Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by STEVIE »

I remember a comedy sketch about how vegans (or perhaps it was vegetarians) try to make tofu (and other things) taste like meat, but no one tries to make meat taste like tofu...
You have never tasted my wife's cooking, she manages without trying.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

denimini,

great find but...... that skirts a bit on the long side for you isn't it?

cheers
NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Fartoo long ... ..... And expensive
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have many skirts with fake pockets. Only on two occasions have I come across fake no pockets. Yes it happened to me today when I received a skirt that I had bought on eBay as a backup; identical to one of my favourite skirts being denim (true) with belt loops, hidden pockets in the side seams and rear zip. I tried it on and it fitted exactly as anticipated except when I went to put my hands in the pockets Dang! (US) Blimey! (UK) #***#** #** (Aus). There were "NO POCKETS". I felt a bit dissapointed until removing the skirt I could see pockets inside the skirt - they had been sewn over.
As old professor Julius Sumner Miller used to say "Why is it so?"
Was it a quick change in the styling department or did the previous owner have some cultural or religious belief about "Thou shalt not have receptacles for objects in thy clothing". It was even hard to tell if the stitching was original or added later.
Anyway I got out my trusty stitch picker and carefully got to work. There were no drugs sewn into the pockets so they were immediately servicable when I had finished.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 pmI felt a bit dissapointed until removing the skirt I could see pockets inside the skirt - they had been sewn over.
The sewing over (usually using a basting stitch) of pockets is frequently done to keep them from sagging and looking ratty when they're on the rack. This is especially prevalent for fairly high-end stuff, and frequently I find myself having to open the pockets on waistcoats when they're new.

So, not unusual.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

crfriend wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm
denimini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 pmI felt a bit dissapointed until removing the skirt I could see pockets inside the skirt - they had been sewn over.
The sewing over (usually using a basting stitch) of pockets is frequently done to keep them from sagging and looking ratty when they're on the rack. This is especially prevalent for fairly high-end stuff, and frequently I find myself having to open the pockets on waistcoats when they're new.

So, not unusual.
Yup, I've dealt with that on formal jackets and vests as well. I think one formal-ish skirt as well know that you mention it...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

denimini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 pm There were no drugs sewn into the pockets so they were immediately servicable when I had finished.
Have you had issues with this in the past?!?
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Dust wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:09 am
denimini wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:26 pm There were no drugs sewn into the pockets so they were immediately servicable when I had finished.
Have you had issues with this in the past?!?
I have heard of drugs being hidden in all sorts of other things.
I once bought a skirt from an op shop (thrift store) which had folded money in the pocket ........ which I gave to the op shop (they are for a good cause).
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:38 pm I wanted to try wearing a new-to-me skirt around the house today, but it lacks pockets. Here's my solution:

With elastic waist skirts without pockets, I've found it works well to wear the nail apron inside of the skirt when I want to look a little more formal but still have the pockets.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jim
Yeah, a simple but great solution to the problem.
To all intents and purposes that was what the Highland sporran was too.
I feel that I should know that logo on the apron but, for the life of me cannot place it.
Please tell and ease my old brain.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:54 pm I feel that I should know that logo on the apron but, for the life of me cannot place it.
Steve.
The logo is the same as the text, "Habitat for Humanity". It's a mostly volunteer effort to build or restore houses for those who otherwise couldn't afford it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

The print colours match too - excellent.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Jim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:16 pm

STEVIE wrote: ↑Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:54 am
I feel that I should know that logo on the apron but, for the life of me cannot place it.
Steve.
The logo is the same as the text, "Habitat for Humanity". It's a mostly volunteer effort to build or restore houses for those who otherwise couldn't afford it.
And a fitting connection it is; they work to put stuff in your pocket, not raid them.

Jimmy & Rosalynn Carter, Ex US President, was still volunteering on H4H project when 95 as they have for 35 or more years.

Also a great place for your handyman projects, their ReStore outlets offer a place to donate excess or used items; and bargains on buying bits and pieces. A charity building supply.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

This is certainly a way of making more of a feature of pockets: