Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
hiddenheels

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by hiddenheels »

Hello!

Been busy, haven't been around here for the past few months, and am not sure what frequency I'll be able to manage to visit here. Just very little time...

Over the past few months, have stopped by second-hand stores (and others) quite a few times, and have bought more skirts than I should have, but I'm still somewhat figuring out the styles I like, and the sizing, so some purchases haven't worked out, but most have. There are some styles I still haven't been able to track down, specifically pleated mini skirts seem to be very difficult to find right now? And I don't want to drop a bunch of $ on a skirt when I might be able to buy it for a 10th of the price. Have found a few stores with really cheap skirts, in the 5-10$ range, brand new.

As for outings, have taken advantage of opportunities whenever possible. A few trips come to mind:
- Went shopping in a mall a few times, once in a white denim mini, and another time in a blue denim mini. Getting out of the car seems to be difficult still, but getting easier. Each visit was maybe an hour long, and included checking out stores with skirts, browsing through them. Buying gifts, mundane stuff (if you call browsing skirts, while wearing one, mundane).
- Wanted to go to a coffee shop in a mini, drove to the store, sat in the car, and never ended up going in. Drove to another coffee shop, and repeated the same thing. Came home while consoling myself, and working on not being hard on myself. The following day though, put on a white denim mini (love this!), dark red shirt, brown jacket and shoes, and went shopping at a mall. The shopping experience, about an hour, made up for it the coffee shop experience.
- Went to a few second hand stores in a mini. Quick visits, but I was in a rush.
- Not a skirt, but wore long jeans and heels at a few stores.

Still working through the initial difficulties, but I think it's getting easier. Overall, I think I tried on my first skirt about 8 months ago, so am quite happy with the progress. I'm now thinking about swapping out my guy-shoes for something with a bit of a heel on them, and maybe something to cover up my hairy legs, which I might try to shave, but that has its own challenges (making sure the family is happy). Overall, pushing my boundaries still...

Not a single comment from anyone. Maybe a few odd looks, but if I saw a guy wearing skirts then I would also would probably look a bit more than I should...
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Hiddenheels, it sounds like plenty of progresss is being made on many fronts.
It is good to experiment with styles and buying from thrift stores won't bust the bank. Once you settle on a style, you could try eBay for something more specific, like a pleated mini. I find picclick a good way of browzing eBay quickly, I don't know your location but you can choose country (top, far right) and category (skirts), then keywords (pleated mini). The first search I use sort by price, lowest first and usually drop out well before the end. Subsequent searches I sort by recently listed so that I am not scrolling through the same items again.
https://picclick.com.au/Clothing-Shoes- ... U%22%7D%7D
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Hola Hiddenheels;

I with Denimini, progress indeed and congratulations -- all your feelings are pretty much normal and familiar as many of us made our entry to regular or full-time skirting. It will just keep getting easier. I differ on the "once you settle on a style" in so far as a style may seem to fit for a while or provide comfort, being open to and trying other styles will not only broaden your wardrobe options, it will increase your comfort level all around. It may seem counter-intuitive, but venturing out in something a bit more 'daring' than you've worn before quickly adds to your confidence and awareness that few other folks care what you wear. Sure, you can get 'wild' and draw a few more glances, even stares (often subdued admiration) -- but the experience whether it is a style that you retain or not, will add to your sense of confidence as a whole human being not subject to other's judgment.

Glad to hear it is going well.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out shopping in Cheddar and Wells wearing a red check mini-skirt, grey shirt, black tights and black boots.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

While working in the garden wearing my utilitykilt, my neighbour came over as she had a problem with her washing machine. What other to do but help a lady in distress, so I went over and fixed her washing machine. No comments whatsoever on my attire.

A few days later I was presented a dried sausage by her as token of thanks. She had visited the local market earlier that morning.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

We are back to staying in as much as we can, as the number of Covid-19 cases is rising again. Only a few weeks ago my wife and I were enjoying a drive in the New England countryside, and the fall colors, and stopped for lunch at a café with outdoor service. Weather was pleasantly warm. I was wearing a knit straight skirt, just above the knee, with a short-sleeve polo shirt. The next week, another nice day, lunch outdoors at the local brew-restaurant, warm enough to enjoy a couple of Berliner-Weisse-style drafts, and again to be comfortable in short sleeves and an above-the-knee pencil skirt, in black denim. No objection from the wife either time, and no particular attention from others. I think the more she notices that my skirts don't draw any unfavorable comment, the more accepting she is, if not particularly enthusiastic.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Various errands yesterday morning then shopping afternoon, with my wife, wearing black value kilt with black hose (socks, not tights - though I sometimes do that as well). Lady in Marks and Spencer commented "I'm loving the kilt. My children are wearing theirs today."

Also positive comments in Tesco. I made sure to thank them and point them out to my wife.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by KenCT » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:18 pm
No objection from the wife either time, and no particular attention from others. I think the more she notices that my skirts don't draw any unfavorable comment, the more accepting she is, if not particularly enthusiastic.
y greenboots » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:46 am

Various errands yesterday morning then shopping afternoon, with my wife, wearing black value kilt with black hose (socks, not tights - though I sometimes do that as well). Lady in Marks and Spencer commented "I'm loving the kilt. My children are wearing theirs today."

Also positive comments in Tesco. I made sure to thank them and point them out to my wife.
Be it guys reluctant to step out in their skirts; or wives and S.O.'s holding you back...these comments just keep substantiating that few bother to notice and if they do, it is often with approval or admiration; and it does give you or anyone with/near you an increasing degree of comfort -- so setting up circumstances, whereby the reluctant can see first hand that little if any derision ever results helps grow confidence and support. Pretty soon your wives will be helping you with your fashion choices! Just wait till you both covet the same skirt!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Faldaguy
Even though I am working from home at the moment, I still make a point of dressing and going out every day.
Truth is that my skirts have been commonplace to so many people that they are largely unnoticed.
As to my other half, that gives her no reassurance at all. In her mind everyone else is wrong thinking and that her disapproval is the only correct way,
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have had a weeks holiday and have worn a skirt the majority of the time with few comments from her. I think that she expects me to wear a skirt now. But not out of the house. Because our store has been forced to close because of CV I have two days in store this week filling shelves and tidying and then am being seconded to the call centre working from home. Needless to say when at home I will be wearing a skirt whenever possible. And I think that my wife is expecting it. Now if only I could get her to take the next step ....
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As I've said before, I'm always skirted at work, usually dresses. The museum where I work is in Downtown Portland where, like a lot of cities, there are plenty of the homeless camped out. What draws so many of these unfortunate souls to the vicinity is that we have a park that stretches for several blocks across the street.

Between the way I dress, my longish hair and my face mask ... well, anything can happen. For starters, one of the street denizens took to calling me "Miss Pretty Legs." I took it as a compliment and didn't take the time to correct him on misidentifying my sex. Heck, if it brightens his day to get away with making such ... an old school remark, who am I to argue with him?

Recently, we've had a couple scattered days of sunshine, which at this time of year can be a cause for celebration. Our street people celebrate by dragging their chairs to the parking lot I use so they can sun themselves. This week we had a couple such days nearly back to back so they had plenty of time to watch the world go by. With that much time on their hands I suspect I became an object of speculation because a member of that group walked all the way across the lot, pretending to be going somewhere around the corner. He revealed his true intention when he retraced his steps and made a point of asking how I was doing this morning.

Without any malice or forethought I assured him I was doing just fine in my richest baritone voice (I sing tenor and occasionally drift into the sopranos line).

His parting words were "Ho! Ho! Ho!"

But not like Santa would say it; more like he couldn't wait to get back to his buddies to score the day's blue ribbon for best topic of conversation.

I mean, hey, if I gave them something more upbeat -- or even other than -- to discuss than how soon the cops would sweep them off the streets, that's a good thing!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Today wore a Utility kilt for the first time in maybe two years, was waiting for the Bank to open with a couple also waiting. The woman opened the conversation by saying her friend always wears a kilt but she had never seen one with pockets, I then explained the difference between a traditional Scottish kilt and a more modern Utility kilt. I have found that people will comment on a kilt but never in my experience on a skirt!

John
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by john62 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Today wore a Utility kilt for the first time in maybe two years, was waiting for the Bank to open with a couple also waiting. The woman opened the conversation by saying her friend always wears a kilt but she had never seen one with pockets, I then explained the difference between a traditional Scottish kilt and a more modern Utility kilt. I have found that people will comment on a kilt but never in my experience on a skirt!
Maybe it is because they are so dang uncomfortable they must be men's wear! I mentioned before I was at the eye center of Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland with my wife earlier this year when the nurse asked if what I was wearing was a kilt? When I replied it was just a skirt, she was kind of stopped in her tracks for a moment, then commented that she had to call it a kilt because the other guys got upset when she noted a skirt. So, again--the problem seems to be in our heads, not the public about us.

Even though I rarely wear anything that resembles a kilt, I certainly get more comments when in one of those, than my more obviously skirt skirts. All have been positive in either case-- but indeed folks find it easier to acknowledge MIK than MIS. Now, if we could just get those MIK telling folks it is just another style of skirt :clap: -- perhaps some more progress would be made.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

A funny thing happened today. I recieved a mini skirt in the mail and got home, tried it on, a tiered, frilly little number, and then got distracted with stuff on the computer. Later I could hear voices and went out to investigate; it was a couple of workers who came to replace a water meter that wasn't registering (damn) and wanted to know where it was. They were extremely apologetic about disturbing me which I shrugged off with "that's OK". It wasn't until I was walking back to the house that I realised that I was still wearing the new frilly mini skirt, then reflected on the fact that they were so apologetic.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

john62 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:55 am I have found that people will comment on a kilt but never in my experience on a skirt!
Yes, exactly my experience.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.