Sick and Tired

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Sick and Tired

Post by Elisabetta »

When I came to Skirtcafe.org shortly after Moon joined it was fun coming on here encouraging men who choose to wear skirts and be happy in who they were.

Politics got brought to the Cafe and we've had to have Trump supporters cram Trump down our throats.Why is it that because we don't agree with you in how we feel about Trump threads are constantly locked when you don't get your way? Why is it when someone says LOCK THE THREAD you heed and do it yet you start the threads?

I personally think people on this thread need to grow up a bit.If there's a rule to no Politics stop bringing it to the Cafe and locking threads when you voice how you feel towards something but everyone else is made to be silenced after you voice a long post putting others down for being Democrats.I've read name calling towards other members here for being liberal and Democrats but they're to heed to you being Republicans.I thought our Mommas raised us better than this?

Rant over!
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sick and Tired

Post by Big and Bashful »

I am glad I haven't been part of that, being from the U of K! Over the past few months the US comedy show has helped keep me from looking at Brexit or fretting over COVID. On here I have only noticed two really vocal Trumpists and I remember at least one thread which hosted a fairly civil debate. At least the election is done now, things will calm down (maybe) and I can get back to Brexit and worrying about my own sad little corner of the world.

NOTE: I have been careful, not siding with anyone over the pond, I know what I think, I will keep it to myself on here!

Have an exceedingly nice day!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

As a chronic lurker, I've been spending a lot of time *not* reading a lot of the political topics because of highly charged emotions permeating the posters.

The past 5 years (I include the Trump/Clinton hostilities) can be characterized as open psychological warfare between the two factions, whose differences are about as big as choosing which end of a soft boiled egg should be opened. (re: Gulliver's travels and the whole big endian/little endian thing).

The good news is that we will probably have, at the very least, a "honeymoon" period as Biden gets established and judged on his own merits. With any luck at all, that calm will turn into a lasting peace.

The bad news is that there's a good chance it *wont* last. The psychological tactics used typically involved winding up the factions to a frenzy like fervor, polarizing, and dare I say solidifying allied constituencies to the parties particular camps. This is big trouble because it becomes the vested interest of both political parties to continue this division to keep their voting block(s) securely on their side, ensuring re-election.

Now for the argument to let the rants go on....

As sure as the psychotherapy industry depends on the benefit seen by their clientele blabbing what gets them wound up, letting people rant political provides a stabilizing and calming effect. This means that there are benefits to not only letting people vent, even if it is offensive. And if received properly, even the ones listening to it get the reward of helping the one doing the ranting get over it.

And a preliminary plan to survive the informational assault....

The trick to successfully dealing with offensive ranting is to remember this:
You don't have to accept what they say as sensible, real, or good, or even rational.
It's their opinions. You are in no way obligated to make them your own, or give them any weight whatsoever.

I also feel the best way to slow/stop the ranting is to reply with calming, kind words.
Kindly telling them at the end the details that don't make sense is perfectly valid.

Or you could do like I'm doing....
I get far enough into the post that I feel myself getting wound up, and immediately leave the rest unread.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I purchased a written journal a few weeks ago in part due to the "cancel culture" that as infected the internet, I use this journal to write my thoughts that are otherwise offensive to someone or another.

I don't participate in social media anymore due to the toxic vitriol that has taken over virtually every aspect of the internet. It's a shame we can't freely exchange ideas anymore.

I suspect as the various rulers of the internet seek to sanitize the net to their liking, it will get to the point where the world wide web is basically unusable, for anything other than streaming and paying bills online.

This website here is not under my control, that much is clear, but what is under my control is how I choose to spend my free time. Nobody likes having a proverbial hand over their mouth, but it really adds insult to injury when certain people have a bully pulpit, and use that rank to silence opposing views.

I unsubsribed from the offending thread the other day, having lost interest in it, but the rhetoric of the last two post I found particularly offensive, but doubly offensive when the moderator makes one final jab, then locks it. No... just lock the thread then, no need to pull any political punches... just lock it.

I haven't decided my overall response to this situation. This has happened before and it's wearing thin. I've half a mind just to cease my participation on this site, and as the day wears on, the more annoyed I get over the situation.

We've lost some good members over this crap. I'm having dejavu here because I swear I remember posting about this before.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:22 pm I purchased a written journal a few weeks ago in part due to the "cancel culture" that as infected the internet, I use this journal to write my thoughts that are otherwise offensive to someone or another.

I don't participate in social media anymore due to the toxic vitriol that has taken over virtually every aspect of the internet. It's a shame we can't freely exchange ideas anymore.

I suspect as the various rulers of the internet seek to sanitize the net to their liking, it will get to the point where the world wide web is basically unusable, for anything other than streaming and paying bills online.

This website here is not under my control, that much is clear, but what is under my control is how I choose to spend my free time. Nobody likes having a proverbial hand over their mouth, but it really adds insult to injury when certain people have a bully pulpit, and use that rank to silence opposing views.

I unsubsribed from the offending thread the other day, having lost interest in it, but the rhetoric of the last two post I found particularly offensive, but doubly offensive when the moderator makes one final jab, then locks it. No... just lock the thread then, no need to pull any political punches... just lock it.

I haven't decided my overall response to this situation. This has happened before and it's wearing thin. I've half a mind just to cease my participation on this site, and as the day wears on, the more annoyed I get over the situation.

We've lost some good members over this crap. I'm having dejavu here because I swear I remember posting about this before.
That's why I unfriended both on Facebook and if I can be 100% blunt I don't like either one of them.They're no friends of mine.I won't waste money to travel down to see them either.I'm moving on but rest assure I will start calling people out.I'm sick of a certain Moderator playing favorites to other members on here than the same rule applied to everyone.You do what you want Moon but I'm exiting Skirtcafe.org it's turned into the next Trump website and I personally no longer care for it.I wish everyone well.This will be my last and final post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Uncle Al wrote:I've read here that many members of this Cafe' have become prime members of the BMW Society.
That's not the automobile club. Bitch, Moan and Whine :!:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I'M SAYING - TOUGH COOKIES :!:
Hmmmmm.... :|
JennC03 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:47 pm I'm exiting Skirtcafe.org
Yeah, I think I'm with you on that.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

People disagree and that's what makes America great. I've found the political discussions to be civil and thought provoking. And they are placed in the Off-topic part of the site. Must people throw out the baby with the bath water? It can be good to be exposed to other points of view, as it can be good to ignore them if you like.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Hopefully you read this before deleting the bookmark(s) off your browser...

I, personally, would hate to see either of you two gone for good.

I actually look forward to reading your posts, and pick them out of the "unread posts" list when I visit here.

It is my bad that I hardly contribute, and have no good excuse.

These politically fueled hostilities spilling over into...every...last...social...media...venue...and...has...to...stop.
I honestly believe that it is spilling over into here because it's forcibly coming out of such a large percentage of the population in general.

That being said, taking a break is cool. Been there. Done that. And am about one "tagged" political post away from doing it with Facebook again.

I'm taking hope that I'll be reading of your road trips, and other exploits, as things calm down.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Dammit.

This is a fantastic example of what happens when Holy Wars start up -- civility is the first victim. Broadly, I'm with Kingfish on this one, that it's useful for viewpoints to be heard, no matter how repugnant we may find them. What we don't need is for folks to throw hissy-fits when something gets brought up that they don't agree with -- and certainly not when it involves power and privilege. I find myself profoundly disappointed at this juncture: disappointed at the fact that certain people are behaving like petulant children; disappointed at the fact that common decency and respect has seemingly vanished; and especially disappointed in that I may have a rogue moderator to deal with.

What a bloody wonderful way to cap off a completely lousy week.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

I had thought the Off-Topics section is for anything not pertaining to men wearing skirts.

From the home page: "Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it."
Coder
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Coder »

I have been trying to find a way to hide the political discussions because they annoy me and they don't really add to the discussion on men's skirts here. If I wanted politics I'd go somewhere else. But I don't get worked up over them because 'meh'. At the moment they show up under "Unread posts" and I click on them to mark them as read (or click the mark as read link).

I've learned over the past few years talking to people on both sides that no one wants to discuss things anymore, they just want to be right - both sides are a cult - and I feel a huge disconnection from society because of this. I'm not saying I'm a middle-of-the-road moderate, and therefore above reproach.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

I will post this response then am getting off this site for awhile.

Will we be back? Currently uncertain.

Here is the issue at hand.Carl you are a wonderful person and outstanding webmaster and Mod.I am not aiming whatsoever to ruin your week but there's an issue here that needs immediate addressing. You have a very rogue Moderator when it comes to a certain mod.He takes his responsibility overboard.

My point of my post is as follows:

I enjoy coming here and supporting everyone in their different choices of clothing, lifestyle changes among many other things.When politics were previously brought into topics it caused flame wars among members here in the Cafe so locking thread's were needed at that time.I get it.What I don't get is the same Moderator starting a thread everyone is causality expressing themselves and their views mature.Out of no where it gets locked because we didn't say or heed to liking Trump.However before the thread is locked he chooses to name call us included in a quote above by Moon before locking when no other members even name called him or anything.

I get there's a lot of Trump supporters on Skirtcafe however no ones going to be in agreement to like or think in the same manner than a Democrat would. The lack of respect is wearing thin on both sides.

I'm a pleasant young lady with a huge heart of gold.I try to steer clear of the Political stuff because am not for politics.Sure will give my opinion on something but that's all it is an opinion.If a Moderator is going to provoke a discussion off of a former President than he should expect the responses from his topic to not always be in agreement with him.He shouldn't throw a tantrum and use the advantage of being a Moderator to threaten other members of the forum in locking a thread.He also shouldn't be playing favorites and locking threads because other members tell him to.

I'd love to get back to reading pleasant post again on the Cafe and having adult discussions where people can act like adults and not hell raising brats their Mama's didn't raise.

Coder it's hard steering clear of such posts and topics because they're always being started by a Moderator or a member that's supporting that Moderator.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Brad wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm I had thought the Off-Topics section is for anything not pertaining to men wearing skirts.

From the home page: "Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it."
Don't play Moderator if you don't care to read my post refrain from comments and scroll thanks 👍
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

To Jenn- have you considered addressing your concerns with the moderator privately? I would hate to see you go. You've had insightful comments over the years. Also it's rare to find an approving woman here or anywhere in the male skirt wearing universe.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

Brad wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:38 pm To Jenn- have you considered addressing your concerns with the moderator privately? I would hate to see you go. You've had insightful comments over the years. Also it's rare to find an approving woman here or anywhere in the male skirt wearing universe.
We have but Carl can only do so much the Rogue Moderator needs to be called out.I personally think he needs replacing but I don't handle all that.Thanks I hope you have a wonderful day Brad.