Safety Tips for Winter Driving

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Safety Tips for Winter Driving

Post by Uncle Al »

Safety Tips For Driving In Snow JPG 2020-11-04.jpg
Will this work for everyone :?:

Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Safety Tips for Winter Driving

Post by denimini »

Not in my hemisphere :) I am not sure about the need for winter tyres here either :roll: and I can see palm trees from my carport ........... so that isn't very far :lol:
Otherwise, I imagine they would be welcome tips for many and perhaps should be mandatory :)
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Chirp
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Chirp »

Winter is almost here, I want to do these tips,
But canadian border is closed and i can only go so far south,,,
No one mess's with a big guy in kilt
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well if we were to head south there's nowhere that's open. Spain, France, Holland, Belgium are all closed. And we don't want to go north to Norway and the other Scandinavian countries. So I guess that we will settle down, lay on the bed watching TV or reading and hibernate the winter out. We've been told that our store has to close for the month long break but there's plenty to do, we've been told that. Click and Collect will go through the roof - it did last lockdown and it's been busy enough anyway. The store and in particular its shelves are looking untidy because we've been so busy ( and slightly short-staffed ) that our usual standards have slipped. So there's all that work to do ready for opening up and the Christmas layout and rush [0]. Then very quickly after that will be the New Year sales and replanning yet again. It's all work, work, work.

[0] Instead of October to December the shopping interval will be compressed into December so it will hopefully be busy, busy, busy.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Riding your bike is much saver then your car.

I own a mountain bike with fat snow tyres, and I'm still waiting for the first snow in years in this country. Oh well, people do react when they see me riding on that bike.

This picture was taken looking south to Alphen aan den Rijn* on the Old Rhine that is (*old roman army camp called 'Albanianae' )

The summers are to hot, and the winters are not cold enough anymore.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

Rokje wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:08 pm Riding your bike is much safer than your car.

I own a mountain bike with fat snow tyres, and I'm still waiting for the first snow in years in this country. Oh well, people do react when they see me riding on that bike.
Nice bike Marica. :)
The fat snow tyres must have a suspension effect and give you a smooth ride?

I wonder if people are reacting to seeing your big woven wicker basket on the handlebars of a mountain bike. :wink:
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

shadowfax wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:28 pm
Rokje wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:08 pm Riding your bike is much safer than your car.

Nice bike Marica. :)
The fat snow tyres must have a suspension effect and give you a smooth ride?

I wonder if people are reacting to seeing your big woven wicker basket on the handlebars of a mountain bike. :wink:
They don't. They have to be very hard, the softer the tyre, the harder to ride.
Lol no, almost every dutch bike has a basket, they even use Heineken or other beer brands cases as a basket.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too

8)
Faldaguy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Faldaguy »

by Rokje » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

Indeed. Fat tired bikes are becoming quite the rage everywhere, especially electric ones. But, better wear a long Utility skirt & ....? unless you find some fenders to go with that snow! :D
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Faldaguy wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:13 am
by Rokje » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:08 am

Indeed. Fat tired bikes are becoming quite the rage everywhere, especially electric ones. But, better wear a long Utility skirt & ....? unless you find some fenders to go with that snow! :D
I wear the unisex skirts from Skirtcraft when I go cycling. I love them a lot. I don't want an electric bike, I have to lose weight, so womanpower only.
My BMI is now 31, and it has to be at least 27/28 for my operation sometime next year.
This little story is a bit offtopic, I'm sorry about that.

8)
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I have never seen snow tyres on a bicycle (not surprising where I live). They do look like they could be good in soft sand though which is disasterous with narrow tyres.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

denimini wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:18 am I have never seen snow tyres on a bicycle (not surprising where I live). They do look like they could be good in soft sand though which is disasterous with narrow tyres.
I know for sure that these fat tyres are super soft when going downhill on a snowy mountain slope, or in sand dunes.

Our Volvo V40 diesel is now on winter tyres, they are way softer then normal tyres.

8)
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have only ever seen tyres like that on a bike in a city centre. Out where I live surrounded by mud, mountains and large bodies of water I have never seen anyone riding a bike like that. I have never tried riding one, and now my knees are giving up I probably never will. However the fatter theyres I have had, the more the apparent drag and the harder to pedal, so unless I suddenly decide to try and pedal across a peat bog, I will stick to a less trendy, but easier to pedal, thinner tyre. If I can get my knees to cooperate!
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Not 400 yards from my front gate lies a classic raised sphagnum peat bog of several square miles in area & with a 'flat' top that is in fact convex, the highest place being some 40-odd feet above the base gravel. Those 40 feet are pure vegetable peat, ever more dense the deeper one goes. Walking across the firm top, one needs to be very vigilant to identify the fissures, betrayed by a change in surface vegetation. Fortunately they are not wide and with care can be stepped across.

Should one be unfortunate enough to fall into a fissure, one can find ones self some 25-30 feet down, wedged between walls of solid peat and they mightn't find you for 4000 years !

Nowhere to go cycling, for sure, fat tyres or no.

I frequently walk my dogs up to the vertical cut face, where the last workings were done, but never across the high top. A no-go area for dogs.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !