OnlyMaker.Com

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: OnlyMaker.Com

Post by Mike »

Kirbstone wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:17 pm Yes, Mike at 6'5" in your bare feet I thought you could do with a lift!

How did you get back from your flight of a few months ago?

Tom
It went great. Today I'm headed to Hilton Head Island for the week. Nothing but skirts and dresses packed!

And yes, those heels will come in handy for changing light bulbs!! :lol:
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
steamman

Post by steamman »

If I am wearing heels, I don’t wear anything lower than 5 inches. Most of my heels are between 6 and 7 inches but with platforms, thus an effective heel height between 4 and 4.5 inch which is comfortable. Once you get used to the height, you don’t really think about it. I do think skirts and heels are an awesome combination!
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

steamman wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:44 am If I am wearing heels, I don’t wear anything lower than 5 inches. Most of my heels are between 6 and 7 inches but with platforms, thus an effective heel height between 4 and 4.5 inch which is comfortable. Once you get used to the height, you don’t really think about it. I do think skirts and heels are an awesome combination!
I'm the polar opposite. I rarely wear anything over three inches on my outings these days. My idea of comfort since I spend a good amount of time walking and standing comes from wearing lower heights and I believe they're stylish in their own right.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I think heels work well with a skirt because they elongate the leg and make the foot look smaller.

I don't wear over 5 inches at all much - I wear 4's a great deal - 5's or the 130mm heel particularly are as high as I can go without a platform - but thats for special events - not heels I would want to spend hours on my feet in.

I think it depends on your foot size as to what you find comfortable etc. There are so many variations of style of heel, height thereof, colours, straps etc that there are shoes to suit everyone! Thats what I appreciate about womens shoes so much.

Ironically I fond lower heels more treacherous than higher ones - I have had many more near accidents/falls in 1-2 inch heels than in 4-5 inches. By accidents I mean just sliding on a perfectly flat smooth floor while walking along - thats the most common issue I have on slick floors like dept stores - and I always have more near accidents in lower heels.

I have worn heels for years with skirts - the most important thing is to have shoes that you like - and you are comfortable in - comfortable physically and also comfortable in that you like being looked at in them - with both these attributes sorted you have a winning shoe. Often the shoes one might aspire to wear are not comfortable on all levels - and that is a common issue with choosing heels.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well the shoes I ordered on Dec 20, 2020 finally arrived today.
First off they smell like gasoline (petrol to some of you) and it is over powering.
Second they sent the wrong size and they don't fit. They have a place in the US to send returns to but the price to send them back is more than they are worth.
Thirdly Don't waste your money buying from them...

The shoes look pretty but are shoddily made and the smell is not going away any time soon. When I opened the package my entire house smelled like spilled gasoline.

Just thought you all would like to know my experience with Only Maker shoes..... :evil: :x
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:40 pm Well the shoes I ordered on Dec 20, 2020 finally arrived today.
First off they smell like gasoline (petrol to some of you) and it is over powering.
... and the smell is not going away any time soon. When I opened the package my entire house smelled like spilled gasoline.
Latex-based adhesives often use benzine or toluene as a solvent, that can smell like stale petrol for a day or two but is usually entirely gone within a week.

A pair of slippers I bought from LIDL a few years ago stank as though something had died in them -- but only after I had been wearing them for a while.  The explanations made by my friends were not appreciated.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

pelmut wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:48 pmLatex-based adhesives often use benzine or toluene as a solvent, that can smell like stale petrol for a day or two but is usually entirely gone within a week.

A pair of slippers I bought from LIDL a few years ago stank as though something had died in them -- but only after I had been wearing them for a while.  The explanations made by my friends were not appreciated.
It took them almost a month from when they were shipped before I received them and they still smell as bad. I followed the tracking from china to my door, they would sit in some areas for a week or so and then go to someplace else and sit.. So they should not have had any odor when they arrived at my door.
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Put 'em on the porch for a week and see what they smell like after that. Just don't put 'em on the porch in the original box.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:18 am Put 'em on the porch for a week and see what they smell like after that. Just don't put 'em on the porch in the original box.
They don't fit! It would not be worth the time and besides I don't have a porch that has a roof over it and we are in the rainy season. No, I am just going to donate them to the Salvation Army clothes drive, costs too much to try to go through the pain to send them back.

Lesson learned.....
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:55 am
crfriend wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:18 am Put 'em on the porch for a week and see what they smell like after that. Just don't put 'em on the porch in the original box.
They don't fit! It would not be worth the time and besides I don't have a porch that has a roof over it and we are in the rainy season. No, I am just going to donate them to the Salvation Army clothes drive, costs too much to try to go through the pain to send them back.

Lesson learned.....
Sorry to hear your experience with that company was a bust.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 am Sorry to hear your experience with that company was a bust.
If you do not try you will not know. I tried and now I know. Finding shoes that fit by mail order is not the way to go. Where I live finding shoes that fit in person is not very easy either.. There are times when I wish I did live in a large city like Philly or New York. So I will just keep trying and maybe I will find some that do fit.. :lol:
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:33 pm
JeffB1959 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:55 am Sorry to hear your experience with that company was a bust.
If you do not try you will not know. I tried and now I know. Finding shoes that fit by mail order is not the way to go. Where I live finding shoes that fit in person is not very easy either.. There are times when I wish I did live in a large city like Philly or New York. So I will just keep trying and maybe I will find some that do fit.. :lol:
Well, finding women's shoes in larger sizes is a crapshoot E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E. Since I wear a 13, I got lucky thanks to Payless because other brick and mortar stores like DSW for example barely go up to 12 and, in some locations, not even that high. Online searching isn't all that much better either, Zappos is a decent resource, but their styles are not just limited, but uninspiring in terms of style, but, on the flip side, there's resources that specialize in stripper junk which I dislike. I feel like Indiana Jones searching for the Holy Grail of stylish and tasteful shoes in larger sizes, and it's an ongoing hunt.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Fred - thanks for sharing your experience. Kinda wish I hadn't flagged the company up now :(

Not been on here in a while but I seem to remember another site I'd mentioned some time back (for skirts) turned out to be a duffer as well.

I think I'll only mention companies where I have a query or where I have sampled their goods in the future.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

FranTastic444 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:10 pm Fred - thanks for sharing your experience. Kinda wish I hadn't flagged the company up now :(
Not been on here in a while but I seem to remember another site I'd mentioned some time back (for skirts) turned out to be a duffer as well.
I think I'll only mention companies where I have a query or where I have sampled their goods in the future.
Do not stop flagging sites for clothing it is the only way we have of finding ones that we like. Buying anything on the internet is iffy at best. You can not get to try on clothes to see if they fit or to see how they look on you without having to return then if they don't fit. Returning can be an expensive problem if the company does not offer free returns. One of the sites I shop at often does not offer free returns you do returns with a prepaid label that they deduct from your refund, or you just pay postage upfront when you send it back.. This has cost me a fair amount over the years until I go to know just how they size everything.