FINALLY... a vaccine is ready!

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

FINALLY... a vaccine is ready!

Post by moonshadow »

97514921bbff09cc96e5fc16e59aa0b8.jpg
Step right up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Re: FINALLY... a vaccine is ready!

Post by Faldaguy »

Snake Oil has long been profitable. :wink:
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Seriously though, apart from a few small pockets in dictator-controlled third world areas, Medicine has conquered Meningitis, Polio, diphtheria and other nasty infectious diseases through mass vaccinations against them. Nowadays these are administered in early childhood, so people take them for granted and many don't even think of them.

With the timely arrival of really effective vaccines against Covid, mass vaccination is the only way to go, so we can fill our shops, pubs, restaurants stadia, theatres and concert halls again, also travel when and where we like. I expect some form of universally recognised verification will also be necessary, because of the media misinformed uncooperative tide, no doubt in part fuelled by Trumpoholism.

Perhaps a passport stamp or credit card-sized certificate might be evolved. It's early days yet, but the Bojos, Bidens & Merkels of this World will have to get their heads together on this one, and soon.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
rode_kater
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rode_kater »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:29 am I expect some form of universally recognised verification will also be necessary, because of the media misinformed uncooperative tide, no doubt in part fuelled by Trumpoholism.
For decades we've had universally recognised vaccination certificates, those tatty yellow cardboard thingies buried somewhere in a drawer, only ever retrieved when travelling to some foreign countries. I wonder if they'll just add it to those, or whether we'll invent some digitised version for on your phone.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Interestingly, after we get over this Covid business there's another limiter on the horizon as regards transportation ( and coming at us rather alarming rate ) in the banning of diesel/petrol engines. Over this side of the pond [0] it's scheduled for 2030 even though there are insufficient charging points by a large margin and about two thirds of current drivers wouldn't be able to afford an electrically powered car even allowing for price reductions due to economies of mass production. Add to that the uncertainty of obtaining the scarce materials t manufacture the batteries ( and process used batteries ) in huge quantities. Apply this to the mass transportation afforded by air transportation and there's a lot of ground to cover in a short space of time.

[0] I don't know what other governments have decided on all this. I suspect that their targets, assuming that they have set them, are further away.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Kirbstone wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:29 am I expect some form of universally recognised verification will also be necessary, because of the media misinformed uncooperative tide, no doubt in part fuelled by Trumpoholism.
They'll have to tread lightly on that here stateside. Such a maneuver is guaranteed to trigger "mark of the beast, endtimes" nonsense.

If Trump were half a leader, He'd encourage His flock to vaccinate, even if it takes place after January. They'll listen to Him. Hell, I'd say His base would tattoo a barcode on their foreheads if Trump recommended it.

In other matters, I still have my H1N1 vaccination card around here somewhere, carried it in my billfold for a few years, now I happen upon it once in a while, stuffed in a drawer or box out of the way..
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I try and keep up with vaccinations. Some we only have once, some have to be renewed every 5 or 10 years. We get an automated text message now when ours is due. The only one I have resisted until this year has been the fly one. Previously after the jab I would get all the symptoms of flu so I figured that I would just take my chances, after aCll it hasn't killed me yet. So far it's been about 4 weeks since the jab and apart from some soreness in the arm I've been fine. I got it this year because a doctor, whose opinion I valued, told me that as a diabetic I am more vulnerable and getting the flu and ovid together would probably kill me. So I have erred on the side of caution.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I generally take a flu shot every year, and so far have never had any reaction as a result of it, other than a slightly sore upper arm around the injection point for a day or two.

As for a covid vaccine, I don't object to taking one, but I don't plan to be the first in line. Which, from the looks of it, I won't be (by mandate), in fact I'd say I'd be among the last to get one.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:56 pmI generally take a flu shot every year, and so far have never had any reaction as a result of it, other than a slightly sore upper arm around the injection point for a day or two.
I don't generally get a flu vaccination, mainly because I tend not to be in places where I'd be likely to catch it. For instance, if I was still doing what I did in the 1980s, I'd definitely get vaccinated now. I used to be on the Boston central metro a lot and spent a surprising amount of time feeling ill or merely "off" (hangovers notwithstanding). When I switched over to commuting by commuter rail my health got a lot better, and now that I'm out in the distant 'burbs it's been excellent. I think I've only been sick once in the past five years, and that was likely just a bad head-cold.
As for a covid vaccine, I don't object to taking one, but I don't plan to be the first in line. Which, from the looks of it, I won't be (by mandate), in fact I'd say I'd be among the last to get one.
I'm not opposed at all, but it's going to come down to availability and cost -- and you can rest assured that in the for-profit world of medicine and health care in the USA there is going to be a significant price-tag associated with the vaccine. I hope anybody that got that $600 "stimulus" payment from the US government saved it, because that's likely to the cost per regimen. And we still have no data on the long-term efficacy of the thing. There's also the problem of availability. It's not going to be available to "little people" for quite a while, so we'll just have to wait and hope.

For things like this, I am a firm believer in mandatory vaccination. That's how we almost wiped polio from the face of the planet, and we nearly got measles as well. However, in the US I am of a view that's becoming increasingly unpopular as the population goes down the paths of pseudo-science and wishful thinking. That's the root of the "anti-vaxers" [0] movement, and which is why we occasionally get fairly serious outbreaks of these eminently-preventable diseases that cause all sorts of trouble. "Vaccines cause autism!" is the current cry -- in spite of not one whit of credible evidence to back it up.

[0] Even though the VAX computer is not my favourite (it's a broad-tailed Bronx Shirley of a pdp-11), I wouldn't consider myself "anti-VAX".
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Carl. pay for the COVID vaccine? Perish the thought! Not a cat's chance of that. The jabs will be foc over here on the NHS. I suppose that's one advantage of having a decent Health Service. :D If we were to be charged then that would mean that there would be some that would refuse [0]. From what has been said the recipients would be split into tiers:
1. >= 90 and those with serious underlying problems
2. 80 - <= 90 and those with less serious underlying problems
3. 70 - <= 80
4. 60 - <= 70
and so on.

The operation to dole out the flu jabs was very slick with each one given a 5 minute time slot and done in a lot less than that. I expect that the COVID dole out would be no less so once it gets going.

We've been told that there will be no exceptions and the jab can't be bought. [1]

[0] There probably will be anyway but that number would be smaller.
[1] Yeah, if you believe in that one then you do believe that Trump won by millions of votes.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

It has been about forty years or more since I've had a flu shot. I was always in line for one and with in a few days of the shot I would be bed ridden with the worse case of the flu my doctor had seen. So I decided not to take the shot and that year I did not get the flu and I then decided that I was not going to take flu shots ever again. And in the years following I have had the flu only a few times and it was just a little worse than a bad cold.. I was not bed ridden nor out of work from it. I routinely refuse the shot each year...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm So I decided not to take the shot and that year I did not get the flu and I then decided that I was not going to take flu shots ever again.
Well, you've been lucky. But I'm sure you recognise the limitations of dealing with a sample size of one. It's to avoid that bias that the Covid trials now in progress deal in tens of thousands.

It's easy to make light of 'flu because it is so common; but for some sections of the population, it's a real killer.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

geron wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:32 pm
Fred in Skirts wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm So I decided not to take the shot and that year I did not get the flu and I then decided that I was not going to take flu shots ever again.
Well, you've been lucky. But I'm sure you recognise the limitations of dealing with a sample size of one. It's to avoid that bias that the Covid trials now in progress deal in tens of thousands.

It's easy to make light of 'flu because it is so common; but for some sections of the population, it's a real killer.
I think the issue this year is the possibility of having covid-19 and the flu at or near the same time. Such a combination I would say would certainly increase anyone's mortality rate, regardless of prior health conditions, good or bad.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Fred, if you were able to function then you didn't have the flu - just a viral infection. The age-old test for the flu is that ( in your case ) if you drop a $100 note away from the bed and the patient gets up to pick it up then it's just a cold or viral infection, if the patient doesn't then it's the flu. I have had the flu and viruses and the former keeps me bed-ridden for 2 weeks at least. I know the difference. But it was put to me that if I got the flu or a bad viral unfection along with Covid then it would probably kill me. I decided not to take any chances so you may wish to consider this carefully.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I had a confirmed flu case when I was a very small child (under 10), and I remember it well. What's worse is I caught it on a trip to Long Island NY to visit family, and would up spending the whole time in bed.

After that I caught something bad in 2004 that lasted about two weeks. I'm not sure what it was because I had no insurance so never went to the doctor. I still drudged through work all but one day when I called out. But I was miserable.

At its peak I was running a 104.9 degree temp, Jenn finally ran a cool bath to get it down (along with some Tylenol). I know they say to go to the E.R. when it gets like that, but you're looking at a $5,000 dollar bill just to walk in the door, plus treatment cost... I made $5.50 per hour then.... no way.

Besides if I had of died, the world would just be less one more piece of trailer trash scum. No big deal. (If people actually cared, we'd DEMAND Universal Health Care.... but they don't care... full stop.)

On the upside, situations like that are what ultimately led me to wearing skirts (and by that, NOT caring what people think about it)... I mean really, why should one give a crap what society thinks of you anyway? They don't give a damn about you, if you die tomorrow, they just shrug their shoulders and walk away.... why do we try to impress people who don't care about our hides?
-Andrea