MORAL, US politics this week

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MORAL, US politics this week

Post by moonshadow »

Freedomforall wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 pm What happens when a president does not succeed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcQ26h ... zG5V0eXDh0
His bias is showing... he calls the election "illegitimate" several times, despite the fact moderate to liberal sources claim there is no evidence to support this. Conservative sources say otherwise...

Hmmmmmm.... who's being honest here, how can we really know?

Remember who called it first on THIS thread.... Trump is our dictator, for the rest of His life, and when He passes on, His dynasty shall rule forever.

I suggest we polish up a crown and place it on His head, and we'd better learn how to pay proper and due respect to our Emporer, Lord God, His highness, Supreme being of the Universe!

This old boy knows a cult when he sees one, and Trump, let me tell you, even Jesus Christ abides in His shadow.

And that ain't blasphemy, it's the God damned truth.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:40 amThis old boy knows a cult when he sees one, and Trump, let me tell you, even Jesus Christ abides in His shadow.

Kingmaker or convict. We need to be patient to see which path is chosen.

Patience, it is oft said, is a virtue; however, to crib a wonderful crack my late grandmother made in late 2004 whilst following her beloved Boston Red Sox (baseball team), "At my age I am getting to be a bit impatient!". I immediately came 'round and said, "Mom, they just came back from a three-nil deficit in a series with the (New York) Yankees. I think they may have a chance." She deadpanned it, of course, and cracked, "We'll see." (which is code in my family for, "No friggin' way!") In time, in 2005, the Red Sox prevailed and won another World Series of baseball -- the second she'd seen them do, the last one being in 1917. She was gone a couple of weeks later. I miss her and her wisdom greatly. She was patient.

Then there was a pin-on button that my dad had hung from a string on his rearview-mirror with a viking wielding an axe on it and a caption of, "Patience my a$$, I'm going to kill something!"

I line up more with my grandmum. But, like her, I am getting somewhat impatient for the problems to be solved and I don't see a workable path forward.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Carl, give Uncle Joe a chance.

Moonshadow, you too. And fear not, I just saw a piece by a retired high-ranking military man reminding all of us civilians that the US military is unique in the world for pledging loyalty to the Constitution, not to a person or even the office they may hold. The Constitution.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:43 am Moonshadow, you too. And fear not, I just saw a piece by a retired high-ranking military man reminding all of us civilians that the US military is unique in the world for pledging loyalty to the Constitution, not to a person or even the office they may hold. The Constitution.
And if Trump should eek out a power grab through some buried constitutional technicality, as was indicated in FFA's posted video, which by the way, was not to first time I've heard of this plot, among other options Trump has (hence my earlier prediction)... then what?

The constitution states that "the people" have no say in who's chosen for president, that power rest with electors chosen by the legislatures of the various states, and should that method fail, then by the house.

Many people I know personally don't bother to vote in presidential elections for this very reason. I researched their reason and found it to be factual, nevertheless for pretty much my entire life I've always felt that no candidate could ever truly buck the will of the people.

Then again, I never thought I'd see the day when the people who raised me, and the people who surrounded me during my entire life would look up from their bibles, close it, and crown a "man" like Trump king of kings.

Biden may find himself in the Whitehouse yet come January, but I'm not putting any money on it. Dave, you live in a very progressive region of a very progressive state. I just don't think you're hearing the local rumblings that I am in Appalachia, less than an hour from Tennessee.

These people are ready to go to war if Biden wins. [0] They are convinced he is the one trying to "steal" the election, and many seem perfectly willing to lay down their very lives (and their freedom it would seem) simply for the honor of Trump.

And I'm not just talking about the typical local yokel "Johnny Six Pack" trailer trash, entire police forces and Sheriffs departments, and other well armed ideological militias are forming, just waiting on Trump's signal.

[0] He may have won the election, but he hasn't yet won the office.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:52 pmAnd I'm not just talking about the typical local yokel "Johnny Six Pack" trailer trash, entire police forces and Sheriffs departments, and other well armed ideological militias are forming, just waiting on Trump's signal.
Do you have any idea how fast the federal army would crush such a joke? And do not think for a minute such an uprising would not be crushed swiftly and brutally. Remember who calls the shots.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:43 amCarl, give Uncle Joe a chance.
I will, if he ascends the throne, the same way I did with Obama. However, this time I'm not going to be starry-eyed about hope and change: I'm going to watch this one with the steely eyes of a hawk because once betrayed there exists no trust in a system.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:07 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:52 pmAnd I'm not just talking about the typical local yokel "Johnny Six Pack" trailer trash, entire police forces and Sheriffs departments, and other well armed ideological militias are forming, just waiting on Trump's signal.
Do you have any idea how fast the federal army would crush such a joke? And do not think for a minute such an uprising would not be crushed swiftly and brutally. Remember who calls the shots.
I'm not so sure, war can be very profitable, and there are oligarchs in other regions of the globe that would love to see the U.S. crumble.

Trump may be contrary to the wishes of the U.S. oligarchs, but I am starting to believe they [the U.S. oligarchs] are not the global powerhouse they used to be. There are strong foreign interest that want to see Trump remain in power. Those foreign nations have their own oligarchs, and I submit that they may be the ones pulling the levers here.

The most important question remains, who has their finger on the big red button?

Trumps recent executive order regarding banning certain Chinese investments is sure anger the communist regime. Something is going on here, something big is about to happen. Likely bigger than any event in human history. The chess pieces are still being arranged.
-Andrea
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:23 pmI'm not so sure, war can be very profitable, and there are oligarchs in other regions of the globe that would love to see the U.S. crumble.
Recall what you're dealing with, and recall that the machine will move to defend itself at any cost -- including firing on its own citizens. And it will do so with impunity. It's been done before, and it'll be done again.
Trump may be contrary to the wishes of the U.S. oligarchs, but I am starting to believe they [the U.S. oligarchs] are not the global powerhouse they used to be. There are strong foreign interest that want to see Trump remain in power.
Trump is at least controllable -- and has been under control (where it matters) since ascending the throne. All the local oligarchs want is more and they're going to consume the United States first because it's low-hanging fruit. Then it'll either get insanely dangerous if they try to rape the rest of the world, or comical if they start preying on each other to satisfy their insatiable greed.
The most important question remains, who has their finger on the big red button?
Most likely the SAC high command. I do not think they would allow P-45 direct access or command authority.
Trumps recent executive order regarding banning certain Chinese investments is sure anger the communist regime. Something is going on here, something big is about to happen. Likely bigger than any event in human history. The chess pieces are still being arranged.
We live in interesting times. We have become the ancient Chinese curse.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:17 pm It's been done before, and it'll be done again.
Indeed....

https://youtu.be/TRE9vMBBe10

Though I fear this time, they'll make the 1960s look like a walk in the park...
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:40 am
Freedomforall wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 pm What happens when a president does not succeed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBcQ26h ... zG5V0eXDh0
His bias is showing... he calls the election "illegitimate" several times, despite the fact moderate to liberal sources claim there is no evidence to support this. Conservative sources say otherwise...

Hmmmmmm.... who's being honest here, how can we really know?

Remember who called it first on THIS thread.... Trump is our dictator, for the rest of His life, and when He passes on, His dynasty shall rule forever.

I suggest we polish up a crown and place it on His head, and we'd better learn how to pay proper and due respect to our Emporer, Lord God, His highness, Supreme being of the Universe!

This old boy knows a cult when he sees one, and Trump, let me tell you, even Jesus Christ abides in His shadow.

I agree the messenger is biased and I hesitated in posting this due to that. However, my main concern is if the message and information is correct.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have read that a group of Fortune 500 company CEO's have met to determine what to do, including corporate relocations, if Trump should try to stay in power. I don't know how many there are or what they could actually do and if it would have any effect but it is maybe a start of a corporate "rebellion". I have been hearing that His court submissions are being thrown out, one by one. But the process of confirming the Electoral College is a bit disturbing and subject to possible party bias, should there be those with a kamikazi frame of mind. That there are other alternative, as in the video, in which "the will of the people" in an election can be utterly disregarded and subjected to party vote is more than disturbing. You have a really screwed up election system even if it was originally designed to have fail safes built in. As they say "you live in interesting times£". AFAIK if an election over here doesn't produce a workable result then we have another election.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
geron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by geron »

Simon Kuper, who writes a perceptive column in the Financial Times on Saturdays, reckons that it's the changing motivation of voters that has led to the present situation in the US (he lives in Paris and hence is simply an observer):

"Before Trump, I thought politics was an argument about how to improve people’s lives. It turns out to be more like a ratings game. A possible explanation: once the material problems that drove voting in the 1945-2015 era were sufficiently ameliorated, many western voters moved on to identity problems, skipping existential problems entirely. Trump showed how easily we can be distracted. With fires burning in the woods around their house, voters invited an entertainer into the living room to spend four years smashing the furniture." [FT.COM Magazine, November 14/15]
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I see that 4 of the states have said that they would not participate in the morally and probably illegal scheme of selecting electors that would give their votes to Trump.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Sinned wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:30 am I see that 4 of the states have said that they would not participate in the morally and probably illegal scheme of selecting electors that would give their votes to Trump.
I heard about that too.

If we dodge this bullet, I highly suggest that the U.S. dismantle the electoral college once in for all. AT THE VERY LEAST, find some way to mandate the electors cast their votes in compliance with the popular vote of their given state.

The e.c. basically works on the "honor system" today, as far as casting its votes to the popular vote candidate.

As we have seen, some candidates are NOT very honorable.
-Andrea
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, honour MAY be satisfied this time - a bit early yet as the meeting hasn't taken place, but what is alarming is that there is even the possibility of it happening. It is said to be illegal according to state law but I'll bet that none of this has been tested in the courts yet ....

BTW, as a result of all these shenanigans I understand the US election system much better. But I still fail to see why the EC is even needed or was ever needed. Maybe as an outsider looking in I'm missing something but it's just a needless complication and, as has been noted, subject to partisan abuse. Simply vote for a nominee President ,one person, one vote - the one getting the most votes wins. Simples.