MORAL, US politics this week

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Re: MORAL, US politics this week

Post by Gusto10 »

Rokje wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:53 pm From over here Trump looks like the elephant in a porcelain store. But he got some things right. China is the big red danger that we should watch closely. He managed to stir up the economy until covid19 hit it hard.

But his speeches, they are full of crap, and dangerous to some people because they trust him. Remember the bleach story?

Just from my perspective Biden is the right choice. America has to be much greener, and it will, and it will bring more jobs then the old fashioned industry will ever had. It will not work in the next 4 years, but for the planet, it is the way to go. For all of us. For the future.

Over here in Europe on that tiny spot at the North Sea, we try, but fail deeply. We are big in water issues, but environmental we missed the boat on that part. We burn wood to lower our CO2 emissions. What were they thinking? Sunlight and windmills is not enough, will nuclear energy be the answer? If we find a solution the nuclear waste, I'm OK with it. But the waste is still a problem
The little spek along the North Sea won't be able to alter anything. Pollution has no borders. The problem is that the EU in Brussels hasn't got the power to do anything eventhough Frans Timmermans with the assistance of Diederik Samson, former Green Peace director, pretends he has the power to dictate changes. That is the aattitude which brought us the Brexit. What will happen as soon as Merkel isn't there anymore and Macron replaced by Ms Le Pen?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:55 pm https://youtu.be/vW-ImCVDsWk

Carl, this video makes me think of some of your post here...
It would seem that YouTube has decided to block audio for folks using Firefox on Linux platforms. I can see the video, but hear no audio.
I'd be curious of your thoughts on a so called "people's party".
It'd be a useful thing, but unless it was absolutely incorruptible (an impossible thing) it'd rapidly get co-opted to do the bidding of the rich "donors' (purchasers). Essentially a non-starter.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:23 pm

Carl, this video makes me think of some of your post here...
It would seem that YouTube has decided to block audio for folks using Firefox on Linux platforms. I can see the video, but hear no audio.
I'd be curious of your thoughts on a so called "people's party".
It'd be a useful thing, but unless it was absolutely incorruptible (an impossible thing) it'd rapidly get co-opted to do the bidding of the rich "donors' (purchasers). Essentially a non-starter.
Works for me. Firefox on Linux.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

partlyscot wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 am
crfriend wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:23 pm
Works for me. Firefox on Linux.
Firefox 78.3.0esr (64-bit), CentOS release 6.10 (Final), Gateway NV53A laptop. Other audio applications (e.g. xmms, mpg123) work fine, it seems confined to YouTube and Firefox. I was wondering whether some of my anti-advertising DNS configurations were causing the issue, so I pointed my DNS resolver at 8.8.8.8 (Google's server) and got no joy from that. I would say that the thing is blocked.

So I listened to it on my work-issue laptop (in defiance of I have no idea how many directives, edicts, and rules).

The narrator hits all the high points very plainly, clearly, and eloquently; he exposes very nicely the obscene corruption of the major parties. However, he stops short of calling the thing an oligarchy -- although that may just be for editorial effect. The outcome is the same. I really didn't need to spend ten minutes having my already informed opinion verified, but it's nice to know I'm not alone howling in the wilderness.

PDX Dave might appreciate it.

As far as a viable third party goes, it's very important to note that the current system will be adamantly opposed to it and would likely go to extreme lengths to maintain the status-quo. Is one needed? Absolutely. Will it ever get off the ground? I'd posit that it'd be doubtful -- at least in the modern USA.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Looks like Biden has won.

Thank goodness you have an adult in the White House again.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Ray wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:02 pm Looks like Biden has won.

Thank goodness you have an adult in the White House again.
It ain't over yet, he still has his hand picked high court firmly in his pocket. He also has an army of disciples waiting for the call to go to all out war.

This is far from over. This is only chapter two....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Moon, I don’t think the legal battle will go very far. From what I’ve read, he doesn’t have a legal leg to stand on.

However, his crazy militia are something else entirely. That could get messy. I hope sanity prevails.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In a way the US is in the same position over the election ( 50% Biden, 50% Trump ) as we were in over Brexit. You'll have half dissatisfied over the new President as we had half dissatisfied over the decision to leave. There is a major difference in that your population is more heavily armed and possibly prepared to use them.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Ray wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:29 pmHowever, his crazy militia are something else entirely. That could get messy. I hope sanity prevails.
A few rednecks with assault-style weapons are no match for a trained military -- and recall that what was once the US National Guard are now defacto front-line hardened troops with vastly larger weapons and more firepower than all of the petty "militias" in the country put together. The CoT Militia is entirely expendable in this game, and don't think for an instant that the machine that the oligarchs control won't kill its own citizens to protect itself.

The Supreme court remains a wildcard, and if Trump can get them involved anything becomes possible. I'm hoping he pitches a real high-profile tantrum and gets forced out early (or carried out feet first).

However, the bottom line remains that the general population of the United States have lost, yet again. The separation into the haves and the have-nots is going to continue at an accelerating pace until the super-wealthy have all of it. Recall that Biden is part of the machine (Trump was/is, too, else he'd have left office "feet first" before now).

There is no joy in Mudville.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Sometimes we elderly joke about when the white-coated carers gently take you by the hand and say 'Now you will come quietly, won't you?'

Lets all hope that the current White House incumbent will comply without undue fanfare.....or fireworks.

Tom
Last edited by Kirbstone on Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Tom

It feels like that, doesn’t it?
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

While I believe we could have done better than Biden, I'm personally happy to see that arrogant, obnoxious, orange, pumpkin faced son of a b...... get his.

Georgia (the defacto "capital of the south") is the cherry on the top....

Screenshot_20201106-182715_Chrome.jpg

Bye Don! :mrgreen:

Don't let the screen door hit ya where the good Lord split ya! :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pmBye Don! :mrgreen:
There remain eleven weeks until the putative move-out date from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. That's an eternity to come up with some manufactured crisis or some other dodge for him to stay in power.

One of my correspondents is sadly predicting "blood in the streets" as the Faithful revolt in support of Him. I hope that does not come to pass.

Personally, I think it'll be an infantile tantrum, and so long as he's kept away from the levers of power until the handover (to yet another corrupt regime) all will be more or less well. (Or as "well" as it can be...)
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:56 pm
moonshadow wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 pmBye Don! :mrgreen:
There remain eleven weeks until the putative move-out date from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. That's an eternity to come up with some manufactured crisis or some other dodge for him to stay in power.

One of my correspondents is sadly predicting "blood in the streets" as the Faithful revolt in support of Him. I hope that does not come to pass.

Personally, I think it'll be an infantile tantrum, and so long as he's kept away from the levers of power until the handover (to yet another corrupt regime) all will be more or less well. (Or as "well" as it can be...)
Well, I seem to recall him saying that if he lost he would "leave the country"....

Promises made, promises kept?? :twisted:

Russia would probably grant him citizenship...
-Andrea
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Change via a third party is desperately needed. They are all in bed with each other and not much will change until the two party system is disrupted. I will never forget this lady and her proclamation when Obama was elected. We put too much hope in politicians!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rT ... KbIE7Y7Ua8