Mens Suiting Is Drab

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Mens Suiting Is Drab

Post by Faldaguy »

For me 'pants' just don't make it, for men or women -- the later at least can give them a little flare! However, what struck me most about the presentations were mostly the lack thereof -- dour looks, not really "owning" your choice and look -- it is that bit of underlying ownership that gives life to any outfit. Sure, color, fabric, flow...all help, but being a part of your clothing choice shines through more than design.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

If a man wears a skirt as part of his suit, what would he wear above the waist?

I really can't see a T-shirt as being part of a formal rig.

The world of business tends towards the formal and the conservative.

Presumably some version of a man's dress shirt might be worn.

Neckwear might be diversified a bit. Besides the usual neck ties, other possibilities include bow ties, ascot ties, cravats, and even bola ties.

Another possibility are waistcoats.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:21 am If a man wears a skirt as part of his suit, what would he wear above the waist?

I really can't see a T-shirt as being part of a formal rig.

The world of business tends towards the formal and the conservative.

Presumably some version of a man's dress shirt might be worn.

Neckwear might be diversified a bit. Besides the usual neck ties, other possibilities include bow ties, ascot ties, cravats, and even bola ties.

Another possibility are waistcoats.
My picture to the right reveals my opinion on the topic of men's business norms and skirts. Colour is a problem, as the subject of this thread states. I usually have to wear a cardigan to have something other than just a bare shirt on top, or something in a colour that works with my skirt.

I've recently started wearing a couple of bola ties. They are hand-me-downs from a man who was much smaller than me. Consequently, the strings are quite short. If I wear them with a women's shirt, and a skirt, they look right. The shorter, rounded collar, and the fact that I wear a skirt around my waist not my hips (as with men's trousers) is what makes them look right. They would look silly with a normal men's shirt and trousers, I am sure.

One day I would like to try a "neck tab", which is quite common in female dress uniforms.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

crfriend wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 am
The skirted rigs are better, but we need to move beyond the "pencil" look and into fuller designs.
Perhaps some version of an A-line skirt?
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Here is an alternative that could well be a starting point: https://media.gq-magazine.co.uk/photos/ ... 628592.jpg.
Dan Levy at the Emmys. I seem to remember that we had some discussion about it at the time but couldn't find the thread.
I'd certainly be happy enough to go to the office in such an outfit. In fact, I already in the dim and distant past. That did include a shirt and tie. It is probably in pics and looks somewhere, probably about 5 years ago.
Just a side note on "killer" heels. They really are very bad for your legs, in particular the lower calves. I worked with a lot of women in the retail industry who had spent a lot of their time in high heels. Very many of the older ladies had bad problems with their legs that were ascribed to their footwear.
A lot of the younger ones are aware of these consequences and just do not comply with the "norm".
Steve.
Found it
download/file.php?id=4805&mode=view
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Looked at the links posted by Stevie.

Regarding the top link..... Looks like the guy is wearing the top half of a man's (trousers) suit, over some sort of skirt. Hard to say exactly which style of skirt. Over all, it doesn't quite work. The suit jacket would need to be something like a Prince Charlie to go with a skirt.

The image for the lower link shows a minimalist outfit, but hints that a skirted suit could work for a man.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Grok wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:20 pm Regarding the top link..... Looks like the guy is wearing the top half of a man's (trousers) suit, over some sort of skirt. Hard to say exactly which style of skirt. Over all, it doesn't quite work. The suit jacket would need to be something like a Prince Charlie to go with a skirt.
Hi Grok,
My only question on this is why a "Prince Charlie"? That style of jacket is meant to be worn with a kilt so I'd guess that is where you are coming from. The skirt did look kilted to me too but not sure.
I reckon that, until we get out there and try, we will never quite make it work. However, if we get too hung up on some idealised perfect look it will never work at all. There is also no point in tying ourselves down to a single option, such as a specified style of jacket and skirt combo. It's time to get creative.
Nobody gets it right first time or every time, real life just ain't like that.
Steve.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 pm Here is an alternative that could well be a starting point: https://media.gq-magazine.co.uk/photos/ ... 628592.jpg.
download/file.php?id=4805&mode=view
Man, I cannot see Dan Levy without wondering if I am watching a rerun of SCTV. Very sharp outfits in both pictures though the second one makes me wish the fashion world would get off this obsession with hanging men's lower garments from the hips rather than waist.
Daryl...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

STEVIE wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:38 am
My only question on this is why a "Prince Charlie"? That style of jacket is meant to be worn with a kilt so I'd guess that is where you are coming from. The skirt did look kilted to me too but not sure.

There is also no point in tying ourselves down to a single option, such as a specified style of jacket and skirt combo. It's time to get creative.
Yes, I was thinking of something that might be worn with something like a kilt.

Sinned mentioned a conceivable alternative to a skirt suit--a "stylish dress". :idea: Actually, that idea is more interesting.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:53 am From the current Hugo Boss trends....

Mens suiting vs their womens suiting - in my opinion the womens suiting is just so superior. Far better style and it looks refined and balanced - and it has some personality too.

I would wear any of the womens outfits before I wanted to look at the drabby/clunky mens styles.

Anyone have similar thoughts? What do you think?

Given the conservative nature of business, I think we are much more likely to see men imitating the trousers suits of women than men wearing skirt suits. Minus the high heels and purses.

Maybe I should rephrase that. Due to the conservative nature of business settings, imitation of womens trousers suits is much more likely to gain traction than skirt suits for men.
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Daryl wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:40 am Very sharp outfits in both pictures though the second one makes me wish the fashion world would get off this obsession with hanging men's lower garments from the hips rather than waist.
My theory on this is that you can use your clothing to divide you body vertically into halves, quarters or thirds. For men it's mostly top/bottom half. Quarters are also permitted, but dividing into thirds (ie at the waist) is considered female only.

Just my impression though. The way to make things normal is to do it often enough.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I also like the skirted versions of the suits which look sharp and stylish and elegant. As for the lack of color, black, navy and gray work best in a 9 to 5 business environment, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Regarding hemlines, I'm partial to skirts that end just above the knee, supremely tasteful which is my personal mantra, as for jacket lengths, I found all three to be great, and I'm sure I could make them all work. Lastly, gotta have the heels, though I wouldn't go over four inches, but that's just my preference.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think the foot looks more elegant in a high heel. It doesn't have to be really tall - but the shape of a pump is minimal and lengthens the legs - and makes the wearers feet look smaller and less bulky.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I think male suits can look very classy if it is well cut from good material. If you are going to wear a skirt suit you can get away with slightly cheaper material. I have one women's trouser suit but it doesn't work and I don't wear it. I probably have about 15 skirt suits. I find a straight skirt just above the knee works well and so do long straight skirts and I have one with a very long flared skirt. I find any length in between looks dowdy. Most of the skirt suits are in colours that would work in a male suit but are rarely encountered there like olive and teal. I don't do colours like pink and lemon. I usually wear my skirt suits with tights and medium-heeled almond-toed courts. They are elegant without being too overtly feminine. For some reason a short jacket seems to work with my skirt suits better than a male length jacket. As for a top I would wear an open-necked shirt possibly with a soft scarf tucked in the neck or just hung round the neck. A simple close-fitting top with a scoop neck would also work, and it would be better if it had full length sleeves.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I think this looks nice.
1950sComputer.jpg
Everyone here should know by now I'm not a fan of tight fitting pencil like skirts popular in today's office...

Sadly, women who wear the styles depicted in the photo above in the office today are doomed to a lifetime of "secretary" at best. It seems a tight fitting "power skirt" is what's required to roll with the big boys in the board room.

Pity, the longer, fuller skirts just look so graceful. In my opinion, the skirts illustrated above display the zenith of the skirt as a garment.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...

Office fashion in general is DRAB today.. all of it, male, female, skirts, pants, I doesn't matter... all boring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.