you are.
-Andrea
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

Ahhh, chipping. When I was in gradeschool I knew an adult who was big into conspiracy theories. The chip was a big thing on his mind, he had glossy pamphlets that showed a cross-section of it. It was quite beautiful, actually. I think I was briefly worried for about a year of my life that we were all going to be chipped.

Nowadays I freely give away my personal information to multinational conglomerates.

So, meh. It’s too late. We aren’t important enough. And it will just be used to sell us soap* (uhh, vague reference to an allan sherman song).
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 pm Ahhh, chipping. When I was in gradeschool I knew an adult who was big into conspiracy theories. The chip was a big thing on his mind, he had glossy pamphlets that showed a cross-section of it. It was quite beautiful, actually. I think I was briefly worried for about a year of my life that we were all going to be chipped.
Of course, I wouldn't knowingly submit to being chipped, but let's be honest, there are many ways to get the chip in me without my knowing, and I suppose if they pulled some "Revelation style - do this or you can't buy or sell anything" then that might be cause for concern, but thankfully there are just too many "Christians" who know enough of the bible to stand up to that... I recall stories of people freaking out in the 1930's because they thought the social security number was the mark of the beast.

More news for the religious, I suspect if the prophesy is true, most Christians and non-Christians will gladly accept "the mark". Most of them won't even realize what it is... the gullibility of those of Christian persuasion in this country was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt in 2020. I don't know if Satan is real or not, but if he is... he's got this one in the bag, modern America is very low hanging fruit. Y'all know what I'm talking about, I'm not going to keep reopening that wound....
Coder wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:37 pm Nowadays I freely give away my personal information to multinational conglomerates.

So, meh. It’s too late. We aren’t important enough. And it will just be used to sell us soap* (uhh, vague reference to an allan sherman song).
Yeah, that's the way I look at it. I don't worry about being tracked anymore. It is what it is. You can't hide from it. And that's another reason why I took the jab....

If they have noble reasons for administering the vaccine (what I suspect is the case), then I'm happy to receive one.

If they had sinister reasons for administering the vaccine then you wouldn't be able to stop them, they'd make it mandatory and hold you down kicking and screaming.

Don't forget, a judge in good standing can ALWAYS render you incompetent, then you become a ward of the state... all your "rights" vanish like a fart in the wind...

Like I said... live your life, be as free as happy as you can... AND STAY THE HELL OUT OF THEIR WAY!
-Andrea
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Fred, Coder - shall I send you more reliable sources?

Snopes is apolitical. Fred, how you can see that as left leaning is beyond me. See attached link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snopes

The BBC is not perfect but it’s streets ahead of the rubbish that purports to be news in the USA. On all my visits to the US, I have been surprised by the poor - and polarised - media. It’s a level below the U.K. How many news outlets do you have that are accused of bias by both sides of the political spectrum? That’s the position that the BBC holds. It does suggest some neutrality if you piss off both sides :-)

Seriously. If someone thinks that vaccines are about being chipped by Bill Gates, they should be sectioned and carted off to the funny farm. Rational thinking is a step too far for them.