Does wearing a mask make it easier?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Does wearing a mask make it easier?

Post by Faldaguy »

Bob; please double check the source of your information -- they sound suspiciously like some of the conspiracy theory and denier sites that proclaim facts, but have not backed them up with valid evidence. I've lost two close, nearby, Friends to Covid -- so it was real to them, and me. The millions that have been seriously ill or died well in excess of the normal "background" deaths in a year is evidence that something is killing more of us than normal. Masks may not be a total solution, but they clearly help reduce contagion -- please consider this minor inconvenience as respect to others regardless of your current personal doubts. And, do check your source data carefully, you may be surprised.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Andy_G wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:11 am Curious in the view of the group - how does wearing a mask change being out in a skirt? Is the small cloak of anonymity an advantage?
I think: for me neither easier, neither more difficult.

People in our town know me without regard to my wearing the mask. (There is living about 2100 inhabitants in our town, about 4000 - 5000 inhabitants together with neighbo(u)ring villages.) Anonymity is impossible under these conditions. Especially if I wrote an article about it and published it in the local town magazine (http://mestonovyknin.cz/assets/File.ash ... menty=7577 - page 20 "Koupil jsem si kilt" = "I bought a kilt"; extended copy of this article is placed in my personal blog here: https://miloshlavka.wordpress.com/2020/ ... m-si-kilt/ ; both in the Czech language, of course, but on-line translators can provide at least some information about its content), where I explained why I do it and where it is possible to buy kilts or something similar (some people had asked me about that).

Briefly: it does not matter.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:10 am Bob; please double check the source of your information -- they sound suspiciously like some of the conspiracy theory and denier sites that proclaim facts, but have not backed them up with valid evidence. I've lost two close, nearby, Friends to Covid -- so it was real to them, and me. The millions that have been seriously ill or died well in excess of the normal "background" deaths in a year is evidence that something is killing more of us than normal. Masks may not be a total solution, but they clearly help reduce contagion -- please consider this minor inconvenience as respect to others regardless of your current personal doubts. And, do check your source data carefully, you may be surprised.
I am sorry for the loss of your friends. Did they die OF covid or WITH covid? In Colorado five recent deaths were reported as from covid, but the chief medical examiner says two of them, who had previously tested "positive" actually died of gunshot wounds. It is not seriously arguable that the figures have been heavily doctored. There is much more going on than meets the casual eye.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... sance.html
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

No double checking of the information source as requested. I’m not in the least surprised.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

BobM, regarding the cause of death being cited as from corona - does that mean that virtually every country on earth is in collusion in listing corona as the case of death when it isn't or is only a partial reason? There have been far too many, well over a million worldwide so far, for the virus not to be a serious, deadly pandemic much as you try to downplay it. At the moment the pandemic is too new for there to be many demonstrably true "facts" about the pandemic, source, methods of dissemination, effectiveness of masks, their types and the effectiveness of vaccines. So don't quote any current "facts" yet, wait a week or a month or so and the "facts" will likely have changed due to subsequent discoveries. I work in shop floor retailing and virtually every customer I meet dislikes wearing a mask but they do so because they are unselfish and want to do the best they can to shorten the effects of the pandemic. I still say that you are attempting to defend the indefensible. More than a bit like Trump declaring widespread election fraud when there's no evidence of it. Touche.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

As for covid fears, I'm personally more concerned with frivolous testing. I understand there is a good chance for false positives.

If I feel sick enough, I'll submit to a test, but I'm not just going to test "for the hell of it". If I'm feeling fine and get a [false] positive, that's it, I'm out of work for a fortnight, possibly without pay. Not only that, but so is Amber, and she definitely doesn't get paid.

No thank you, this ultra cold hearted capitalist system I live in commands that I report to work under any circumstances. Frankly I'll be glad if/when we ever get back to the good old days of being allowed to work with the sniffles.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

There has been so much false information reported as real that I do not know who to believe. I have several Doctors and each one says something different. So what are we to believe???
Do we believe the politicians or the real doctors or the news papers and TV???? Me I will wait to see what happens and try to stay well only going out when absolutely necessary and then with a mask. As I said before I have breathing problems and a mask makes them worse so I stay home and do not go anywhere that would require a mask unless it is required...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:06 pm There has been so much false information reported as real that I do not know who to believe. I have several Doctors and each one says something different. So what are we to believe???
Do we believe the politicians or the real doctors or the news papers and TV???? Me I will wait to see what happens and try to stay well only going out when absolutely necessary and then with a mask. As I said before I have breathing problems and a mask makes them worse so I stay home and do not go anywhere that would require a mask unless it is required...
Yeah, that's the boat I'm in too. This whole pandemic and the authority's handling of it has been nothing short of a fuster-cluck.

I wear the mask when I am expected to, "just in case". I don't want to take a chance and possibly infect someone unknowingly. Hopefully this will be over soon and conspiracy theories can go back to what they were in the good old days.... I miss the tin foil hats, sneering at contrails, and I REALLY miss the days when it was "us" (the people) against "them" (the ruling elite)...

Now thanks to the brainwashing of the masses via the media, the ruling elite have the people bickering now more than ever.... while they laugh all the way to the bank.

Guilty confession.... I admit to being a little disappointed that covid hasn't wiped out two thirds of the nation's elected officials... We lost some great people this year... sadly, nobody in politics. :blue:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

I wear a mask anywhere I go when I interact with other people because it’s safe, and it minimises the risk of transmission. I’d rather not wear a mask, but having spent two weeks in Spain in September wearing a mask outside as well as inside, I’m quite used to it. I don’t feel as if my liberties are being infringed. That’s for morons. This is a mask, not a pair of handcuffs.If, at the end of this all, the science proves that masks were ineffective, then my personal sacrifice has hardly been measurable. It’s a mask. I have a very comfortable one, bought for £20 from an Austrian company - but the £5 linen one is far better in hot temperatures. Sacrifice? Not financially.

I will wear a mask outdoors when I am in a shopping area or in a shopping centre (You Americans may refer to these as malls). Again, it’s all about making sure that I do not transmit the virus to anybody else whether it be covid or flu. It’s hardly an infringement on my liberties. If somebody thinks that wearing a mask is a serious infringement on one’s liberties, then they are either a moron, or should start driving on the wrong side of the road to demonstrate their personal liberty.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by BobM » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:52 am

Faldaguy wrote: ↑Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:10 pm
Bob; please double check the source of your information -- they sound suspiciously like some of the conspiracy theory and denier sites that proclaim facts, but have not backed them up with valid evidence. I've lost two close, nearby, Friends to Covid -- so it was real to them, and me...

I am sorry for the loss of your friends. Did they die OF covid or WITH covid? In Colorado five recent deaths were reported as from covid, but the chief medical examiner says two of them, who had previously tested "positive" actually died of gunshot wounds. It is not seriously arguable that the figures have been heavily doctored. There is much more going on than meets the casual eye.

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... sance.html
Bob,
Here is a review of your source "American Thinker" from media fact check. There are numerous other organizations that also monitor and rate media performance; and a quick review of them says that this review is on target. Once again, I caution people to be careful in their evaluation of source information. American Thinker appears to quite weak on any critical thinking.

American Thinker

Share:
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmailTumblrRedditLinkedInFlipboardGoogle BookmarksShare
American Thinker - Questionable Source - Extreme Right Bias - Conservative - Republican - Fake News - Not CredibleFactual Reporting: Low - Not Credible - Not Reliable - Fake News - Bias
QUESTIONABLE SOURCE
A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

Overall, we rate the American Thinker, Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracy theories/pseudoscience, use of poor sources, and several failed fact checks.
Detailed Report
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Conspiracy, Propaganda, Lack of Ownership Transparency
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History

American Thinker is a conservative news and opinion blog, founded in 2003 by Thomas Lifson (He writes frequently for the conspiracy site The Liberty Beacon) and Health Care consultant Richard Baehr (he also writes frequently for PJ Media, Jewish Policy Center, and Israel Hayom). Both Liftson and Baehr are Kenyon Collage Alumni. According to an interview with Richard Baehr, he originally launched the website as a forum: “I think we have one of the most thoughtful online forums out there,” Thomas Lifson is currently the Editor and Publisher of the site.

Read our profile on United States government and media.

Funded by / Ownership

The American Thinker does not disclose who owns the website. The website is funded through donations and online ads, as well as offering an “ad-free experience for a small fee.”

Analysis / Bias

American Thinker consists of two sections, one is articles and the other one is a blog. You can check out their archives Here.

In review, American Thinker uses strong emotionally loaded language in their headlines such as: “The Most Memorable Leftist Hypocrisies of 2017-8”. This article is authored by Robert Oscar Lopez who writes with extremely biased language: “The left is composed of horrible people. Most sane people realize this, even if they have friends on the dark side.” Another article with loaded wording is this one: “The Great Depression of 2019?” Although they utilize credible sources such as thebalance.com, CNBC, New York Times, The Guardian and factually mixed sources such as LifeZette, Wall Street Journal, Human Events.com, they also utilize questionable sources to back their claims, such as Breitbart and non-credible conservative blogs such as michaelsavage.com.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, American Thinker has published Anti-LGBT articles, as well as those by prominent white nationalist, Jared Taylor. Further, American Thinker routinely publishes conspiracy theories, such as those by Pamela Geller, who is also on the SPLC’s hate watch list due to anti-Islam positions: Report: Obama said ‘I Am a Muslim’, which has been debunked as a false claim. They have also promoted conspiracies about the Seth Rich Murder and they have published numerous articles that are not supportive of the consensus of science, such as this one: The Hoax of ‘Climate Change’

Failed Fact Checks

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’ – FALSE
The state of New Jersey is currently conducting, or plans to conduct, house-to-house confiscations of banned high-capacity gun magazines. – FALSE
Do statistics in a chain e-mail give an accurate “report card” of President Obama’s first two years? – MOSTLY FALSE
A group of Somali teenagers used hammers to physically attack and injure several passersby at a train station in Minneapolis in May 2019. – MOSTLY FALSE
“Sea level rise has been slow and a constant, pre-dating industrialization” – INACCURATE
Did the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confess to lying about COVID-19 death numbers? – FALSE
The AMA “reversed course”, now “giving the green light to doctors prescribing HCQ to their COVID patients.” – INACCURATE
Overall, we rate the American Thinker, Questionable based on extreme right-wing bias, promotion of conspiracy theories/pseudoscience, use of poor sources, and several failed fact checks. (7/18/2016) (M. Huitsing 12/23/2020)

Source: https://www.americanthinker.com
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

One great thing about the Cafe is that there is robust fact checking and questioning.
From reading this thread; masks will make it easier as there is so much agro about mask wearing ....... Forget about the skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by denimini » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:46 pm

One great thing about the Cafe is that there is robust fact checking and questioning.
From reading this thread; masks will make it easier as there is so much agro about mask wearing ....... Forget about the skirt.
"Forget about the skirt"??? :oops: That might be a step too far, but I'd rally around making genital exposure legal before a naked face during a respiratory pandemic! :P Elevate our morality a bit. Maybe a campaign for Jim! :D
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Forget about the skirt ..... ... Being an issue :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

Faldaguy wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:12 am ...
Failed Fact Checks

President Obama secretly signaled solidarity to African leaders at the White House using a Muslim hand gesture known as the ‘Shahada.’ – FALSE
It must be false - because it's a nonsense in principle. "Shahada" isn't "a Muslim hand gesture", but the basic Muslim creed. :)

By this I conclude this my post - because in the rules we are instructed to avoid discussions about religion, unless they relate to the wearing skirts, etc., and I don't want to be the cause of the continuation of this flamewar. Let us return, please, to the original subject of this thread - influence of wearing masks (or muzzles, if we want to use this word :) ) on wearing skirts etc. - if we still have something to say on the topic. Thanks.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

A mask can afford some measure of anonymity as I have been hailed by friends who I have known for a long time only to not recognise them at first with a mask on. So those that don't know us as well probably wouldn't recognise you at first since they are not used to seeing you in a mask.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.