Greetings from Nový Knín

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Greetings from Nový Knín

Post by miloshlavka »

Greetings to all.
I'm 58 years old and I'm living in Nový Knín (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... _Kn%C3%ADn), a little town in Central Bohemian Region and the venue of World Gold Panning Championships 2020 (due to corona pandemic unfortunately in reduced attendance; I visited it, wearing kilt of course, and I wasn't there the only man dressed this way - one of Czech organisers weared skirt, one referee and some competitors kilts). But I'm probably the only one citizen of our town and around here who regularly wears a kilt in public, if the weather is convenient for it. (And I wear cheap skirts from second-hand shops often at home or occasionally in the nature. But it seems, that skirt-convenient weather ends, for this year...)

I can't promise that I will contribute often to this site, because my English is very, very simple. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

Miloš H., Nový Knín, Central Bohemia
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Greetings from Nový Knín

Post by Kirbstone »

Welcome Milos, Your English is just fine and you're a fine figure of a man in your picture. That's an awfully big church for a village with only one inhabitant.....you! :)
Ireland has a small population, but to get a town square pic. here with no people in it, it would have to be taken at 3.30 AM in the pitch dark night.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

You look fine, Milos and your English is good and understandable. It's only on a site like this where we can bost a truly international membership. Like you most of my skirts have come from ebay or charity shops with a few donated by my wife. The more you involve yourself by contributing the more you will get out of it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Uncle Al

Post by Uncle Al »

Hi Milos and :welcome:

This time of year, the "Potted Palm Tree" is in the greenhouse being protected
from the cold. So, grab a cup and have a seat near the fireplace :D
Enjoy the companionship of like minded men :D

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

As another white-haired, beardie skirt/kilt wearer, I'd like to add my welcome too, Miloshlavka. Some years ago I enjoyed a wonderful walking holiday in Bohemia, though unfortunately I hadn't then discovered the pleasures of skirts and kilts. But if I return (there's every reason to -- and not just the beer and the food), I shall wear a skirt with confidence :-)
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Greetings Milos, and welcome aboard.

Don't fret overly about your English, it works just fine. We're from all over the planet, so there are quite a few here for whom English is very definitely a second language.

Nice kilt, and that town square is a beauty. We sure have nothing like that where I live!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

Welcome aboard from another 'isolated' spot where I may be the only guy routinely in a skirt -- Costa Rica (Gold Coast -- but dang little of the yellow stuff when panning here!) .

You find my posts noting the utility of thrift shops for shopping and skirts -- just grab a couple longer/heavier ones for those winter days; or check the threads on all the stuff some of guys on this site wear under their skirts for extra warmth and pizazz!

How old is the stonework in your square? Most towns and villages here still have a central square or park -- mostly grass and trees -- such a nice feature for a touch of humanity.

Pura Vida,
Faldaguy
andrewsh

Post by andrewsh »

miloshlavka wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:53 pm Greetings to all.
I'm 58 years old and I'm living in Nový Knín (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... _Kn%C3%ADn)
Ahoj Miloš, pozdravujem z Bratislavy :)

(Hi Miloš, Greetings from Bratislava)
miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

To andrewsh:
Thanks, the same to you. - Ďakujem, nápodobne. - Děkuji, nápodobně. - Спасибо, также. - Grazie, altretando.
Everyone should be honest and prudent: to keep promises and, on principle, never to promise anything to anyone.
Sorry for my English. I try not to make spelling mistakes, but for this reason my writing is very slow.

miloshlavka
Distinguished Member

Post by miloshlavka »

For Faldaguy: "How old is the stonework in your square?"

It depends on which stonework (I hope I understand the sense of "stonework" correctly).

For example paving is relatively new - about 1950 (previously thhere was another one - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... adnici.jpg). The fountain (non visible, behind the back of the camera, https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... _Kn%C3%ADn) has been built in 1837. Town hall (also non visible - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... _Kn%C3%ADn) is cca from 17th-18th centuries, built on the older foundations (there is one little gothic portal from cca 14th century in the interior of the first floor).

And the Saint Nicholas church (behind my back) has foundations from 12th century (walls of the church nave are mostly from that epoch and they are wide about 2 m), but it was several times rebuilt, especially after war damages (15th century and 1639) or fires (1524). For example the form of church windows is baroque from the reconstruction about 1770, the top of the church tower is from the last large restoration in 1937 (form of its is the approximate copy of its look before 1890, when it was damaged by the windstorm; the look of the church between 1890 and 1937 is there: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... ASkola.jpg).

Is this information sufficient? :D