The Art of Wearing a Miniskirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

The Art of Wearing a Miniskirt

Post by JeffB1959 »

When I started wearing skirts in public back in 2008, I was originally content to wear styles that fell to my knee, just above or just below. At the time, I wasn’t at all comfortable wearing anything shorter than that since I hadn’t as yet built up the confidence I felt I needed for that. After little more than a year, with plenty of outings under my belt, the more I wore skirts, having realized no one cared about what I wore, the more I wanted to push the envelope, and for me, that meant taking the daring step of wearing a miniskirt.

Now, my idea of a mini might differ from yours. For me, that first short skirt was a dark denim 17 incher from Old Navy, but, since I stand six foot two with long legs, that meant a lot of skin to show off, however, I was still just a tad self-conscious about wearing the thing, so I paired it with four inch heeled thigh boots, leaving little flesh to display. Go figure. I went to a computer store in the suburbs on my little adventure, it was early on a Sunday afternoon, and this stuff, which I visited frequently often had a good crowd, but, when I entered, no one paid me any attention, and that surprised me. I figured that between the short skirt and the thigh boots which women were rarely seen in, never mind men, I’d have all sorts of eyes on me, but nope, that never happened in the thirty plus minutes I spent in the store. Buoyed by the experience, I would wear the mini again, though not with the thigh boots, I came to enjoy the feeling of being something of an exhibitionist since the skirt showed off my legs, and with my confidence having grown, I enjoyed wearing minis which I found to be a lot of fun to wear, and, over the years, I’ve added other such skirts, including the ones I have in my closet today. I feel emboldened when I wear a miniskirt because I like putting my legs on display while demonstrating that men can both wear skirts, and look good, perhaps even great in them. With over a decade of wearing short skirts under my belt, I thought I’d share some wisdom and advice when it comes to minis:

HOW SHORT SHOULD YOU GO?
Far be it for me to tell anyone here how short a skirt you want to wear, but my personal mantra is that it’s important to dress tastefully while in public, if but for no other reason than to avoid attracting undue attention, and wearing something ridiculously short just begs for trouble in my opinion. My personal limit is 15 inches which for me is both short enough, and proper for being out and about, I’ve seen skirts advertised as scanty as 12 inches which is way too brief for my liking, probably for yours too. For anyone else, you should take into consideration your height, and the hem length that interests you and then go from there.

TICKET TO RIDE
This is as inevitable as the sunrise: a short skirt is going to ride up when you sit, showing off more of your legs than you’d like people to see, and there’s nothing you can do about that. If you’re not comfortable with that, then perhaps a mini isn’t for you. For me, that first time was pretty unnerving and I was openly nervous, but, over time, I’ve gotten used to it, today, I rather like having my skirt ride up, but that’s just me. If, however, you prefer decorum, softer fabrics like knits are easier to manipulate while sitting than denim which is stiffer and less yielding, and if it’s snug fitting denim, that makes controlling it more difficult.

THE HEAT IS ON
No, I’m not talking about that song by the late Glenn Frey, but I’m sure you can figure out what I mean here: the peril, and I do mean P-E-R-I-L of sitting on a heated outdoor surface in a short skirt during the middle of summer. The four alarm discomfort that comes from sitting on a metal bench that’s been baking under the sun for hours on end is nothing short of terrible, and that’s something I know from bitter experience. The only solution to that, short of carrying a piece of cloth or a newspaper (which I’ve done) to protect your bare skin, is to opt for wooden benches instead as they’re not prone to becoming kitchen griddle hot.

WINTER WONDERLAND
On the other end of the spectrum, living in the Northeast (Pennsylvania) where it gets plenty cold during winter, one would think that wearing a miniskirt is a non-starter, well, I’m here to tell you that’s not necessarily the case. Yes, I’ve taken leave of my senses by wearing a mini when it’s just above freezing and lived to tell the tale, it’s all about protecting your legs, and I do that by wearing thick tights (up to 200 denier) or leggings, and it works like magic. Now, if I lived in say, Minnesota, Michigan or Canada, I’d think twice about cold weather mini wearing, but, where I am, I manage to get by, and have fun at the same time.

YOU GOTTA ACCESSORIZE
As someone who obsesses over fashion, it’s not enough to just wear a mini, pairing it with tops and shoes can make a skirt pop. Starting with tops, just about anything works, in spring and summer, t-shirts, tanks, camisoles and blouses look good, I wear mine tucked in to show the whole skirt, but you can go the other way, in winter, it’s thick turtlenecks which I wear untucked. With footwear, many good choices here too, in the warmer months, go with sandals (flat or heeled) or sneakers, in winter, boots, ankle high, knee high or thigh high work great with minis, and I’ve done all three over the years. Give them a try sometime.

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT
Lastly, in my opinion, it takes a special sort of attitude for a man to strut about in public wearing a miniskirt. You have to possess a mindset that says wearing such a garment is no big deal, because, when you get right down to brass tacks, it’s really not, it’s just clothes, nothing more. Display not just your mini, but the boldness it takes to wear one for the world to see, never shirk or shrink while out and about, show your pride at wearing what you love, and, most of all, love what you wear. While I enjoy wearing skirts of any length, there’s a tremendous amount of fun that comes from being in a miniskirt that can’t be matched.
Last edited by JeffB1959 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The Art of Wearing a Miniskirt

Post by denimini »

Great. Compliments from another purveyor of the mini skirt.

Looking forward to more tips, particularly when you get to "picking things up off the floor" and "reaching for things on the bottom shelf in a supermarket".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

denimini wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:23 am Great. Compliments from another purveyor of the mini skirt.

Looking forward to more tips, particularly when you get to "picking things up off the floor" and "reaching for things on the bottom shelf in a supermarket".
Ask, and you shall receive. My advice for both is to keep your back straight and lower yourself with your knees to the floor, then rise back to a standing position, depending on if your knees are strong enough for that maneuver. Now, if you lack strong knees, or don't give a damn about flashing your underwear if you bend over in a miniskirt, then, make sure said undies are clean, or, better yet, wear black, which is what I do when in a mini. In winter, I have tights (almost always black) on, so bending over is no big deal, in spring and summer when I'm sans hosiery, being careful is important. I hope that answers your question.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

JeffB1959 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 am if you bend over in a miniskirt, then, make sure said undies are clean, or, better yet, wear black,
I think I need to get me a pair of these for the really short ones. My knees are showing signs of wear...

https://lockwood51.com/products/flames- ... _5EALw_wcB
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

The hem line of the mini-skirt has to be factored in the equation of how short does one go.
On one side - a pencil mini-skirt would have a tight leg hugging hem not much exposure to fear here -
And then the skater - poodle - cheerleader - skirt just the opposite - every little breeze could be trouble -
also in mid-hem-stream a mini-skirt - bending reaching leaning could be a revealing act -
Factor in the supporting clause unmentionables and where to draw the line - obviously the length
of those garments can be revealing of another sort.

As Jeff has noted ones height can play an important part:
1/6th of 6 feet (12 inches hem) as opposed to
1/5th (14 inches long) or
1/4th (18 inches longer)
1/7th (10 inches WOW how much shorter do you dare to go to cover all the underlying bases)
Anything more fractional and you have a cumber bun or belt - nothing more and certainly a lot less !

Add PLEATS and waist darts and the structure of the mini-skirt takes on a different look - - -
A wrap skirt with or without velcro buckles or an elastic (pull-on) and the waist fitting changes

The hourglass shape mini-skirt for the male is apt to be more of a 3/4 or half hour mode -
the waist and the hips being closer together 4 or so inch difference - compared to the female norm 6 or more
Colors patterns tartans can cause the eye to blink in what is seen.

All this and the deportment of the individual wearing the mini-skirt - a success or failure ! ? !

The discussion continues - Carry-On !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Great tips for wearing what I can not, but wish I could.
Mini's are for those who do not look like a pregnant elephant as I do. For those that are like me then a skirt with a length just at the top of the knee is best for short skirts. I like mine at or below the middle of the knee. I do envy those who can wear a mini and more power to you. If and that is a very big IF I ever do wear a mini it would have to be at least 3/4 of the way down to my knee. :lol: :mrgreen:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Good advice. Today was pleasantly warm in New England, and I ran a number of errands in a 40 cm/16" mini and sandals. I wear men's bikini briefs and have plenty of black ones, but today I wore a bright red pair; never mind those low shelves.
I stick to knee-length skirts with knee socks in cooler weather myself; pants when the snow flies.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I'm with Fred on this point,
Yeah, go as short on the skirt or dress as you like but don't make it the holy grail.
The real art is to be completely at ease in whatever you wear, not just its length.
Not only that but variety is the spice of life after all.
Steve.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:17 pm Great tips for wearing what I can not, but wish I could.
Mini's are for those who do not look like a pregnant elephant as I do. For those that are like me then a skirt with a length just at the top of the knee is best for short skirts. I like mine at or below the middle of the knee. I do envy those who can wear a mini and more power to you. If and that is a very big IF I ever do wear a mini it would have to be at least 3/4 of the way down to my knee. :lol: :mrgreen:
I second Fred on your post on it does have some great tips.
But unlike Fred I probably look like a pregnant grizzly bear ( lots of body hair)

Even if I were the very model of a modern major-general.
With a killer physique I wouldnt care for mini skirts.

The limitations brought on by a mini skirt make them impractical.
The biggest being accidental exposure is enough deterrent for me. I don't ant the potential risk of somehow having the police stopping by with accusations.
Then the hot or clingy surfaces gives additional cause to stay away.

Once the skirt is at the knee I don't find that the skirt gets anymore comfortable as it gets shorter.

I have several plain skater style skirt s I use under my kilts sort of like a slip. They are in a 16 to 18 inch range.
Due to my height and build I find that skirts from 20 to 22 long Is my optimum length. Being just slightly above the knee to mid knee.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:49 pm [
The limitations brought on by a mini skirt make them impractical.
The biggest being accidental exposure is enough deterrent for me. I don't ant the potential risk of somehow having the police stopping by with accusations.
Then the hot or clingy surfaces gives additional cause to stay away.

Once the skirt is at the knee I don't find that the skirt gets anymore comfortable as it gets shorter.
I usually just wear the short ones around the yard or working outside elsewhere that's not too public, but public enough that something needs to be worn. When it's hot it's much more comfortable for me to allow heat to radiate from my thighs.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, we all have different views on the mini. I'm a fan as it gives me a sense of freedom, no matter what the hem length is. Flashing underwear is not really a concern to me - you see no more than swimming gear on the beach. Yes, the context may have a frisson of eroticism if that's what turns you on, but in this day so what. It's not as if it's commando, then you take the risk of exhibitionism and that's definitely a no. For me midi is a frmpy length although some make it a successful length. Maxi is an appealing length for me. Interesting comments on the whole.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I agree with Jim. Minis are fun round the private space where the Public don't get a look in, but knee-length or thereabouts are far more reassuring to be out and about seen in. Maxis I personally hate. Remind me of ecclesiastical robes.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

I'm with many folks that can't wear a "Mini"(unless it is a Cooper ;) ).
If I wear a short skirt, I prefer the Hi-Lo style. High in front,
Low in back. This way I don't burn my legs when sitting on a bench
and I don't have to worry about showing tomorrows laundry. ;)

When the skirt hem line to the waist is shorter than my waist line,
I tend to avoid those skirts. (Hey Omar....How's the tent coming along? )

Just my $.02 worth :lol:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

here is a mini that i wore to the V A hospital
Scan_20200306 (3).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Sinned wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:45 pm Well, we all have different views on the mini. I'm a fan as it gives me a sense of freedom, no matter what the hem length is. Flashing underwear is not really a concern to me - you see no more than swimming gear on the beach. Yes, the context may have a frisson of eroticism if that's what turns you on, but in this day so what. It's not as if it's commando, then you take the risk of exhibitionism and that's definitely a no. For me midi is a frmpy length although some make it a successful length. Maxi is an appealing length for me. Interesting comments on the whole.
I am with Dennis on this one. I have not problem wearing a mini, as short as 11", anywhere in public these days. I have taken photos of myself on scaffold, ladders, bending, leaping and swinging from branches, and am surprised how little an undergarment is exposed, if at all.
I recall seeing a previous Prime Minister interviewed on National TV wearing budgie smugglers, which to me is the lowest common denominator as far as public exposure. Hence if my undergarment was totally exposed it would not be any worse that the sight of a PM on TV viewed across my dining table with a plate of 2 eggs and a sausage.

I will concede that public seating is an issue but with the advent of COVID I carry around hand sanitiser which I can easily slap onto the back of my legs, if I am worried.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia