They've been at it again

Discuss recent changes, make suggestions, etc.
crfriend
Master Barista

They've been at it again

Post by crfriend »

Well, the boys over at phpBB have spun another release (3.2.11) and I'm going to implement it here once I prove my new technique in my lab at home. This is mainly security-related stuff and general code-hardening so there should be no user-facing differences of any magnitude.

I'll flag a date when I figure some more things out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: They've been at it again

Post by Fred in Skirts »

crfriend wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm Well, the boys over at phpBB have spun another release (3.2.11) and I'm going to implement it here once I prove my new technique in my lab at home. This is mainly security-related stuff and general code-hardening so there should be no user-facing differences of any magnitude.

I'll flag a date when I figure some more things out.
Oh yeah just what we need another version up-grade.. :(
I just hope it is an easy one for you to do. Without causing us grief here in the great land of nowhere else. :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:51 pmOh yeah just what we need another version up-grade.. :(
I just hope it is an easy one for you to do. Without causing us grief here in the great land of nowhere else. :lol: :lol:
I haven't had an up-close look at it in operation yet, but there are no substantial changes that will require massive re-working like some of the others.

Film, as they say, at 23:00.
Skaterboy

Post by Skaterboy »

Is it possible to enable reactions to posts on this platform? It would be nice to 'like' posts and such like (just to show you're paying attention!) without having to think of something to add!
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Skaterboy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:17 am Is it possible to enable reactions to posts on this platform? It would be nice to 'like' posts and such like (just to show you're paying attention!) without having to think of something to add!
I'd like that. Another phpBB forum I frequent has a heart icon at the bottom right of each post and a count of how many people have clicked it, so it's certainly possible with this platform.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

And some other add-on for Carl to maintain, not to say program in the first place! If it's something simple to develop then fair enough. Any of you out there prepared to do the development for him? Put your fingers where your mouth is and ease some pressure on the "old man". :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:45 pm And some other add-on for Carl to maintain, not to say program in the first place! If it's something simple to develop then fair enough. Any of you out there prepared to do the development for him? Put your fingers where your mouth is and ease some pressure on the "old man". :lol:
I pity the poor soul that gets Carl upset over what the board does or does not. The job of maintaining this board is not easy even for someone with Carl's qualifications. If someone out there in the Cafe has the ability to code this then do it and send the code to Carl after proving it to be with out fault. I did not like this version as it did away with a few things I liked about the last full version that was being used when I joined. How ever I have done my best to learn how to use this version even with it's faults (faults that I don't like but are part of the version).
So if you want something to change, then learn how to do it and help make the changes and be prepared to accept the flack from those who do not like the change... :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:03 pmI pity the poor soul that gets Carl upset over what the board does or does not. The job of maintaining this board is not easy even for someone with Carl's qualifications.
At issue is more the fact that I have multiple competing priorities, one of which is work which is an EMITEE [1] problem. I'm rather badly burnt out on that count.

On the "like" button... I regard bits like that as trite and only effective for somebody who doesn't want to do anything other than drool on a button, Farcebook style -- and the farther this place is from Farcebook the better in my book.

I also recall the stick I got the last time I fiddled with things a bit (the analogue clock) and wound up frustrated with it and finally turned it off so I wouldn't have to respond to the complaints. It still runs in my lab, which itself in in serious flux now as Dead Hat has killed off support for the version of Linux I was running on a couple of key machines here, so now it involves new hardware, a double-upgrade to the baseline OS (along with everything else), and an entire rejigging of pretty much the entire tool-stack.

I suspect the "like" thing is available as a "mod" (modification) via a package, but the problem with those is that they have to move along in sync with the main code-base. It'd also be "one more thing" I have to worry about each and every time the main code-base moves -- because if it stops working there'll be a lynch-mob after my neck.
I did not like this version as it did away with a few things I liked about the last full version that was being used when I joined. How ever I have done my best to learn how to use this version even with it's faults (faults that I don't like but are part of the version).
There are a few "styles" available, including one that mimics pretty well the old "Subsilver" style -- and that's the one I use. That may be part of your problem as upgrades tend to reset everybody which is one of the reasons I trive to give ample warning in advance that something's coming.

[1] "Everything More Important Than Everything Else"-- a condition is which proper prioritisation becomes impossible and eventually all useful work stops -- which is then held against one come review time.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by crfriend » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:27 pm

On the "like" button... I regard bits like that as trite and only effective for somebody who doesn't want to do anything other than drool on a button, Farcebook style -- and the farther this place is from Farcebook the better in my book.
Pretty much my sentiments too. I'm a weird guy, wearing skirts, so we know that; but, neither do I do social media -- unless this site is considered such. I have serious concerns about the FB world. I think it is contributing to our inability to communicate in a genuine and fruitful way. It is certainly part of the many emerging problems in the media. 'Like all things, it's not all bad. FB, Zoom, and the like have made coping with a pandemic easier, and I like that. However, the "Like" world has some inherent issues on how it impacts our psychological state; and it is has been monetized as well. Aside from the impact on our dopamine levels, that we seem to like the costs to a functioning society are pretty high. Google on the psychology of FB likes or some such and you'll get lots of interesting reads. For this site, I favor keeping it simple, wholesome, and full of thoughtful discussion rather than assuaging our our penchant for easy liking! Forgive the sloppy double entendre quips -- I don't like likes!
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 pm On the "like" button... I regard bits like that as trite and only effective for somebody who doesn't want to do anything other than drool on a button, Farcebook style -- and the farther this place is from Farcebook the better in my book.
I don't do facebook, but I admit I've changed my mind a bit here. At work in Teams you have a number of reactions you can attach to a post. And they have turned out to be very useful shortcuts for saying "acknowledged", "agree", "funny", etc... Saves a lot of useless one line messages like "shocking", "agreed", "haha" or "will do".

However, for this forum the only one I can think that would be useful is "haha" since sometimes people say humorous things but it seems overkill to post a whole message just to indicate I found it funny.
Spirou003
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Spirou003 »

rode_kater wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:02 pm
crfriend wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:27 pm On the "like" button... I regard bits like that as trite and only effective for somebody who doesn't want to do anything other than drool on a button, Farcebook style -- and the farther this place is from Farcebook the better in my book.
I don't do facebook, but I admit I've changed my mind a bit here. At work in Teams you have a number of reactions you can attach to a post. And they have turned out to be very useful shortcuts for saying "acknowledged", "agree", "funny", etc... Saves a lot of useless one line messages like "shocking", "agreed", "haha" or "will do".

However, for this forum the only one I can think that would be useful is "haha" since sometimes people say humorous things but it seems overkill to post a whole message just to indicate I found it funny.
Totally true! (And my message is a proof of that :D)