What were you doing an hour ago?

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Re: What were you doing an hour ago?

Post by Rokje »

Fixin' the floor in a power installation closet where cold air seems to get in after they installed 29 solar panels on our roof. Cables running from the roof through that closet into the electrical system of our house. Other cables running from that system go underneath the floor and go outside to the main power cable in the sidewalk. After that I got a bit thirsty, so I drank a Kasteel dark beer 11% alcohol

Kasteel beer is a Belgian Trappist beer. Living that close to Belgium has it's advantage :D Just kidding' , you can buy it in every supermarket if they have a nice beer section.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Today was marginally brighter and I couldn't resist taking this pic. of our two prized donkeys filing past the aforementioned dungheap put there by Yours Truly yesterday.......Pitchforking away in pink mini-skater, fishnets & pink patent 4" heels, of course!!
Their 5-star accommodation is behind and drinks are available at left outside, The only beverage on offer being Irishrainwater '21. A good year so far.
The interior sports a cafeteria counter extending the entire width of the building at which the only item on the menu is tossed hay. Oh to be a donkey!

After only one night just look what they left on that new straw!

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

More fertilizer for the lady of the house's flowers and veggies.
And more work for Tom!! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Gettin' groceries for the next couple of days. The Supermarket opens at 7AM, and that's a perfect time for me. I like to get up early, drink my strong black coffee, and get things done.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:58 pm .......Pitchforking away in pink mini-skater, fishnets & pink patent 4" heels, of course!!
Tom
Something delightfully incongruous about that.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Driving home last evening I was informed on my console that I had 'reduced engine performance'. This showed in the lethargic departure from the next lights. I called in at my Volvo agent on my way home and booked it in for this morning. Arriving home it 'died' half-way up the (fortunately flat) drive.

Hard on my heels came MOH in her camper and she pushed me the rest of the way using a cushion between our vehicles. This morning I alerted the garage that my car needed picking up from my home. Enter the building-specific postcodes. The guy was on my doorstep in a jiffy with his brand new recovery vehicle, which was too big to get past my cherry trees without potential damage, so he, MOH and I had to push my car in neutral back down the drive to a point from which he could winch it aboard.

So now I'm both breathless and carless. Stay tuned......

Tom
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 am Driving home last evening I was informed on my console that I had 'reduced engine performance'. This showed in the lethargic departure from the next lights. I called in at my Volvo agent on my way home and booked it in for this morning. Arriving home it 'died' half-way up the (fortunately flat) drive...
I had a Volvo that kept doing that.  Fortunately the engine computer fuse was within reach of the driver, just behind the ashtray, so I threw the ashtray away to give access to the fuses. Every time the engine computer flashed up a warning, I would pull out the fuse and re-set it; it only took a few seconds and gave me several days of motoring before it went again.

The diagnostic system indicated a different type of failure each time it happened; I changed every sensor I could find and the engine computer itself.  After five years of miserable motoring, I scrapped it and vowed never to touch a Volvo again.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Pelmut,
Thanks for the thrilling news about my choice of vehicle. It's my second Volvo and up to now it has been very comfortable, limousine-like in fact with a rear loading platform big enough for both our very large dogs, fast and economical enough to boot.

I've just heard from my Service agent that something called an EGR valve (something to do with exhaust regeneration? ) had failed, will take two days to get hold of the part and will cost me a princely Eur 645. Oh the joys of motoring. Where I live the use of a car is mandatory, so there is no choice but to cough up.

Tom
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pmI've just heard from my Service agent that something called an EGR valve (something to do with exhaust regeneration? ) had failed,
"Recirculation". It's a tactic used to reduce peak combustion-chamber temperatures to cut down on the formation of oxides of Nitrogen. It probably stuck open and that likely caused first the loss of performance and subsequently the failure.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, don't want to brag but, we have just put both of our cars through MOT ( annual mechanical fitness test ) for the princely sums of £198.22 for a Ford Fiesta and £42.19 for a SEAT Ibiza. The Fiesta had a new partial exhaust and four tyres. They both had a "free" annual service ( paid for parts only, filters, plugs etc ) as my wife is part -owner in the garage. The cars suit our needs as we only use them for tootlin' around locally as long distances for us are a rarity.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

This morning, had the engineer out for my external oil fired central heating combi boiler which died at the weekend. So I spent the morning trying to stop the shelter (a gazebo) blowing away, gazebo bought so I could get the boiler worked on when Scotland was raining. Strong winds are a challenge. Anyway, he did not have the right replacement pump and is returning tomorrow, hopefully in less wind and rain. This afternoon, stopping the Force 8 gale blowing my garage to pieces after it nearly ripped the end off the garage. Then watching youtube while I dried out.
All while wearing my favourite light denim ankle length skirt, which is slowly drying out.
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dennis,
Economical motoring for sure. Here the NCT (National Car Test) costs 55 Squids whether it passes or not. E.27 for a re-test. Centres are state run and not attached to any garages, all of which offer a 'Pre-NCT' vehicle check.....at a price! So you're screwed, either way.
B&B
I bet your ankle-length skirt behaved like a spinnaker in that wind/rain. Funny, I thought Hadrian's Wall protected you from all that and those weather conditions were the unique privilege of the Irish.

Having failed to get my new mobile to take a pic. of my car abduction I ran back up to the house & grabbed my steam-powered Canon, whose auto-focus gave a clear pic. of my tree twigs & blurred my departing transport, alas.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

Kirby,
Strangely enough, the skirt didn't catch the wind excessively, unlike the gazebo, I had to remove the side panels and just hope that the roofy bit didn't take off! The skirt did get very wet though, for the rest of the day I kept finding wet bits as I moved. I think I would have ended up colder and wetter in jeans, but I'm willing to take a second opinion!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm Hi Pelmut,
Thanks for the thrilling news about my choice of vehicle.
I didn't really mean to upset you [grin].
I've just heard from my Service agent that something called an EGR valve (something to do with exhaust regeneration? ) had failed,
My first Volvo (not the troublesome one) had those jam up and then rust through.  I cut the pipes, sealed them and threw the valves away.  The car sailed through its emissions test the following year without them.  In the later models, the electronics won't let you get away with that.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Pelmut,

From your posts you probably have an encyclopaedic knowledge about things automotive. Not my field. In a previous incarnation when I drove Triumphs in England I attempted to repair them myself, but even then all too often came up against the requirement for some 'special tool' or other.

Nowadays cars have become so electronic that I just drive them when they go and have them professionally dealt with when they don't. Yesterday's episode is a disappointment of course, but assuming they can fix it properly I look forward to enjoying my Swedish Steed for some time to come.

B&B,
Agreed removing the side panels gave you the best chance that the gazebo roof wouldn't blow away. The wind needs an exit, so less upward pressure builds up. Down in Kerry our neighbour had a galvanised roof on a windowless lean-to shed against our back wall. One night the roof took off, overflew some high-tension electric wires which cross our yard, took out the telephone wire and crashed to Earth just missing our conservatory. That little puff ripped quite a lot off the back of our boatshed roof, too. Our younger son, who was available spent a whole week down there clearing up the mangled roof and repairing that of our boatshed.
Years later, our neighbour still hasn't replaced that shed roof!

Tom