Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by JeffB1959 »

denimini wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:25 am A funny thing happened today. I recieved a mini skirt in the mail and got home, tried it on, a tiered, frilly little number, and then got distracted with stuff on the computer. Later I could hear voices and went out to investigate; it was a couple of workers who came to replace a water meter that wasn't registering (damn) and wanted to know where it was. They were extremely apologetic about disturbing me which I shrugged off with "that's OK". It wasn't until I was walking back to the house that I realised that I was still wearing the new frilly mini skirt, then reflected on the fact that they were so apologetic.
No big deal, eh? That's good, and should be what we all strive to achieve.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

Yesterday in the evening, I was speaking a bit with a friend who did not know about me wearing skirts, when I did told him the evening when 3 people did come at my home when I was in a skirt. His first reaction was to ask "did you become scottish?" or something like that. After what we discussed about a few things related to "how to choose the right skirt", pockets problems, etc. But never any remark about gendered things. And I liked the way he said "There must be a lot of wind in the legs. That's why I don't wear skirt", that was funny :D
victor1964
Member Extraordinaire

Post by victor1964 »

Had an Diabetic retinopathy eye test earlier in the week at a local medical centre. Driving was out of the question as the drops put in you eyes to dilate the pupils cause blurred vision so my wife dropped me off and then a bus home afterwards.

Was wearing a calf length straight denim skirt with a front (quite high) split, winter jumper and trainers. As I went in for part 1 "the drops" i saw the nurse do a double take on my skirt but she said nothing. Back to the waiting room to wait for the drops to take effect then I called for part 2, the actual examination. While having my retina photos taken the nurse... "excuse me for asking but is that a skirt you're wearing?" Yes, I replied. You could almost hear the cogs going round, after a long pause... "sorry but I have to ask..., why?" I just replied "because I like them.." then followed a discussion on skirts.
"do you always wear that length", "no"
"what, you wear short skirts too?", "yes"
"but not pleated ones surely?", "yes I do, i actually like pleated skirts and have a number of them, denim ones are my favourite"
"do you wear dresses too", "no, they are not for me. I have tried them though"
"what shoes do you wear?", "trainers most of the time"
"what about heels?", "occasionally but I can't say they are for me, I like my flats"
She then proceeds to tell me how cool it is and she wished more men had the confidence to wear what they wanted.
I showed her photos of me in short skirts and wearing heels and she commented that I had nice legs and nice feet!

Was a pleasant conversation and she was genuinely interested.

Waiting for the bus home the nurse arrives at the stop to go home (apparently I was her last patient), we get the same bus and the conversation continued about my skirt wearing, it was a busy bus and other people must have been listening in, she had quite a loud voice lol.

That evening, feeling good after the days conversation, I thought i would try on a dress I had bought from ebay the week before and show MOH. I don't do dresses normally but liked the look of this one and it was cheap so I thought 'why not'. What I didn't realise is that it was totally backless, in addition the dress material was striped with a sheer material meaning you could see the outline of what I was wearing underneath it. Best pants and hold up stockings to complete the look.

Then the nervous parade to show MOH, The response was unexpected, "Wow, that looks gorgeous", I pressed on a bit "the dress or me?", "both!"

Just goes to show how a normal day can turn into a great day!
dress.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gardevoir

Post by Gardevoir »

That's an amazing story, Victor! I'm glad to hear it went well. The general trend I'm seeing from posts like this is that skirts have this tendency to turn ordinary events into memorable ones in many situations.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Great story there, Victor. It was nice how you satisfied the curiosity of that nurse about your attire. And that led to a dress purchase to boot, I wear them myself and love how they look on me, be it with heels or flats. Well done!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Great story Victor. :D
It's really encouraging for us other guys in skirts that you received such a high level of approval.

Like you, I'm yet to be fully convinced about wearing a dress out in public.
I bought a navy blue, corduroy pinafore dress recently but still don't feel comfortable in my mind, wearing it out and about together with my usual medium support tights and heels. I have in fact tried the dress out and about on several occasions.
I'm perfectly happy being out in public in a skirt together with the other items (plus a neutral type of shirt/top).
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Guys
I rethought my reply to this thread.
Skirt or dress, broadly speaking it doesn't make much of a difference. I am damn sure that you were all beyond your comfort zones when you first went out in a skirt.
I certainly was and then discovered that the world generally doesn't actually care. Those who notice still will and the rest won't.
The garment doesn't make much difference unless it is particularly conspicuous or flamboyant. Solid dark colour pinafores do not come under that definition.
The main point is to take a deep breath, relax and enjoy.
I had on a pale grey woollen knitted dress yesterday and that garnered a compliment too. It was teamed with burgundy tights and tan ankle boots. I have a full beard and until not so long ago I would have been smoking a pipe as well.
That combination did get me noticed. I am sure it was the pipe because it reminded folks of their Grandads.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Victor that is a wonderful story. I too at one time would not even think about wearing a dress even at home. Now I wear them as well as my skirts everywhere. I enjoy them as they make it easier to coordinate the colors and styles. I have an off green shirt dress that buttons down the front and has sleeves that can be worn down or up. Since they are 3/4 sleeves I usually wear them up. I remember the first time I wore it out It was just like the first time I wore a skirt out but now it is just routine to either wear a dress or a skirt. Most of the time I am not wearing anything from the men's side of the store except for shoes as it is impossible to find shoes my size in the ladies.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Two weeks ago, for the first time since ditching my previous collection (you can read about that in another thread) I bought a skirt - brown dyed denim, knee length with an inverted V-shaped notch at the left knee.

I decided to try it out last Saturday. Due to previously documented spousal resistance, I set off as usual in black value kilt, green kilt sticks, black turtle neck under a green jumper, to deliver chicken dinners. I got a couple a queries about my Kilt, to which I replied that I like the feeling of freedom.

After my second delivery, I availed myself of the public convenience in Dunbar and whilst there did a quick change. The remaining deliveries were done skirted, as was personal shopping in Tesco North Berwick. No comments at all, as expected.

To avoid aggravation when I got home, I reversed my change of clothes in the car - much easier with a lot than trousers.

In January, we have a month off work - a precautionary measure to forestall impending burnout. I hope in that time to initiate a conversation about MIS, with a view to finding a solution that offers some accommodation to both sides.

If I'm feeling brave, my response to the question, "what would you like for your birthday [1]?" May be, "how about a nice skirt?"

[1] 5 January
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I wear skirts so often to work, or to the bar, or to friends houses, or with family, I don't even think to tell the stories. It's just become natural for me. As pantyhose did years ago. Now I'm starting to work heels into the routine. Still kinda shy about that...so far. The only demons are mine, and I just have to put them at bay!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm I wear skirts so often to work, or to the bar, or to friends houses, or with family, I don't even think to tell the stories. It's just become natural for me. As pantyhose did years ago. Now I'm starting to work heels into the routine. Still kinda shy about that...so far. The only demons are mine, and I just have to put them at bay!
Feel free to share more experiences. What was said if anything on each visit?
I have worn my kilts, both a traditional and utility kilt to my friends house I think traditional 2 times and utility kilt 3 times.
Every time his wife asks what's the occasion? I usually just shrugged it off with a it was hot today, no reason, Just felt like it. It's my birthday (it was actually my birthday on the one visit.)

My friend just calls me kilt man once or twice, then moves on with the visit like nothing is out of the ordinary.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

mishawakaskirt wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 pm Every time his wife asks what's the occasion? I usually just shrugged it off with a it was hot today, no reason, Just felt like it. It's my birthday (it was actually my birthday on the one visit.)
I often get the same question, and usually reply that I enjoy the sense of freedom.

People also ask, "aren't you cold?" I reply that, if the body is warm, a bit of cold air around the knees doesn't matter.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

greenboots wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:29 pm
People also ask, "aren't you cold?" I reply that, if the body is warm, a bit of cold air around the knees doesn't matter.
I got that question a few times last winter when for the first time I went most days through winter in a mini skirt. My answer was similar "If my body is warm I am OK". I used to justify (rarely needed) my skirt wearing with "It is cool and comfortable" which loses it's credence in winter, however I have got over justifying along those lines and now reply simply (and obviously) "It is what I like to wear" or "They are great to wear".
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
nzfreestyler
Member Extraordinaire

Post by nzfreestyler »

I get the 'oh my aren't you cold?' a lot and I think its sort of an attempt to say something to acknowledge my skirt....

NZF
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

nzfreestyler wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:25 am I get the 'oh my aren't you cold?' a lot and I think its sort of an attempt to say something to acknowledge my skirt....

NZF
Funny, I never get that comment in summer :lol:
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia