new to the site

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
bretthov

new to the site

Post by bretthov »

Hello all

I just registered for the site and looking forward to getting to interact with all of you.

I am so glad I found this site and have had an interest in wearing skirts, kilts, and such for a while but didn't know where to turn for advice, tips, and support.

I live in the United States in Michigan.

Like many of you probably, I've been working from home for the last year and only going in to the office once a week or so for things. That has given me opportunity to buy some skirts on line and wear them at home. I've gotten a few skirts to start out with - mainly knee length type of skirts in plaids and solids that are more on the plain side, though did try a jumper and that was fun.

My next ting will be to wear skirt out in public, but trying to see what would look best for that as my skirts don't really match well with my regular tops and wardrobe. I'm fairly clueless how to match all of that and looking forward to getting advice on the forum as well as some skirts/kilts that others have gotten and liked.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: new to the site

Post by Coder »

Welcome, another Michigander here! Right before COVID happened I was about to start wearing skirts to work, then it hit. So, with some trepidation have been going into the office skirted when I have to - about once every or every other week, so far no issues but I also haven’t really run into any coworkers.

I’m in sort of a liberal mecca so no stares or anything odd when I’ve gone to the post office or UPS store, but haven’t yet gone anywhere else. Plus, someone wearing a cape or a guy in a fully crochet outfit (pants and all) would not be out of the ordinary downtown, so there’s that.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:
Welcome to the best place to find the information you need or want on the wearing of skirts and dresses. Don't be afraid of asking questions as some of our members are quite the fashion nerds. :lol: :lol:

Another thing don't worry about what others think about what you wear, first of all it is none of their business and second they do not control you..

I have been wearing skirts and dresses now for over 6 years and have not had a bad reaction yet.. And I live in the heart of the bible belt.

So once again Welcome!!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard! I too have found it a challenge to match existing shirts with skirts. A lot of my first skirts were denim or pretty plain colors, so it did not matter too much; yet here years later I'm finding the challenge grows as I try to coordinate more styles, fabrics, colors into an "ensemble" that at least doesn't blatantly declare --colorblind, no taste! Fortunately my wife helps with a better eye for these things, but this site has been a boon too.

As most here will tell you, venturing into public is really not a big deal. Nerves at first, but very soon you will find nobody gives a hoot, or if they do, they just carry on. I live in Central America which is rather universally a bit on the "macho" side -- but I'd sure not know it from my experience. I wear my skirts daily everywhere I go. Today that included the clinic; a pharmacy, auto-mechanics shop, grocery, bank, and visit with a friend -- nary a reaction, as usual. The only reactions are generally a simple query or compliment --- not so much about my style or lack thereof -- but about the merits of men wearing skirts and the good example it is setting. So, go forth with confidence -- own your choice -- and the pleasures will multiple!

Pura Vida
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome to the cafe, pour yourself a drink, take a seat by the potted palm and prepare yourself for a wild time! If you research previous threads and posts you will find that the recommendation for a first outing is the denim skirt - goes with anything and is virtually invisible to the general public. The only other thing to do is frequent charity shops [0], try on and experiment to develop your own style. Some wear skirts that others wouldn't but wear what you feel comfortable whether it be maxi, midi, knee, mini, it don't matter. You just need confidence and self-assurance. After that first time it gets easier. So good luck.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Why yes welcome to the cafe.
I'm a neighbor to the south in the great Hoosier state none greater than Indiana. ( I jest) There a lot of beautiful states out there. Not much more than corn in Indiana.
Any way yes welcome!
Don't give much thought to what women are wearing. (Or you will most likely end up in jeans or silly leggings) After all this is about men wearing skirts.

While I've been wearing skirts for over 20 years at home.
I'm relatively new to wearing skirts in public. I primarily fell in love with Knee length denim skirts and men's kilts.
I also own a few Burmese Longyi s.

Enjoy reading and reading, we have talked about everything from soup to nuts in this cafe.
Looking forward to seeing your posts around.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

:welcome:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
bretthov

Post by bretthov »

Thanks all for the welcomes - much appreciated!
I’ll be reading through more of the site this weekend and planning on ordering new skirts once I figure out style as fairly clueless on that, too. Have a thinner build and 5’11 so need to get a feel for what looks best and is most comfortable to wear.
Looking forward to getting involved and interact more
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

When you get the authorisation, based on your number of posts, have a gander at the Pics and Looks section. It will give you some ideas.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

The way I do it was go to a large second hand store and just browse all the skirts/dresses, pick the ones that look interesting and try them out. That way you can easily try out lots of different styles very quickly. I might feel a bit scary but you get used to it. Nobody cares. This gives you an idea of what kind of things suit your body type.

I did this regularly for a while, basically on the doorstep at 9am when they open and there are barely any people. I got it down to trying 10+ skirts in half an hour so I could be back home in time for work. Some weeks I scored two or three, sometimes none. I went about once a month so the collection rotated somewhat.

Bonus if you can have someone with you to give advice.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

An Irish welcome Bretthov and a word of caution about Sinned, Dennis. He invited you to pull up a chair & sit by the potted palm &c. Well in York, in NE England where he lives the palms grow straight up out of the soft white sand to enormous heights and you need to be on the watch-out for falling coconuts !! :roll:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Nah, Tom, you're mistaking York for Scarborough which we can see from the top of the Minister.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

You're right Dennis, of course. Last time I was up the Minster it was too hazy to see the Antipodes, but Scarborough caught my eye. Couldn't decide between it and Whitby as my next white sand & blue water holiday destination.

For our 35th (coral) MOH expressed a wish to see some and we did a January sailing ship (Royal Clipper) trip out of Barbados through the Windward islands. Saltwhistle Bay on the Tobago Kays probably best answers my description, where the shallow-draught catamarans nose into the beach so the punters can swim/snorkel/barbeque/have sing-songs &c. Btw. steel bands are best heard over the water from the next island!.....like bagpipes!

Sorry Bretthov for hijacking your thread, but on this Forum Queensbury Rules are off......

Tom
Saltwhistle Bay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
New-in-Skirts

Post by New-in-Skirts »

Welcome Bretthov to the club from Central Illinois. I love Michigan especially the UP, the Porkies, Bond Falls, crossing the bridge.