Public safety in skirting 2021

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Public safety in skirting 2021

Post by STEVIE »

Sorry Guys but I sure as hell do not understand American law.
The gun culture is bad enough but allowing such a person to have charge of a potentially dangerous animal is another.
Can I ask how this actually happens to come about? I am fairly sure that UK law would not allow that scenario.
I would presume that the dog would be put down if he allowed it to cause injury and that isn't right either.
I also believe that retired civilian police dogs are left with their handlers when they retire here.
Maybe someone may like to confirm?
Steve.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Steve

Two words...

White privilege

As far as my situation, people like that look upon someone like me as "not living up to what it means to be a white man". I essentially sully the image of the "Arian race", and thus, the textbook definition of what's wrong with America.

That's why when they see me, they literally shake their head in disgust.

Like pretty much all American social problems... all roads lead to good old fashioned racism.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

Regrettably, we've got our 'pug uglies' on this side of the pond as well.

A situation developed a few years back where one of the aforesaid characters was effectively terrorising an imigrant of Arabian heritage. This, of course led to many calls to the police, but they were never able to catch him 'at it'. Then came the day when he again called on the victim, the police were a bit busy and the thug killed and started to burn the victims body - in the middle of an area of 'social housing' in a city!!!!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Well, encounters like the one I had the other day do tend to take the wind out of my sails for a bit, but then after I stew on it for a few hours, it seems it renews my boldness, and I get out there harder than before....

It's too bad the weather was so ratty today (frigid cold and dreary) I stayed in all day long.

Anyway, this guy was clearly the exception to the rule, though I admit to being throughly pissed off about it, but I think they part that really agitated me was when I learned he called my girl a fat ass while she was working.

I think this guy needs an attitude adjustment. It was all I could do to resist delivering one... I need to psych myself up for our next encounter, I have to remind myself this joker isn't worth a criminal record and the job loss that comes with it.

There's some old "central Virginia redneck" buried deep within me that he's messing with...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:05 amI think this guy needs an attitude adjustment. It was all I could do to resist delivering one... I need to psych myself up for our next encounter, I have to remind myself this joker isn't worth a criminal record and the job loss that comes with it.
He'll entirely likely get one sooner or later, because sooner or later he's simply going to torque the wrong guy the wrong way and if he's lucky will merely receive a beating. If he's unlucky he might receive a lead slug or two.

Don't you be the one to issue either; you have too much to lose. Clearly this loser has very little to lose; hence his behaviour. Take the high road. -- which is frequently the path less followed.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
hillaryskirt

Post by hillaryskirt »

Interesting discussion and such a shame that level of threat exists, or can exist, when we are indulging in an innocent pleasure that is for many of us a necessary lifestyle choice. Vital for our mental and spiritual health and to live a true life. An honest life.
Over here in the UK I guess the threat is not so delineated. And yet what do I know / I am still so nervous I can't even make it out of the front door wearing a skirt. :oops: :?
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm not sure if it's really a physical threat, at least no more than any other activity would be. I'd say the odds of injury are a hundred times greater just driving down the road.

I think probably the best thing to do is follow Carl's advice when these confrontations happen and just take the high road and walk away.

Word is this particular man probably likes to bait people into confronting him then he pulls out his camera and records you going off, all the while he plays the victim.

Even if you win a physical fight with someone like that, you never really win. The video footage doesn't show what led to the altercation, he'll be sure to edit that out, and now you have the court of public opinion to deal with. And on that account I'm already in a deficit by several points for being the "Atheist crossdresser" harassing poor little pitiful Billy (made up name) and his innocent service animal.

Nope.... you never win those.

One of these days someone is going to bust a cap in his ass. The universe always settles the score.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Don't give him another thought.Be a bigger person walk away and keep being you.Remember you're trying to get people to see the good in skirt wearing men.The guy shouldn't be getting to you Moon and you're allowing him to.He's a jerk show him how to be a man.Kill him with kindness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JennC03 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm The guy shouldn't be getting to you Moon and you're allowing him to.
He's not getting to me, I'm just sharing a story. I deal with this crap all the time.
JennC03 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm Kill him with kindness.
I will not kill him nor will I be kind. I'm just going to ignore him if it happens again.
-Andrea
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:15 pm
JennC03 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm The guy shouldn't be getting to you Moon and you're allowing him to.
He's not getting to me, I'm just sharing a story. I deal with this crap all the time.
JennC03 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:49 pm Kill him with kindness.
I will not kill him nor will I be kind. I'm just going to ignore him if it happens again.
Ignoring is the best option.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I rather got a kick out of the "Frozen" meme of, "Let it go." That's almost always the best practise if it's possible to do so. Let it run off you like water off a duck's back and don't sweat it. There are vastly more important things to worry about in the world than idiots.

Karma deals with the idiots in time. Even if they don't get "taken out" by somebody without much to lose, the survivors will pretty much go, "Well, he had it coming." and then forget about him. Thus, he will lose his chance at a little touch of immortality when nature (or otherwise) takes its course. Society does not mourn the passing of idiots; in fact society tends to enjoy seeing idiots get their comeuppance. Friends and acquaintances are who are important, and it's worth noting that idiots usually don't have many of those; they tend to die cold and alone -- sometimes because they simply deserve it. It's not your problem, so don't make it your problem.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
GerdG
Member Extraordinaire

Post by GerdG »

Pretty sad, that public safety, or rather the lack of it, should be an issue in 2021. And when first reading it, I thought it was kind of joke. But I now understand it is not.
I can think of no country in continental Europe where it should be a problem for a man to wear a skirt. At least I have never experienced it. But I have in New York, Manhattan around 42nd Street in 2011, where a man stopped me to tell me that I deserved to be killed, for wearing a kilt.
GerdG

There ARE viable alternatives to trousers.
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

Fortunately I haven't encountered people like that when skirted, but I have at other times. The reason they get agitated by things like this is that they have such empty miserable lives. And people call it karma, but I believe it is actually bad stuff generated by bad people. What goes around comes around. The very few shops that refuse to let me try on clothes ALL go out of business soon afterwards, and other shop owners tell me that I had not been singled out - they had to close down because they were horrible to everyone. Just take some comfort from the very strong likelihood that such people have ghastly personal lives. Anyone who makes death threats to someone because of what they are wearing is seriously disturbed. When you think of the many death threats our women politicians get over trivial matters you realise that there are some truly awful people out there yet somehow we rarely encounter them. Long may it last. Rise above them - though you are already above them. Most people are.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

GerdG wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:11 am But I have in New York, Manhattan around 42nd Street in 2011, where a man stopped me to tell me that I deserved to be killed, for wearing a kilt.
Wow. Though I imagine I too would have received more death threats in 2011. But to be honest, I don't think people have changed all that much since then, note the rise of the smart phone with its handy built in video recorder around that time.

People started to bite their tongue more when they knew their bigotry would get broadcast all over YouTube.

Well, that worked for a while anyway, but I'm afraid it's getting to the point where the haters no longer care about being outed. Their hate is a source of pride for them now. Completely enabled by their echo chambers on social media.
rivegauche wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 am When you think of the many death threats our women politicians get over trivial matters you realise that there are some truly awful people out there yet somehow we rarely encounter them.
This ties into my above comment. One has to be seriously messed up in the head to go out of their way to send someone a death threat. You know, there have been public figures that I can't stand, and quite a few that, if I should open the paper and find they have died, I would not shed a tear, but I have zero desire to do the killing, nor do I want to see anyone killed... if for no other reason that I know the value of a martyr. No... it's generally best when they go by natural causes.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

hillaryskirt, I live in York, a pretty relaxed city, and I have never felt unsafe going out in a skirt. I get pretty much ignored most of the time which is why I can't really understand my wife's reticence. Not sure which part of the country you are in but I can't really think of many parts where I would be reluctant to go skirted, although they must exist. Even going down to the city centre on a Saturday night wouldn't fase me. When I used to drop any of my children off for the night clubs and see how little some of the women used to wear and how crazily some of the men used to dress ( think dressing up as you would at Halloween and you'll get the idea ) then a man wearing a skirt just wouldn't have stood out. You'll get there in the end and when you do, after the first two or three outings, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about in your mind. My wife's gone shopping and I'm sat typing this in a red cord skirt. No big deal.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.