GQ articles

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
steamman

GQ articles

Post by steamman »

Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Re: GQ articles

Post by Coder »

Nice articles, although I'm getting awfully tired of "Could THIS BE THE YEAR?????" trend. Maybe if the styles they present weren't so... bizarre at times. Although I am more hopeful as people like Styles use their Instagram/Twitter power.

Some of the styles I would wear - Louis Vuitton AW21 (skip the pants, though not sure what's up with the bullet-proof vest), the Rick Owens or Thom Browne skirts (again, what's up with the argyle socks??). Not sure about the others - but to each their own.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

Id wear the Rick Owens or Thom Browne skirts - the rest are not my style.
I'd wear a basic pump with them though - skip the socks or sandal thingies....

cheers
NZF
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I could wear the Rick Owen skirt too but I doubt the value for money.
Once more, I am quite sure that I could find a similar design across the aisle at a more acceptable price.
As for the rest, they are designer concepts and not intended for direct transfer to the mass markets,
There is no real ^mass" in the market place for men's skirts anyway so that is moot anyway.
Steve.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

The Thom Browne skirt suits are nice (though the skirt hem is stupid), but it's too expensive. $1000 for any outfit is too much. I can get a ladies skirt suit that would fit better at a fraction of the price :P
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Coder wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 pm Nice articles, although I'm getting awfully tired of "Could THIS BE THE YEAR?????" trend. Maybe if the styles they present weren't so... bizarre at times. Although I am more hopeful as people like Styles use their Instagram/Twitter power.
"The year" was somewhere in the mid 2010's... GQ needs to get with the times! :wink:

There is literally nothing stopping guys from wearing whatever they want, it's been this way for at least five years now, I know, because I've been doing this quite openly for over five years with no negative consequences.

Do most guys wear skirts? No. But neither do most women. So I think it's fine enough where it stands.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
KiltedintheValley

Post by KiltedintheValley »

GQ and others have been saying this for several years now. The only difference I see this year is the "normal" look of some of the dresses/skirts. I would wear some of those outfits, but I am with most here...I can find the same style in the women's section for a fraction of the price!
"Be weird. Be random. Be who you are, because you never know who would love the person you hide." - Alan Watts

Life is too short to talk yourself out of wearing what you want because “I can’t pull off that look”.
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

KiltedintheValley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:16 pm GQ and others have been saying this for several years now. The only difference I see this year is the "normal" look of some of the dresses/skirts. I would wear some of those outfits, but I am with most here...I can find the same style in the women's section for a fraction of the price!
Agreed with both points!
moonshadow wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:53 pm "The year" was somewhere in the mid 2010's... GQ needs to get with the times! :wink:

There is literally nothing stopping guys from wearing whatever they want, it's been this way for at least five years now, I know, because I've been doing this quite openly for over five years with no negative consequences.

Do most guys wear skirts? No. But neither do most women. So I think it's fine enough where it stands.
I like what you are saying here... maybe someone needs to wake these writers up and explain to them they are living in the past. Instead of treating it like a new trend, just ask them to cover it like it’s bog standard, and what’s wrong with you - the man who doesn’t have a skirt in your closet.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

I like the JW Anderson plain black dress. I have always had a soft spot for puffy sleeves and a gathered waistline for skirts.

Of course this will change nothing, in the same way that attention-grabbing spectacles on the fashion runway never really make it into the mainstream.
Ralph!
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Just to illustrate my point: Even though JW Anderson claims that black dress is from their "Autumn/Winter 21 Collection",it appears nowhere on their storefront. Not in generic "men's clothing", not in Exclusive, New Arrivals, or even Women's Dresses. Furthermore, there is no "dresses" category on the Men's tab (yet).

Colour me disappointed, JW Anderson!
Ralph!
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

A new GQ article..
And they might be finally getting it. Men want a simple skirt, not something that resembles a over the top clown costume.

Published on March 19 2021
https://www.gq.com/story/sober-menswear-skirts

Check it out
Also can anyone figure out how to submit feedback to GQ? Finally something worthy of positive comments.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:50 pm A new GQ article..
And they might be finally getting it. Men want a simple skirt, not something that resembles a over the top clown costume.

Published on March 19 2021
https://www.gq.com/story/sober-menswear-skirts

Check it out
Also can anyone figure out how to submit feedback to GQ? Finally something worthy of positive comments.
Finally! We just have to get those prices down and more into the mainstream. I would still pick a £5 pencil from a thrift shop, or a second hand Zara denim for next to nothing than shell out for a designer skirt for men. TBH no one cares amongst the young. This is a generation which can happily wear pyjamas and other nightwear to drop their kids off at school :mrgreen:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

All I can say is that if this catches on, and skirts on guys becomes moderately mainstream, the lot of us here will be able to lean back and truthfully say, "My work here is done!"

At that point in time, The Skirt Cafe will become redundant, and I'll be able to say the same thing and gracefully retire back to private life. Perhaps, just maybe. We shall see. Know, however, that the reactionaries will fight the notion tooth and nail because it flies in the face of the world they want to see before them. If skirts on men start to become commonplace, expect a backlash.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Perhaps men in skirts has, in it's own way, become mainstream. Heaven knows I've never had any problems wearing skirts public on crowded downtown streets and in packed shopping malls and no one bats an eye. Of course, that might also be seen as indifference from the public at large, still, the fact I've yet to have angry, torch bearing mobs hunting after me like in the original Frankenstein says a lot about just how far we've come.
Last edited by JeffB1959 on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

In a very strange sense I must agree with Jeff.
It has become "mainstream" for me and, I guess, my wider circle. Indeed, trousers on me nowadays would likely raise more comment and concern than any skirt or a dress.
I could never in my wildest dreams have envisaged making such a statement when I was the nervous newbie at the cafe!
However, I still cannot see that men in skirts will become any kind of norm any time soon either.
Sorry Carl but I think that your impeccable Barista skills will be needed around here for a while yet.
Steve